: more info on launch

odla
09-10-08, 07:33 AM
http://wardsauto.com/ar/cadillac_nears_launch_080903/

í09 Cadillac CTS-V Nears Launch
By Herb Shuldiner
WardsAuto.com, Sep 3, 2008 10:48 AM

WHITE PLAINS, NY Ė General Motors Corp. sets late October for Job One of the í09 Cadillac CTS-V.

The super speedster, which goes on sale in November and will take on high-performance competitors from Mercedes-Benz and BMW, will be assembled on the same line at the Lansing (MI) Grand River plant as the conventional CTS.

Cadillac bills the CTS-V as the fastest sedan for the money in the U.S. Volume targets have not been revealed, but John F. Howell, product director, says the plant could make as many as 8,000 CTS-Vs if demand develops.

That would equate to about 10% of CTS production, which has been averaging about 6,000 units per month. Howell expects annual CTS volume to be 70,000-80,000 units.

Although official pricing has yet to be announced, he forecasts the average transaction price for the í09 model in the low- to the mid-$60,000 range.

The revamped CTS-V offers a 6-speed automatic transmission that should increase the carís appeal, Howell says. Offered as a no-cost option, about two-thirds of CTS-V sales will be equipped with automatics, he predicts.

í09 model offers 6-speed automatic expected to increase CTS-Vís appeal.
A first-year sales target of 8,000 units is ďa little optimistic,Ē Howell admits. But there has been a lot of interest in the car at dealerships and on the Internet, he adds.

Half of CTS-V sales will be incremental to the brand, Howell predicts.

Because the automatic transmission will attract a new type of buyer to the CTS-V, Cadillac forecasts an increase in demand for a wider range of options. Past models were considered driverís cars, but more customers who select the automatic transmission will purchase additional comfort and entertainment features.

The CTS-V will be sold globally for the first time, with Europe, the Middle East and Asia considered prime export markets.

Related Stories
GM Reveals Secrets of í09 Cadillac CTS-V
GM Aims High With 550-hp í09 Cadillac CTS-V

Cadillac has been boasting of the CTS-Vís top speed of nearly 200 mph (322 km/h) during testing at the famed Nurburgring track in Germany. The principal German competitors have an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph (249 km/h), but Cadillac decided to not restrict the speed of the í09 CTS-V.

The new sports sedan is powered by a 6.2L V-8 generating 556 hp and 551 lb.-ft. (747 Nm) of torque. Itís the most powerful engine in Cadillacís 106-year history.

Cadillac is hopeful this level of power will make the CTS-V a more serious contender in a segment benchmarked by the Mercedes E63 and BMW M5.

BMW of North America LLC says M5 sales totaled 988 units in the U.S. through July 31, about 60% of worldwide sales.

Mercedes-Benz USA is unable to provide a specific number for E63 sales but says the model accounts for about 5% of E-Class sales. It delivered 25,101 E-Class cars through July, putting U.S. E-63 volume at about 1,200-plus units.

GM expects CTS-V sales to surpass those totals by a wide margin.

vperl
09-11-08, 11:36 PM
If perchance, GM is serious ,low 60K is still a tad different when one remembers that the GT-R a real speedy devil has a low MSRP FULLY loaded .

Saleman seem to get a cut of some sort, or want to make an impression that a HIGHER price is just fine. But, how many of the sales force actually drop cash on the table and purchase these cars. I suspect many are busy scurring about when the lights are turned on. No offense but it never really seems that salesman of any type really care about what they can do to help
a customer that has not a "blank check", a load of cash just waiting to cast off at the local dealership. Other manufacturers have decent vehicles that are competitive, without taking or attempting to take the last dime from a WORKING American with limited funds. No silver spooned fellow over here to have daddy buy the car.:shhh:

LV_V
09-12-08, 12:19 AM
huh?

Cadillac Tony
09-12-08, 12:49 AM
If perchance, GM is serious ,low 60K is still a tad different when one remembers that the GT-R a real speedy devil has a low MSRP FULLY loaded .

Saleman seem to get a cut of some sort, or want to make an impression that a HIGHER price is just fine. But, how many of the sales force actually drop cash on the table and purchase these cars. I suspect many are busy scurring about when the lights are turned on. No offense but it never really seems that salesman of any type really care about what they can do to help
a customer that has not a "blank check", a load of cash just waiting to cast off at the local dealership. Other manufacturers have decent vehicles that are competitive, without taking or attempting to take the last dime from a WORKING American with limited funds. No silver spooned fellow over here to have daddy buy the car.:shhh:

Is it really necessary for you to post this same garbage in every thread? If you don't think the CTS-V is a good deal at $60k base, less than $70k loaded:

GO BUY ANOTHER CAR.

It's really annoying seeing the exact same post in every thread here, not to mention the fact that I don't care for the rude comment about Salesmen. There's no nefarious plot afoot to steal your hard earned money- just an awesome car for $30k less than a comparably sized and equipped M5.

vperl
09-12-08, 01:13 AM
If anyone is offended by remarks I can only say, "sorry". Loaded mid 60K is ok with most, I did not forget to mention that the Nissan GT-R has a very reasonable MSRP, if you might know??? Tell me that the CTS-V is a better car than the GT-R at both cars MSRP, which the CTS-V has no MSRP

If the CTS-V MSRP is higher than that speedy devil GT-R MSRP, one has to think something is afoot.

Again, if anyone feels put upon or slighted I am very sorry, my best :worship: friend is a saleman. Bad me.:tisk:

MacOSR
09-12-08, 08:33 AM
just an awesome car for $30k less than a comparably sized and equipped M5.

Having owned both an M5 and a CTS-V I can tell you that they are not the same size. The M5 is MUCH roomier inside then the CTS-V. Having said that, the new CTS-V is a nice car. However, unless the new CTS-V is much better quality then the v1 and unless GM now gives good warranty service I wouldn't say the CTS-V is the same as an M5 but 30k cheaper.

I mean come on...lets not forget that GM was wanting to deny warranty work on interior parts that were falling off. They wanted to deny warranty work on diffs, the wheel hop, seats wearing out in 18 months, ...

Don't get me wrong, the CTS-V is a nice car. I am considering a CTS-V (2010 or 2011 to see how it holds up) but I certainly would not consider it an M5 replacement. I am planning on getting an 09 M6 and an 09 M3 and consider the CTS-V as a possible replacement for the M3, not my M5.

Cadillac Tony
09-12-08, 09:27 AM
Look up the specs on the 5 series and CTS- they're almost identical. In fact, here they are:

2008 Cadillac CTS / 2008 535i

Wheelbase (in.) 113.4 / 113.7
Length (in.) 191.6 / 191.1
Height (in.) 58.0 / 57.8
Width (in.) 72.5 / 72.7
Track (front) 61.8 / 61.3
Track (rear) 62.0 / 62.2

Head Room (front) (in.) 38.8 / 39.1
Head Room (rear) (in.) 37.2 / 38.1
Hiproom (front) (in.) 55.1 / not listed
Hiproom (rear) (in.) 54.1 / not listed
Leg Room (front) (in.) 42.4 / 41.5
Leg Room (rear) (in.) 35.9 / 36.0
Shoulder Room (front) (in.) 56.7 / 57.3
Shoulder Room (rear) (in.) 54.7 /57.2

People keep saying everywhere on the Internet that the 5 is bigger than a CTS, but it's just not true. As far as the interior, I think every review has been unanimous in praising the interior fit and finish:

Materials are high in quality, and the level of detailing in this car is comparable to the top import nameplates. Plus, its pleasing mix of available wood accents and tasteful alloy trim make the CTS interior one of the most elegant designs in its class.

Better still, unlike the previous CTS, the 2008 edition carries its edgy exterior theme and penchant for beauty right into the cockpit. In comparison, the Mercedes C350 cabin looks bleak and severe; the Honda Accord's dash seems fussy -- and not as well made. Cadillac's interior team has balanced form, function, and panache as deftly as we've seen it done -- in some ways (that brilliantly simple yet powerful nav/info system) better than anyone.

The one point I'll concede is the Service issue. Some Dealers are great, while we've all heard horror stories about some of the idiot Service Departments out there. That being said, you run into crummy BMW and MB Dealers too, so it's tough to say exactly how Cadillac's ratio of Good/Bad dealers really looks.

urbanski
09-12-08, 09:29 AM

taking input.
shall we vote this member off the island?
reply here

Kadonny
09-12-08, 09:32 AM
If anyone is offended by remarks I can only say, "sorry". Loaded mid 60K is ok with most, I did not forget to mention that the Nissan GT-R has a very reasonable MSRP, if you might know??? Tell me that the CTS-V is a better car than the GT-R at both cars MSRP, which the CTS-V has no MSRP

If the CTS-V MSRP is higher than that speedy devil GT-R MSRP, one has to think something is afoot.

Again, if anyone feels put upon or slighted I am very sorry, my best :worship: friend is a saleman. Bad me.:tisk:

Why are you comparing a 2 door coupe with a 4 door sedan? Compare the GTR to the Z06 and the CTS-V to the M cars or AMG cars. Even better yet, let's compare the CTS-V to the upscale Nissan Infinity M45.

I just optioned out an Infinity M45 on Infinity's web page with a premium package and upgraded 18" wheels. This car is comparibly equipped to the CTS-V, but can't hold a candle to it performance wise. Care to know what the MSRP of the M45 is? $ 61,890.

So which car would you rather have for 62k, the CTS-V or the M45.

No brainer, now stop with your silly comparison of the V to the GTR and go away.

lusterblade
09-12-08, 09:48 AM
Having owned both an M5 and a CTS-V I can tell you that they are not the same size. The M5 is MUCH roomier inside then the CTS-V....I am planning on getting an 09 M6 and an 09 M3 and consider the CTS-V as a possible replacement for the M3, not my M5.

damnit...I did all this work and tony posts before me.;) oh well, i'll post it anyways.

...........................5 series........3 series........CTS
Capacity & Volume
Cargo Volume (EPA)......14..............12..............14
Fuel Capacity.............18.5............16.6......... ...18
Towing.......................NR..............NL... ...........1000
Seating (Standard)......5...............5...............5
EPA Class...............MIDSIZE.........COMPACT....... ..MIDSIZE
Passenger Volume (EPA)..99..............93..............96

Interior Dimensions
Head Room (Fr)...........39.1............38.5............38. 8
Head Room (2nd).........38.1............37.5............37.2
Leg Room (Fr)............41.5............41.5.............. 42.4
Leg Room (2nd)..........36..............34.6.............35 .9
Shldr Room (Fr)..........57.3............55.4............56.7
Shldr Room (2nd)........57.2............55.1............54.7

Exterior Dimensions
Wheelbase...............113.7...........108.7..... ......113.4
Track (Rr)...............62.2............60.6........... .61.8
Track (Rr)...............61.7............60.6........... .62
Length...................191.5...........180.3.... .......191.6
Width....................72.7............71.5..... .......72.5
Height...................57.8............56.9..... .......58

Cadillac Tony
09-12-08, 09:56 AM
Haha....thanks for the post, Lusterblade. I listed the 5 series specs to show that it's practically the same size as the CTS. You listed the 3 series specs, so now people can see how much bigger a CTS is than a 3.

We make a great team to prove a point! :thumbsup:

Jpjr
09-12-08, 10:33 AM
Haha....thanks for the post, Lusterblade. I listed the 5 series specs to show that it's practically the same size as the CTS. You listed the 3 series specs, so now people can see how much bigger a CTS is than a 3.

We make a great team to prove a point! :thumbsup:

"Having owned both an M5 and a CTS-V I can tell you that they are not the same size. The M5 is MUCH roomier inside then the CTS-V."

On paper, they look right about the same as pointed out. Of course, with motors they call that dyno racing. ;)

Having driven both myself, I would say that the thickness of the seats is the big difference. Since that is corrected with the V2, it will if anything feel roomier than the M5.

urbanski
09-12-08, 10:40 AM
yeah LB rocks

dqw1
09-12-08, 12:35 PM
taking input.
reply here
Vote him off but bring back Blee & Toysnot

urbanski
09-12-08, 12:53 PM
blee was invited back and chose not to come

jasaero
09-12-08, 03:24 PM
Look up the specs on the 5 series and CTS- they're almost identical. In fact, here they are:

2008 Cadillac CTS / 2008 535i

Wheelbase (in.) 113.4 / 113.7
Length (in.) 191.6 / 191.1
Height (in.) 58.0 / 57.8
Width (in.) 72.5 / 72.7
Track (front) 61.8 / 61.3
Track (rear) 62.0 / 62.2

Head Room (front) (in.) 38.8 / 39.1
Head Room (rear) (in.) 37.2 / 38.1
Hiproom (front) (in.) 55.1 / not listed
Hiproom (rear) (in.) 54.1 / not listed
Leg Room (front) (in.) 42.4 / 41.5
Leg Room (rear) (in.) 35.9 / 36.0
Shoulder Room (front) (in.) 56.7 / 57.3
Shoulder Room (rear) (in.) 54.7 /57.2

People keep saying everywhere on the Internet that the 5 is bigger than a CTS, but it's just not true.

Also, if you investigate these numbers you start to realize these are identical sized cars and although the 5 has a slight advantage on several interior numbers, it's mostly due to asthetic design vs interior volume trade off made on the CTS. So, basically, if the design and particularly the overall shape of a 5 is somewhat boring and generic to you, but the CTS really impresses you, you are probably really not going to worry about the difference in interior volume as that difference is mostly due to a lot of the way the exterior is shaped on the CTS. Basically a CTS is less slab sided above the beltline and a roofline that's sloped down more aft of the B pillar to give it a slightly more coupe like profile than a 5. It's got a sportier overall shape basically, while not loosing a whole lot on the inside really.

Jpjr
09-12-08, 03:44 PM
Also, if you investigate these numbers you start to realize these are identical sized cars and although the 5 has a slight advantage on several interior numbers, it's mostly due to asthetic design vs interior volume trade off made on the CTS. So, basically, if the design and particularly the overall shape of a 5 is somewhat boring and generic to you, but the CTS really impresses you, you are probably really not going to worry about the difference in interior volume as that difference is mostly due to a lot of the way the exterior is shaped on the CTS. Basically a CTS is less slab sided above the beltline and a roofline that's sloped down more aft of the B pillar to give it a slightly more coupe like profile than a 5. It's got a sportier overall shape basically, while not loosing a whole lot on the inside really.

I agree with this... the M5 cabin feels bigger (from my experience) due to the layout. Consequently, the trunk in the V1 feels bigger (not sure if on paper). Case in point, my coworker has to take his driver out of his golf bag to fit his clubs in the trunk. The same clubs fit fine in my V1.

caddiedrummer
09-12-08, 04:53 PM
Tony, with all due respect (and you are a GREAT resource on the Bd) you will lose credilbilty if you start favorably comparing 5 series Bimmers to ANYTHING Caddy is currently selling.

I hope (pray) the new V I have on order will finally put Caddy back where it belongs, but after an STS, a standard XLR and an XLR--V, I can tell you none appraoched my M5 or even 528 in terms of fit/finish, quality. The V was a $100,000 car (which I paid $77K for when they were stuck on dealer lots) and it had more noise than a haunted house, not to mention enough plastic to make a Malibu.

My M5 handles and has the fit/ finish of a truly refined car. And, unlike the auto mags, I am not a Euro snob. I buy American 90% of the time with 3 Vettes and 4 Vipers among others.

Let's hope GM gets it right, but up to now while it has gotten closer the gap remains as wide as the gap was between my 05 Vette body panels.

Cadillac Tony
09-12-08, 05:07 PM
Believe me- I've sold Cadillacs for 10 years, and I'll be the first to admit that cars like the XLR and STS do not have the same fit & finish as their more expensive German counterparts. There is a price difference, but I'm tired of making the "yeah, but...." argument against the imports and using price as the excuse (The XLR in particular drives me crazy, because it's a great car as is, but just a few cost cutting measures short of being an awesome vehicle). I want to see Cadillac ditch the price angle and go right at their throats- spend the money to make the car awesome, and let people that can't afford them buy a C-Class with "pleather" interior and a manual seat.

That being said, I honestly believe that the CTS's fit, finish and materials are on par with the comparable German and Japanese cars. I understand that most people dismiss my posts as typical Salesman blathering, but the 2008 CTS is the most impressive car I've ever seen from Cadillac in my lifetime, regardless of price. The solid feel of the car, the dash, doors, radio, Nav....everything is better than the XLR, and at half the price.

I think the CTS-V is going to be the "big deal" for Cadillac that puts them back on the map- the regular CTS is already getting more positive reviews than the last 20 years of Cadillacs combined, and the early V reviews have been even better.

caddiedrummer
09-12-08, 05:55 PM
Believe me- I've sold Cadillacs for 10 years, and I'll be the first to admit that cars like the XLR and STS do not have the same fit & finish as their more expensive German counterparts. There is a price difference, but I'm tired of making the "yeah, but...." argument against the imports and using price as the excuse (The XLR in particular drives me crazy, because it's a great car as is, but just a few cost cutting measures short of being an awesome vehicle). I want to see Cadillac ditch the price angle and go right at their throats- spend the money to make the car awesome, and let people that can't afford them buy a C-Class with "pleather" interior and a manual seat.

That being said, I honestly believe that the CTS's fit, finish and materials are on par with the comparable German and Japanese cars. I understand that most people dismiss my posts as typical Salesman blathering, but the 2008 CTS is the most impressive car I've ever seen from Cadillac in my lifetime, regardless of price. The solid feel of the car, the dash, doors, radio, Nav....everything is better than the XLR, and at half the price.

I think the CTS-V is going to be the "big deal" for Cadillac that puts them back on the map- the regular CTS is already getting more positive reviews than the last 20 years of Cadillacs combined, and the early V reviews have been even better.

Great post and thoughts. I have read your posts which have been very helpful(if you were 100 miles away I would have ordered the V from you) My sense is that while you are enthusiastic about Caddys (as am I )you call a spade a spade. I hope you are right on your predictions. I will be the better for it.

SRT8/BMW
09-12-08, 05:56 PM

as someone who owns, has owned and has driven the german counterparts- I have always felth the same about fit and finish--but even more important- chassis and suspension. Now - having finally driven the new V- I totally agree with every word. Thats why I ordered my loaded, balck on Black today!

MacOSR
09-13-08, 04:32 PM

I hope for GM's sake that it is. I finally went to BMW after 5 GM vehicles purchased new and 1 Ford. I finally got tired of the lack of quality and the poor service from the manufacturer (not the dealers). Unfortunately for GM and Ford my experience with BMW has been amazing! I am anxious to hear how good the new CTS-V is in terms of build, quality, and how well GM stands behind their product!

urbanski
09-13-08, 04:50 PM
Thats why I ordered my loaded, balck on Black today!

congrats :) you're gonna need a new username!

Jpjr
09-14-08, 02:41 AM
I hope for GM's sake that it is. I finally went to BMW after 5 GM vehicles purchased new and 1 Ford. I finally got tired of the lack of quality and the poor service from the manufacturer (not the dealers). Unfortunately for GM and Ford my experience with BMW has been amazing! I am anxious to hear how good the new CTS-V is in terms of build, quality, and how well GM stands behind their product!

the total ownership experience is just as important as the mechanicals of the vehicle itself. it creates an overall perception of quality that commands higher price premiums. caddy taking big step in right direction with v2.

trukk
10-17-08, 05:49 PM
taking input.
reply here

I vote punt.

-Chris