: Roof damage question

illinois cadillac
09-04-08, 12:06 PM
My wife was driving out 2006 STS and had a tire blow out. She then jumped a curb and hit a landscaping rock (rather large). Besides needing a new rim and some scratches/dents down near the fender, I noticed several dents on the roof. They were at the corners of the sunroof. It looked like it buckled. She was not going fast and there are no other body issues up along the hood, fender, pillar, etc. Could the impact of hitting the curb and rock buckle the roof?

Thanks.

05awdupstater
09-04-08, 03:37 PM
Possible, yes. Probable, no. I have a 2007 STS4 and have noticed if the light is just right, usually behind the car and to one side, I can see very small ripples on the corners of the sheet metal around the sunroof. You could label them buckle marks as well. Hope that is all you are seeing. You do not want a carfax report showing major roof damage from a seeming small accident you described. Just MHO.

bigdog9586
09-04-08, 04:02 PM
Did she have her seat belt on? I just wonder if jumping the curb bounced her up from her seat hitting the roof? Just a thought.

dkozloski
09-04-08, 04:34 PM
Get it on an alignment rack and see if the body measures up to specs. If the roof is buckled the suspension will be far worse.

illinois cadillac
09-05-08, 01:34 PM
Yes she did have her seatbelt on. The buckle/dents are not small. I will get the alignment checked out when I get it to the shop. Thanks for the replies.

Northern SRX
09-07-08, 09:20 AM
I assume that the buckling is on the same side as the impact. If so, it's likely this is just where the impact energy did damage that was visible. I couldn't agree more with dkozloski to get body checked by a shop that has the proper laser frame system. A quick check to see if the exterior panel gaps are the same from one side to the other will let you know if the impact energy travelled further aft or from one side to the other. Check the gaps at doors and the hood and trunk.

Good luck - here's hoping that the damage proves to be cosmetic only.

illinois cadillac
09-09-08, 03:11 PM
Thanks Northern SRX. The vehicle is in the shop now and they are checking it out. The gaps all seem to be uniform so I'm hoping that not too much damage was done.

Alpinelx
09-11-11, 09:14 PM
I just bought a 06 CTS-V and noticed that the roof is buckled at each of the four (4) corners of the moon roof. You can only see it when the car is clean and at the right angle, but was wondering if others have experienced the same thing. According to a car fax, the vehicle has been in an accident, but the suspension seems great and the car drives strait as an arrow. Illinois Cadillac seemed to have the same issue. Did it get resolved?