: My Dilema - can't do V2 plus V1, can't let go of V1

razl
09-10-08, 03:49 PM
So here's my problem - I'm enthralled with everything I see and read about the V2. But, but, I don't think I could let go of the V1. Call me crazy, but as much as the V2 is a winner - and I mean a world beater - I think I really love my V1.

When I was into race motorcycles, I remember everyone who could get a Ducati (Italian) would make the point that it's faults just added "character". As someone who had Suzukis and Kawasakis that were relentlessly reliable, I'd sneer at them when they their babies had technical hiccups and chalk up the "character" line as a kind excuse. But now, I think I'm in the same boat. Lucky me, my V has been relatively problem free - but it does have it's quirks ("thunk!") but I think they've actually engendered me to like the car more rather than less. Egads, they add "character"!

The big problem for me unfortunately is cost - I couldn't afford both so I 'd have to ditch the V1. I just don't think I could bring myself to part with it. It's the first car I've truly loved, and I don't think I can just let her go (geez, do you think I'll still have her when I'm 80? Doubtful. But why rush it?)

Actually, the real problem? If I even could afford both, the V2 would be mine and the V1 would go to the wife. While I'm lucky enough to have a wife who appreciates and can drive (!) it, she isn't nit picky about taking care of vehicles. I couldn't stand watching it get the inevitable scratches, curb rash, and interior abuse that her lack of care would bring.

Unless I get a windfall, or until the V1 loses it's luster for me, I think I'm going to have to jealously love the V2 from afar (let's hope my V1 can't tell :shhh: ).

Cheers!

Albertan
09-11-08, 12:44 AM
I hear you about the wife part. She drives our CTS and parks it wherever. The front and back bumpers are scuffed. The sides look like someone has taken a hammer to it it has so many door dings. Now she wants a new one, like that will happen!
I'm thinking I'll be keeping my V1 for a long time or at least til I'm 60....

athomedad
09-11-08, 12:56 AM
Sold my 06 V to my brother-in-law a few months ago to allow for the V2 upgrade. I know it's in good hands and can visit anytime I want. He will even let me drive it.

Ordered my new V about 10 days ago...can't wait!

V-Love
09-11-08, 06:00 AM
I bet if you drive V2, you'll forget about V1. Just think about no wheel hop and 150+ extra ponies. Plus, we can't forget the Poptart!

CIWS
09-11-08, 09:24 AM
Then stick a maggie on your V1 and away you go :D

BeastMaster
09-11-08, 05:45 PM
Hey razl, I am in the exact same boat you are in, EXCEPT. I just had the 5th rearend put in it (all under warranty). I do not drive the car hard. The last one had less than 5000 miles. In May the lease is up and the buy out is 23,000. I can take that 23,000 and put it down on a V2. But then I'd have payments for another 4-5 years (but maybe a bulletproof car). I could keep the V1 and for $3400 get 5 year/100,000 mile extended warranty and then hope that within that 5 years some one either figures out how to put the 09 rearend in the 05, or builds a good rearend for the V1. if I do that, I still will not have a car that rides as well as the V2, nor has the refined interior, but i love that V1. The extra 150+HP is nice, but really, I do not need it.

I am driving my wife crazy trying to decide what to do. Besides all this, I am getting close to retiring and should be looking to reduce my monthly bills not add to them. The 09 would not be my daily ride, andIi do think it will hold its value better than the 05(do others agree with me on this?).
I totally understand your delema.

HiTechRV
09-13-08, 03:29 PM
If you can swing a V2 I say get it. I loved my V1 too but the V2 is just so much better a car. It may end up as the best American sedan ever made, and keep that title until we hit the next wave of performance wars in 20 years.