: 1987 Brougham help...

NinetySixDeville
09-10-08, 03:47 AM
Ok, even though I dont too much care for this car since my Deville is almost ready, but my 87 Brougham has a 350 in it and after running awhile either the belts or the engine makes this horrible whining/squeaking noise. The guy I bought it from (:D $700) told me that because the belts may need replacing it will make that squeaking noise when I hit the gas pedal. I had service done to it but I ignored the belt problem the guy was explaining since at the moment it didnt make any noise. But after running it a while and adding rims and audio the squeaking sound has gotten really loud. How do I stop that noise? I have a small theory that my 4000 watt amplifier is putting a lot of strain on my alternator and causing it to squeak. Anyone have any advice? Also does anyone have a picture of a stock Brougham with the Cadillac engine?

EDIT: Can't be the amp if the motor squeaked before my audio install.

My_favorite_Brougham
09-10-08, 03:43 PM
Also does anyone have a picture of a stock Brougham with the Cadillac engine?

Eh, you probably just need new belts. I changed my belts once and found out the wrong ones were on it before. So you never know.

And here's a stock Brougham with the engine yours had. Olds 307 (1986-1990).
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x141/Shutterbug668/00065.jpg

The last year these cars had genuine Cadillac engines was in 1984 with the 4.1L HT4100. And the big blocks were before that. Your Cadillac had the Oldsmobile 307 engine from stock. But you say it has a 350? That wasn't an option so maybe the motor switch has something to do with the belt squeaking.

Best,
Greg

Aron9000
09-13-08, 03:36 AM
I had a chirping/squeal in my LS1 powered Camaro. The way I fixed it was to pull off the three idler pulleys. I then pulled off the seals, and the bearings had no grease in them. I repacked them with grease(generic bearing grease), and reinstalled them, cured the problem, cost $4 for the grease.

cadillac_al
09-13-08, 10:15 AM
It's hard to get a good alternator nowadays. I've lost count of how many I've had to return because they squeal after a few months. I'm going to look into buying new ones because these rebuilts are a pain in the butt. I'm assuming the belts are in good condition here.

VortecCaddy
09-13-08, 01:18 PM
If you replace the belts and/or alternator, be sure to check belt deflection. You may need to replace your belt tensioner. It could be putting added stress on your belts.