: I'm getting old--need your help!

Elvis
06-14-04, 03:32 PM
Our commemoration of CaddyBlack99's birthday started me thinking about something very important.

A big day is looming in my future. The half-way point. Middle-age crazy. The big 4-0.

I've decided that the best thing about it will be all the things that I DO NOT have to do anymore, because of my advancing age and declining health.

The truth is, I'm probably in better shape now than at any time since I was 22 or 23. For about 15 years, cigarettes, bad food, extensive traveling, and working 12-14 hours a day really their toll on me, but I recovered nicely.

Saturday and Sunday I spent about six hours on and off of a 16' extension ladder trying to relocate a satellite dish. You have a lot of time to contemplate the laws of self-preservation when you're stuck on a hot roof looking down at a 20 foot drop.

#1 on my list: I will NOT climb up on the roof ever again.

#2: I will NOT change my own oil just to save $20.

Any suggestions you guys can offer that I can or should add to my list will be appreciated!

REBEL08021
06-14-04, 04:10 PM
Elvis,

Don't know what else to add to the list (I have not reached you upcoming pinnacle....yet lol) but I am willing to make a Gentlemans bet you do both of the things you say you never will do again!! I have found in life I rarely use the word never. I use words of art like "try not to" and "hope not to". Reason being never is so final and we often say oh well one more time!! Personally I am 38 and will change my oil as long as I can after all $20.00 is better spent in my pocket than a large corporation or a grease monkley (no offense to anyone) that short sticks me and fills me 1/2 quart short to save money for mother ship. Also there is nothing like the feeling of knowing you have a fresh oil change on a car at 3k intervals. Unfortunately I tensd to be a little heavier on the gas pedal for whatever reason for a few days after the change. I have to keep up on my two actively driven cars by myself and now my recently licensed daughters :crying: car. I kind of hope she gets a boyfriend (never thought I would say those words):bonkers: who is mechanically inclined so I can have him do her stuff and what the hell my stuff as well!! SURE!!! see me over here holding my breath.....I look good in blue :rolleyes: . If I miss BDAY wishes for you when the days comes on by accept my congratulation to this most memorable time in advance!! Just remember you are only as old as you feel....right?

Elvis
06-14-04, 05:55 PM
I feel fine. (I just don't want the wife to know that!) ;)

Maybe you're right about changing oil. I'll bet it's a lot easier on an Escalade or a DeVille than it is on a Prelude. It's very hard to get to the filter and I have to be very careful not do drip oil on the catalytic converter. It will stink for a few days if I do.

The 'boyz' at Mr. Slick Lube spill it every time, but my back doesn't hurt when I let them do it!

airbalancer
06-14-04, 06:50 PM
first,do not put anymore xmas light.a friend fell off his ladder in novmber , broke ribs, leg. has not been to work yet and he owns a mechanical engineering firm
Have not change oil in over twenty years.
Buy more power tools
Go on more trips
Get a bigger tv, the eyes start to go soon
Time to start chilling out more

Msilva954
06-14-04, 09:46 PM
Learn how to play "Shuffle Board".

CADDYBLACK99
06-14-04, 10:18 PM
Now that I've reached a wise old age, I've been trying to thinks of somthing wise and say............................I'm speechless!

I like the bigger TV thing and the buy more tools thing (thanks Airbalancer)
Trips are fun too!

Take a look around you....... and be thankful......... for all you have.
Paul

elwesso
06-14-04, 10:28 PM
You will be able to use the "senior" tees at the golf course..

So i guess you wont ever have to go from the back tees anymore! :D

I say give up mowing the lawn....

Stoneage_Caddy
06-14-04, 10:52 PM
you shouldnt quit doing stuff because a number changed ...LIVE DAMIT !

but then again im young and not so well thought out in the area of life , im still right now coming to the understanding that everyone wont live forever , and thats hard . It started occuring to me with my grandfather ,he turned 80 recently and told me that "im not going to be around much longer"..i realized he had a point mathmaticly .also realized ive only got a certain ammount of time here , i need to stop screwing around and live ....im going to the gym now and im starting to overcome my fears ...unforetuately im still not at grips with death(even tho i am somewhat religous) , but i would like to kick maximum ammounts of ass in the meantime

El Dobro
06-14-04, 10:56 PM
40 old?!? Heck Bush 41 sky-dived twice yesterday and he's 80! It's just a number.

Ralph
06-15-04, 01:05 AM
Shut up Elvis! I'm right behind you. ;)

Spock
06-15-04, 01:30 AM
I picked up a hat for my dad that I thought was appropriate for him turning 40 a while back.

So
Happy that
I've
Turned 40!

:D

airbalancer
06-15-04, 06:45 AM
Never stop cutting the lawn ,that job is good to keep the wife off your back for a weekend!
Age is a # thing but why do not use it if you can.
Just think , you can be a dirty old man soon and nobody cares :p

tru504187211
06-15-04, 09:57 AM
Eww...dirty old man?! Just don't go into grocery stores and start oogling at women and talking to employees about them -- it's soooo creepy!!

Mitch3
06-15-04, 10:15 AM
I'd tell you what I did when I was 40 but I can't remember !!!!

Elvis
06-15-04, 04:47 PM
adding to the list...

Buy big TV

More power tools

re: Bush 41's insanity

It's perfectly okay to exert yourself physically if the pursuit is recreational in nature or something you genuinely ENJOY. I'm talking about chores--things you never wanted to do when you were younger, but HAD to do.

daacon
06-15-04, 04:58 PM
Ahhhhh 40 been there done that ....

Remeber when 20 was old ? Then 30 ? Funny when I hit 40 did not feel as bad as when I was 30. Like you at my current age , in better shape than I was 10 years ago...

Family is important
I never change oil
I leave my Christmas lights up year round
I love to travel now (not much camping as I like but Hotels have advantages)
I still play SlowPitch in an open division (as long as I am not the worst player I am good)
I try to golf more - but that never seems to happen
I still owe everyone money learned to live with that
Biggest thing I did at 40 was go independant (self employed) - my 'job" is a series of 6 month contracts but I have no regrets.
I can still go out a few pops - but if I few too many it takes a full day(s) recovery.

I also figured 40 was not "mid life" - counting on 50 being mid life (albiet I think that is my mortality fear).

Look around like it is said the secret is not to want for what you don't have , but to be happy with what you do .....oh yeah I did buy a big screen hdtv TV :D

Enjoy ......dy

elwesso
06-15-04, 10:39 PM
Shut up Elvis! I'm right behind you. ;)
You must be in denial by all the things you look at on the internet! :D :canttalk: :kick:

Ralph
06-16-04, 12:59 AM
You must be in denial by all the things you look at on the internet! :D :canttalk: :kick:

:rant2: