: 2006 sts- low fuel warning

atraumanurse
09-11-08, 09:08 AM
I looked down at gas gauge and realized that I was on empty. I thought there was a low fuel warning on this car. I put in 16.8 gallons on a 17 gallon tank. I took it to the dealer thinking it did not work, Even they were suprisied to find it did not come on till a certain % of cpacity was gone. On the sts this amount is 1.4 gallon. Are they kidding. If you live or are driving on lone highways you are out of luck. Even here in Florida there are interstates which the distance is farther than 26-35 miles. Never mind if it is night. Who can we contact at Caddilac to protest this worthless feature

mbnv992
09-11-08, 09:19 AM
I just bought my new STS a few weeks ago, and was surprised to find the same thing. I'd be driving around, and I would notice the gas needle almost in the red (empty). So I was like, umm that's odd, no gas light/chime. I read the manual, and it claims that a "low range" is supposed to display in the DIC, and a chime is supposed to sound. However, I had no message, and no chime. OTOH, when I manually looked in the info. menu, to find out how many miles to empty, it DID display "low range", but I had to manually get it by pushing the info. button.
Very odd . . .

MARKVIII
09-11-08, 09:48 AM
i always keep my setting on "miles to empty"..i also never ever got a chime or a low fuel message.

cguthrie
09-11-08, 12:37 PM
Pretty sure I get a chime, definitely get a huge gas pump symbol on the Dash Information Center. You are about dry when it goes off!

CG
2005 1SG

rb92gt
09-11-08, 06:27 PM
Mine says LOW RANGE in the DIC and I have a chime when get to less than 40 miles range. Have noticed that if I leave the miles to empty screen on in the DIC, I don't always get the warning chime.

Just fill up when you get to a quarter tank because this is just an estimate anyways and the less fuel you have the worse the estimate (of course when you need it most).

farmerfox
09-11-08, 11:41 PM
It talks about this in the manual. If memory serves, the DIC "miles to empty" switches from a number to "low range" at a predicted 40miles until empty. I have tested this on both my '05 STS4 and my father's '08 STS and if it says 40 miles, you don't want to try to stretch it to the truck stop 41 miles down the road.

One thing to watch, too, is that if you are on the highway and it switches to "low range," and you have some city driving to do before you fill up, your 40 miles likely just shrunk to 30 (higher fuel consumption in city driving, typically).

Hope this helps, and you never test exactly how acurate your "miles to empty" reading really is.

dkozloski
09-12-08, 07:39 PM
Are you guys trying to wean your cars or something? In over 55 years of driving I have run out of gas one time and that time I was broke and didn't have money to buy more.

turnerbend
09-13-08, 12:01 AM
Seem like you guys need to get a gallon gas can and put it in the trunk. For 22 years had a pickup truck without gas gauge. Never ran out of gas, but I did keep a gallon of gas in the bed. I fill my 05 STS before it gets to 1/4 tank.

atraumanurse
09-13-08, 08:52 AM
The point of the post is a warning should be just that. When it comes to fuel a 100 mile warning is reasonable. Have you drove out west or at night when the next station may be 90 to 140 miles. My last sls car gave a warning at a quarter of a tank. A 40 miles to go is useless especially at highway speeds. When you buy lux you expect lux features. PERIOD

Superjim
09-13-08, 09:19 AM
Have you drove out west or at night when the next station may be 90 to 140 miles.

Yes I have.
In fact, I just came back from almost 6000 miles of driving out west.
Some of it was at night.

When the fuel gauge got down between 1/4 and 1/2, I started looking for a station to fill up. That just seemed like the prudent thing to do.

I didn't see any sense in testing OnStar in the middle of the night.. miles from anywhere. :)

I don't understand the point of seeing how far you can go before the low fuel warning comes on.

Mine has only came on ONE TIME in 46,000 miles. That was here in town... just to see if it worked.

It costs the same overall, to fillup at 1/4 or to fillup at empty.

As others have noted, it is also hard on your fuel pump (and expensive eventually) to run the tank dry.

I would rather spend the money on FUEL not FUEL PUMPS.

Texas Jim