: STS nav system firmware update help

farmerfox
09-11-08, 10:31 PM
Forgive me if this is covered elsewhere, I've had no luck finding an answer, only references to, this topic...

I recently purchased an '05 STS4 (1SG) with the nav system. Pretty dismal with the original nav disk, but I have the '09 maps ordered, and being an eternal optimist, expect them to be everything I (and many others) dream of from a luxury car nav system.

That bit of background leads to my request: I've seen references to getting firmware updates for the nav system and need some help finding reference numbers for the update(s).

Now, the GM Nav Disk people told me to talk to the dealer about what updates are available for my car. My dealer rolled his eyes (just like he did when I asked him to reprogram the transmission, which he eventually did, after I showed him a copy of the actual TSB (he said "never heard of it, prove it to me and I'll do it")), and then said that the Nav Disk people told him there were 3 updates available and to find out which one I wanted. I told him the latest one, to which he replied that they were all for different things and I had to tell him which one I wanted, but he didn't know the difference and the Nav Disk People wouldn't send him all 3 updates- only one...

First point- I live in the middle of nowhere and the next closest dealer is about an hour and a half away, so for the time being, this is the dealer I have to work with.

So, finally,my question: does anyone know what firmware updates are available for my nav system, and if my service manager is correct, what each of the 3 available does? To get him to do it for free, are there any associated TSB(s)? I am competent with electronics, is there any way to get my hands on the cd/dvd(s) or the appropriate files and a copy of the installation procedure so I can just do it myself?

And finally, for those of who who've taken the time to read this far, and I thank you for that, I have to assume that my nav system has XM radio capability, even though I don't have the button for it (maybe not available in Canada in '05?). Can I add XM to my nav system?

Thanks for your time and help. I'm learning and will hopefully be able to reciprocate the assistance in the future (even if to no one else but my father who just got an '08 STS- his nav system sucks too, but the '09 maps will make it right, I just know it...).

Cheers.

Cliff8928
09-12-08, 02:58 AM
If you add the XM tuner to your car, it should show up as an option. You *may* need to have it set up with a tech 2, but sometimes that's not necessary. The XM tuner would be on the rear shelf under the panel on the drivers side.

ansky0007
09-12-08, 07:37 AM
Nav system is the same in the 08's as it is in the 05's, If you think his 08 sucks so with your 05. Do some searches here for the nav firmware upgrade and you will find the info you are looking for. I believe the firmware update changes some of the memu options for memory and magnetic ride control but also had some bluetooth fixes. Not much of a difference.