: BBOB - did the press test/overheating/????

bobvondutch
06-14-04, 06:13 PM
Picked up a K-N adapter over the weekend, started the pressure test last night on 1-3-5-7 after taking the coil pack off. Did 1, OK. Did 3, and some sort of pop-off valve (?) on the intake behind the power steering pump scared the bejesus out of me, sort of like the snake that went over my foot last week:shocked2: .
Anyhow, kept going but got bleed thru from 7 to 3, 3 to 6, had all the plugs out, figured that it was just bleeding through the plenum. Put the plugs back in, did one cylinder at a time, and the coolant never bubbled. However, I did have air coming out exhaust or that stupid pop-off, but I need your opinion: did I still have enough air in the cylinder to show if the head gaskets were bad?? Had regulator set at 120 psi. Should I run the test a different way: maybe one cylinder at a time, with all the plugs out, turning the engine over by hand on the crank pulley till the valves are closed??

If you think I've done it right and the head gaskets are OK, this is what I'm thinking. I'll put new plugs in (80K miles, have them out anyhow, any recommendations?? What gap for a 97, old ones are around .060??). I'll fire it up, pull it out of the garage so it's pointed nose downhill, and drain all coolant. Replace the thermostat again, and I'm figuring that since I have it drained, I might as well replace the water pump too, and the w/p drive belt. I'll fill with 50/50 Dex, two tubes of Bars Leak gold powder, and see what happens - sound like a plan to you?? Anyone else have any input?? Oh, what is that pop-off valve anyhow?? Thanks for all your help, let me know if you think of anything else to check.:worship:

eldorado1
06-14-04, 07:56 PM
Should I run the test a different way: maybe one cylinder at a time, with all the plugs out, turning the engine over by hand on the crank pulley till the valves are closed??

Uhh... The valves should have been closed, and if they weren't , you want to rotate the engine until they are closed (TDC on compression). If the rings are bad, you will hear a hiss at the oil filler. If the intake valve is bad, the hiss will be at the intake manifold, if the exhaust valve is bad, the hiss will be at the tailpipe. If the headgasket is blown, the radiator will be pressurized/bubbling. I.e. you can test for lots of different things at the same time :) Good luck,