: 2008 STS voice recognition doesn't

TexasPhotographer
09-08-08, 02:41 PM
After studying the manual (which is a trip in itsself) I finally learned the proper commands to use with the voice recognition system. I cannot get the darn thing to respond. All it says is pardon twice and finally Command not recognized.

Been to the two dealerships several times even had a new navigation radio installed. GM says they are moving the microphone closer to the drivers side to make this respond better. GM also says I am the only person having this problem.

Are they that responsive a company to move the microphone for only one person having this problem?

MARKVIII
09-08-08, 03:10 PM
Dont waste your time. It does not work 80% of the time. Plus its mostly useless even if it does work.
High Tech. it ain't!

dhemrick
09-08-08, 06:02 PM
The success of the voice recognition really depends on the individual.

Case in point: We have two 2006 STS models (my STS-V and my partner's STS4) both with the latest software updates, so the VR in each car should be identical. Both cars are very responsive to my voice, but they always seem to have trouble with him. Our voices sound a lot alike, and even our friends and my mother have trouble telling us apart on the phone. I have a very slight Southern accent and he is from the Midwest, so supposedly his voice should be more "neutral", but for all intents and purposes, our voices should sound virtually the same to the VR.

Yet, we cannot figure out exactly why the cars seem to respond to me more than they do him, though, which I found curious. Being the engineer that I am, I decided to keep mental notes about the differences between the way we were speaking to the VR to see if I could spot a pattern of differences when it failed for him on a command that always works for me.

My casual observations of the minor differences between us are:
1) My voice when speaking to the VR is very slightly more resonant and "carries". I did customer service for several years and during that time, I developed my more clear and authoratative "telephone voice" which I notice that I tend to use when speaking to the VR, whereas he will just speak to it normally.
2) I tend to sit a couple of inches closer to the steering wheel than he does because I am 2 inches shorter (I'm 6' even, he's 6'2").
3) He tends to "rush" when speaking to the car. For example, he will push the button, but start speaking before the beep or very very close to the beep.
4) He tends to "pause" when speaking to the car. He will pause too long between words so the VR gives up. Instead of saying, for example, "phone dial name" in one fluid phrase, he will say "phone.... dial name". The VR times out after "phone..." and says "pardon?" before he gets to the "dial name" part so the command fails.

Based on these informal observations from analyzing our VR issues, my suggestions to him have been to
1) Make sure you wait for the beep before speaking
2) Speak clearly and in an authoratative voice
3) Speak fluidly without undue pauses between words in the commands.

Perhaps these will work for others who are having similar issues?

c5 rv
09-08-08, 07:48 PM
I was going to say it's a Texas thing. But, I gave up on the OnStar cellphone service because it couldn't understand my midwest accent.

TulsaVic
09-08-08, 07:59 PM
I find this sort of amazing. I haven't used the OnStar cellphone in my '08 DTS but a couple of times. No problems either time. What makes it amazing is that I have spasmodic dysphonia (listen to Robert Kennedy Jr. and you'll get the idea) which makes even face to face comprehension difficult at times. Maybe there's an installation difference with the STS??

bigdog9586
09-08-08, 09:39 PM
If you haven't figured out by now it is a piece of crap. You almost need to be in a soundproof room and have the right voice to make it work. Ford adverties theirs on tV all the time. I wonder if it is any better. I doubt it since it is Microsoft Windows powered.
================

After studying the manual (which is a trip in itsself) I finally learned the proper commands to use with the voice recognition system. I cannot get the darn thing to respond. All it says is pardon twice and finally Command not recognized.

Been to the two dealerships several times even had a new navigation radio installed. GM says they are moving the microphone closer to the drivers side to make this respond better. GM also says I am the only person having this problem.

Are they that responsive a company to move the microphone for only one person having this problem?

TexasPhotographer
09-08-08, 10:30 PM
I was going to say it's a Texas thing. But, I gave up on the OnStar cellphone service because it couldn't understand my midwest accent.

Although I live in Texas, I was born in Philadelphia and grew up in New Jersey.

Inspite of living here in Texas for the past 34 years plus many years in the US Army, I still have a very distinct Jersey accent.

My voice is so distinct I do not make collect obscene phone calls.:canttalk:

Cadillac or specifically GM tells me they are moving the microphone closer to the drivers side on the STS beginning in December because of the ruckus I have caused.

BEVA53
09-09-08, 10:54 PM
The darn thing doesn't listen to me but it understands my son for some reason. I had my brother-in-law in the car and I was showing off a bit... I said "Windows - Windows Down" and the system says, Language changed to "Italian"... Then the display goes to Italian and the thing starts talking Italian... My brother-in-law laughed his rear off... He said, thanks, I'll keep my Benz...

MARKVIII
09-10-08, 08:00 AM
The moral of the above story is NEVER show off a Cadillac to a person that owns a BENZ!

c5 rv
09-10-08, 02:05 PM
...Inspite of living here in Texas for the past 34 years plus many years in the US Army, I still have a very distinct Jersey accent.

My voice is so distinct I do not make collect obscene phone calls.:canttalk:

Well, dere's da problem.

atraumanurse
09-13-08, 09:07 AM
I grew up in the midwest so I have almost no inflections in my voice. I can use navigation enter destination home, windows up or down, cd command other than that very few other commands work. I use dragon naturally speaking software for letters and have almost 100% recognition. If they want this to work the system has to be trained to your voice. A one time training of saying the command three times would cure this problem. Come on cadillac make this thing work:eek:

TexasPhotographer
09-13-08, 03:57 PM
Thank you Atrumanurse. I have been putting pressure on Cadillac and especially GM regarding this problem. I am sure there are others that are not getting proper response from the navigation system. Please share your experiences here.

Thanks,

Texasphotographer

Superjim
09-13-08, 09:26 PM
I have a Texas accent... my Voice Recognition don't work at all.
All it does is say "PARDON?" a couple of times then shuts off.

It is very frustrating.

Texas Jim

C&C
09-14-08, 07:25 AM
I have an '06, went through the commands and only got one to work; "CD". I'm not too much into talking to/at my car so it's no big deal to me, but it would be nice for it to work since it is supposed to.

djallsup
09-15-08, 12:14 AM
Not that it's any help, but you ARE NOT the only customer having this problem. Nor does the Bluetooth telephone system. Mine didn't work the day I drove it off the lot. I returned the next day, and the salesman had the same problem. This began in March. Since then, I've been back to the dealer a half-dozen times with no luck--they say they can't repair it. The only luck I've had so far is an offer for a $1,000 rebate from the district manger, which I declined. My demands: (1) Another car, or (2) FULL reimbursement for the options that don't work, or (3) Let me out of my lease. I don't think I'm being unreasonable--I just want what I paid good money for. I've been driving Infinitis for a long time and why I decided to go with Cadillac, I'll never know. I'll never do it again.

MARKVIII
09-15-08, 07:54 AM
Bottom line they should have either went with a different voice command unit or not even offered it at all. THIS is why people shy away from American cars. Nobody likes to pay for things that don't work.

TexasPhotographer
09-15-08, 02:28 PM
I appreciate your comments. General Motors has been telling me all along that it is only me that is having this problem. I have had the car to the dealership (actually two dealerships) many times. They are moving the microphone from its current position closer to the driver to see if this will help the situation. What a wonderful, straight-up company. They are making the microphone change just for me as they claim it is only me that cannot get proper response with the VR system.

TexasPhotographer
09-15-08, 02:39 PM
I appreciate your comments. General Motors has been telling me all along that it is only me that is having this problem. I have had the car to the dealership (actually two dealerships) many times. They are moving the microphone from its current position closer to the driver to see if this will help the situation. What a wonderful, straight-up company. They are making the microphone change just for me as they claim it is only me that cannot get proper response with the VR system.

rjm
09-18-08, 09:16 PM
I noticed this thread a few days ago, and the VR was one of the reasons Cadillac repurchased my '05 STS. I have a large family and having been a few years since I visited the VR problem, I've taken an informal survey the last few days. The only ones whose VR works on a consistent basis is the Acura owners. Lexus, BMW, and Nissan owners declared it "USELESS". The Cadillac owners said it was a 50/50 proposition.

All agreed this is an idea that wasn't ready to come out of the oven (like the Lexus self-park feature).

miked
09-21-08, 12:52 AM
We will probably be getting an STS soon, but I'll share my thoughts on our SRX's voice recognition versus our Acura TSX's VR. Former is crap -- neverunderstands me properly. Latter is amazing. You tell it city name, it knows (how about "Tempe," which can be pronounced a couple of different ways). You tell it street name, it knows. You can rapid fire say four-eight-oh-five-five-five-seven-zero-three-oh, and it understands this as 480-555-7030. It's actually an Alpine unit . . . I think everyone should just use theirs.

That said, relatively unhappy with the TSX otherwise, hence the potential STS purchase.

TexasPhotographer
10-19-08, 01:15 PM
Anyone else have problems with this? Cadillac, or specifically General Motors says its just me and you're responses have shown me this is not the case.

Most, if not all of the time they seem to be in denial.

dkozloski
10-19-08, 03:29 PM
Everybody seems to think that their particular regional accent is the correct way to talk and everybody else talks funny.

Lifer
10-19-08, 03:34 PM
Everybody seems to think that their particular regional accent is the correct way to talk and everybody else talks funny.

Yea, I heard Sarah Palin who speaks like a Wisconsian. However, I do like to hear her.

TexasPhotographer
10-19-08, 03:46 PM
Wouldn't you think a voice recognition system should work with any one who speaks clearly. We have artillery forward observers who come from every state in the United States. The ones who fire the guns do not have trouble understanding them.

dkozloski
10-19-08, 04:15 PM
The guy who designed the human voice recognition system has a whole lot more experience at the job.

ahuyghe
10-20-08, 07:26 PM
My VR system has been a real dud also. I've been to the dealership twice and no fix. I find that if the car is at a standstill, (no road noise), i have a much better success rate with it. BUt if i'm cruising down the highway at 50 mph or more, it's almost impossible for it to recognise anything causing me to mostly raise my voice quite loud to get a response. What frustrates me most is when i do get it to recognise a few commands and then it asks to "confirm, yes or no" if i say yes clearly, it will respond with "command cancelled"! :mad: That frustrates the hell out of me.

I wish the darn thing would at least argue back!

I've called GM customer service a couple times for other issues but i find speaking with them is like... :horse:

Al

2007 STS4

TexasPhotographer
11-24-08, 10:47 PM
The guy who designed the human voice recognition system has a whole lot more experience at the job.

And, from all of the posts here except yours, I would say he did a lousy job.

If I turned out a product as badly as the voice recognition in my business, I would go out of business.

Oh, That's right, we're talking about General Motors.

EChas3
12-29-08, 10:55 PM
Truely, my new cell phone is inferior to my previous one because I now have no way to record my nametags. Any system that does allow for the users speach patterns is doomed. Can they get better, sure. But to be intuitive the processing power and software may well be exhorbitant.