: Trying to get 78 cdv to start :(

BigPoppaD
09-07-08, 02:39 PM
It's been sitting for 6 years, new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, ignition coil, fuel pump, emptied the gas tank and put fresh gas in. It comes real real close to turning over with some starter fluid, but otherwise it just cranks and cranks, backfires through the carb a bit. What's next? Carb work? Timing?

thanks

jayoldschool
09-07-08, 02:43 PM
Put in a fresh battery. Then, pour about a 1/4 cup of gas right down the carb. It works much better than starting fluid. Works every time. It will start very quickly on the gas you pour in, and that will get the pump working fast to pull fresh gas into the carb.

carnut
09-07-08, 04:40 PM
If it were mine, I would remove all the plugs and pour a tablespoon full of ATF into each cylinder. Could have stuck rings or sticking valves that would cause low compression. You should have done a compression test prior to plug replacement. Once the ATF is in it and the plugs reinstalled, crank it over with the coil disconnected for a few seconds. Then reconnect the coil. Hopefully it should start and produce alot of white smoke for a few min. Be careful on your descriptions. Cranking over and turning over are one in the same. Starting is just that, ,, starting!

BigPoppaD
09-07-08, 05:06 PM
If it were mine, I would remove all the plugs and pour a tablespoon full of ATF into each cylinder. Could have stuck rings or sticking valves that would cause low compression. You should have done a compression test prior to plug replacement. Once the ATF is in it and the plugs reinstalled, crank it over with the coil disconnected for a few seconds. Then reconnect the coil. Hopefully it should start and produce alot of white smoke for a few min. Be careful on your descriptions. Cranking over and turning over are one in the same. Starting is just that, ,, starting!

I'll give that a shot. We did try the gas trick and it has a new battery.

I'm just an amateur flailing away at my first engine work outside of typical maintenance issues. When I said "crank" I meant that ever so hopeful noise it makes when you turn the key. "Turn" to me is that blessed moment when the engine roars to a "start". But whatever, learning as I go.

thanks

somename
09-09-08, 07:45 PM
Have you looked at the ignition control? Check to make sure you're getting spark.