: audio gurus, please step in

Black02SLPSS
09-11-08, 10:43 PM
Ok im fairly new to this site and i have a couple questions. First off i have a 98 catera with the standard audio package. My parents bought a bose head unit for the car when they owned it. Dad installed it and it powered on tuned in radio stations and played cds. Just like it was suppost to. However it did not produce sound. And with some research i found that it is just a pre amp and has amps in the trunk. Now what im wanting to know is would it be possible to use the head unit, and power the speakers with an aftermarket amp. Im also looking to replace the speakers with aftermarket ones. I dont mind running wire if i need to. This car is eventually going to be for my wife once i get it running and she doesnt care for aftermarket headunits. Too fancy for her i guess. So thats what im curious about, just using the head unit to play cds and send the signal to the amp then to the speakers. When all is said and done i hope to have the headunit as the only stock item as far as the stereo is concerned.

Thanks, Jon

Cliff8928
09-12-08, 04:09 AM
The Bose system in the Caterá is quite different from average. The Caterá uses a sound processor along with the amplifier. You may have to add that into the system as well in order to get it to work, even with a different amplifier. Someone else may know better. The audio signal goes from the radio, to the processor, then to the amp and finally to the speakers.

Black02SLPSS
09-12-08, 10:57 AM
Dont most aftermarket amps have sound processors built in?

still_walkin
09-14-08, 07:19 AM
yeah they do have processors. you can do it but the speakers you are going to buy has to match the ohms for the bose unit. you also need a line convertor to convert the factory wiring harness to rca preouts for the amps. other thant that it would work. it easyier to get the factory radio plug it in or get a simple aftermarket head unit rerun new wire and speakers

Black02SLPSS
09-14-08, 12:53 PM
I thought that since the bose unit was just a preamp and doesnt actually power the speakers, that you would only need to match the ohms of the aftermarket amp?

still_walkin
09-14-08, 01:30 PM
Bose is set at 1ohm so if you can geta 1 ohm stable amp u should be good I don't like mixing bose with after market but hey that's me

Black02SLPSS
09-14-08, 07:18 PM
Do you happen to know who makes a 1 ohm stable 4 channel amp?

still_walkin
09-14-08, 07:36 PM
On the amp box you had when you bought hould say if its 1 ohm stable. Another to find out is to google the model number and brand togeter and you should get the specs and that should let you know. What's the model and brand name

Black02SLPSS
09-14-08, 08:27 PM
I dont have an amp just yet. I was curious if you knew of a company who manufactures them off hand