: Mobil or Castrol?????

cadillac04
06-14-04, 07:39 PM
My dealer doesnot use Mobil 1 oil at their service center. I was told that they will use Castrol Syntec for my oil changes. They said that there is no difference. The dealer is giving the first oil change for free. I am not able to change the oil myself or I would.
Should I insist on Mobil oil ???????? Any opinions??????

KJTROT
06-14-04, 08:15 PM
Tell your dealer to get with the program and purchase a few cases of Mobil 1. They should not hesitate since this is the chosen lubricant by GMPD. I am sure that they were not to hesitant to take your check for the "V".:want:

ctsvett
06-14-04, 08:47 PM
I would take it to another place that has Mobil 1 (EZlube, etc). If everyone who went to your dealer took their cars elsewhere for this reason, I am sure that your dealer would have mobil 1 availabe by now.

My opinion, even if its free, mobil 1 is the only way to go.

Reed

06-14-04, 09:36 PM
Seems to me that your Caddy dealer may be in violation of their franchise agreement if they do not supply the lubricant that is recommended by GM. The recommedation is right in the owners manual and/or oil cap (Msheri01 or miscreant may have a comment on that).

Syntec and Mobil 1 may be similar but they are not identical (Mobil's patents would prevent that!). Though I am still reeling from the price tag, I am sticking with what GM recommends, especially with the massive heat generator called the LS6......

my $0.02.

Doug

lasstss
06-14-04, 10:42 PM
Mobil is a good oil but not the best. Most synthetics are close in spec. The key is to keep the proper weight and change it regularly. I used Castrol in a turbocharged Lt-1 for years. Didnt burn a drop of oil. Mobil 1 is oil propaganda. Just like Michelin is the best tire! Gm probably has a nice deal with Mobil. JMO

http://www.performanceoilnews.com/docs/SyntheticOilComparison.pdf

http://www.performanceoilnews.com/news3.shtml

JEM
06-14-04, 11:06 PM
Mobil 1 is the best widely-available oil sold retail in the US.

Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline may be better, but are not as widely available, and Amsoil's sales structure puts some folks off.

Most Castrol is a pseudo-synthetic, a good oil but derived from petroleum base stocks. Likewise the rest of the big-name synthetics.

More info: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=168505

I use Castrol TWS 10W-60 in the M5, Amsoil or Mobil 1 in most of the other newer hardware, and Shell Rotella T Synthetic 15W-40 in engines with lots of sliding-friction elements e.g. flat tappets, non-roller rockers, etc. where the extra EP additive is likely to be helpful.

Dreamin
06-14-04, 11:31 PM
For the warentee period i'd stick to Mobil 1.

At the very least, whatever oil you use, make sure it meet GM's spec: GM4718M.

Redline for example, does not.

Cal
06-15-04, 12:11 AM
Yeah I'd agree...do what the dealer says as long as you are bringing the car to them if something breaks. Don't give them any excuse to f around.

miscreant
06-15-04, 02:34 AM
My dealer doesnot use Mobil 1 oil at their service center. I was told that they will use Castrol Syntec for my oil changes. They said that there is no difference. The dealer is giving the first oil change for free. I am not able to change the oil myself or I would.
Should I insist on Mobil oil ???????? Any opinions??????
If they want to warranty your cadillac they HAVE to have Mobil 1 :). Cadillac dealers are supposed to service using Mobil 1, just like Chevy dealers are forced to service Vette's with Mobil 1...

If they refuse, go buy some Mobil 1 5w30 and take it to them - will probably be cheaper anyway. I watch for it to go on sale at Walmart and buy a couple cases, then take it with me to MY OWN dealership...Ends up costing me around $15 + the Mobil 1 (like about $37) compared to the $60+ retail...

urbanski
06-15-04, 08:19 AM
I plan to change my own oil, using some Amsoil 0W-30.

ttown
06-15-04, 09:39 AM
GIVE ME MOBILE 1 OR GIVE ME DEATH!

Most oil changing places do not carry mobile 1, so I get it and a mobile 1 filter from a parts store and bring it to them to change the oil.

Also, since mobile 1 is on the filler cap, I would fear using another brand may affect your warranty.

I have had lots of experience with mobile 1 and high performance engines and it hasn't let me down yet.

jdodman
06-16-04, 09:19 AM
For the record, and for the person who is hesitant to change his own oil. I just changed mine for the first time on the V (2,000 miles) and GM has done a great job (for once) in the layout of the drive train. The oil filter and drain plug are extremely easy to get at and the whole job took 20 minutes in my driveway. All you need is Rhino Ramps ($19.00), the filter, and the oil. It was easy !!

I second the Mobil One. I stopped using it on my Grand National, as the oil has a way of finding it's way out of those engines, (rear main seal leaks are common), but while under warranty, follow the rules.

RBraczyk
06-16-04, 10:07 AM
My K5 blazer takes high mileage stuff, and im afraid that Mobil 1 will open up pockets in the engine which would screw it up. With 278K on the clock, what do you think?

lasstss
06-16-04, 10:20 AM
By experiance, never use synthetic on a high miler. It will bleed to death. Synthetic is great at finding a way out of the motor. I wouldnt use 0W or 5w either. 10 w minimum. The only people that need 0W or 5W live in Alaska and Wisconsin. It takes a lot of power to crank a motor with 10w at 10 below.

JEM
06-16-04, 06:13 PM
By experiance, never use synthetic on a high miler. It will bleed to death. Synthetic is great at finding a way out of the motor. I wouldnt use 0W or 5w either. 10 w minimum. The only people that need 0W or 5W live in Alaska and Wisconsin. It takes a lot of power to crank a motor with 10w at 10 below.

I haven't had any trouble converting over 80K+mile engines to synthetic, Mobil1 for one has additives to ensure that the seals continue to swell as they do with dino juice, but YMMV.

Synthetic will definitely loosen the sludge that dino oils leave behind, so doing 3000mi oil changes for a little while afterward is probably a good idea.

Here in California I have no use for 0W- or 5W-anything.

Rob Ketcham
06-16-04, 06:38 PM
Unless you plan on keeping your V for many years it probably doesn't matter. Any of the synthetics, even Mobil 1 are good enough. I prefer Redline which I use in all my vehicles, from the off road ones to the ones that go on the track. It is among the very best in my opinion and I buy it from a jobber in MD for a good price and he ships it to me.

What has more effect on wear is running an engine hard when it is cold, or not changing out the filter often enough, or running it and not getting the motor hot. The oil thing is important, of course, but overblown.