: August 2008 STS sales

MARKVIII
09-04-08, 09:46 AM
975 were sold in august. Roughly 20% fleet/rental sales
also discounts on the STS are close to 10k off sticker price.

cannot even give them away..pretty sad.

c5 rv
09-04-08, 01:06 PM
How the heck am I going to buy a 2008 CPO STS in 2010 if they don't deliver many this year?

Benjamin Simon
09-04-08, 07:06 PM
It is a combination of neglect, and no advertising. Your post suggest you are surprised.
The 2009 is not much better.
Don't get me wrong, I love the STS. However, it is so close to the CTS target market now, the STS for many is not the best choice given the hefty price tag. Again, relative to the extremely well done CTS.

ryannel2003
09-04-08, 10:26 PM
My dealer has only gotten 2 '08 STS within the past year, and one sat for 5 months before it sold off to another dealership; the other was a special order car. Our inventory mainly consists of CPO; have 3 '08 N* V8's to choose from right now (Silver, Bronze, and White Diamond) with stickers of $40k. I would never buy a new STS (or any Cadillac for that matter) because they loose so much value. Plus, the CTS is the star of the Cadillac lineup right now and is getting all the attention. However, after driving one I was not impressed. The current STS is an amazing driving car; it will be my next car once I'm done with my Seville STS.

c5 rv
09-05-08, 09:17 AM
...the CTS is the star of the Cadillac lineup right now and is getting all the attention. However, after driving one I was not impressed. The current STS is an amazing driving car; it will be my next car once I'm done with my Seville STS.

As a former CTS owner (04), I wasn't all that impressed with the loaner 09 CTS that I had. (Granted, it was a base unit with vinyl seats and silver plastic console.) In 2010, I'd like to get an 08 CPO AWD V6 STS, assuming I can deal with the smallish trunk. If not that it will be a DTS or MKS.

MARKVIII
09-05-08, 09:58 AM
MKS has been getting horrible reviews. interior and tech. is good. the engine and the mechanics of the car have been slammed by every major review that i read. i would reconsider that choice.

c5 rv
09-05-08, 12:54 PM
MKS has been getting horrible reviews. interior and tech. is good. the engine and the mechanics of the car have been slammed by every major review that i read. i would reconsider that choice.

Any links? My MKZ has been mechanically flawless (though too small). My neighbor has an 08 Taurus (same platform as MKS) and has 40K miles with only oil changes.

Cliff8928
09-05-08, 02:04 PM
As a former CTS owner (04), I wasn't all that impressed with the loaner 09 CTS that I had. (Granted, it was a base unit with vinyl seats and silver plastic console.) In 2010, I'd like to get an 08 CPO AWD V6 STS, assuming I can deal with the smallish trunk. If not that it will be a DTS or MKS.

You really think the trunk is that small? I guess I'm just not used to it from the GTO and a Q45, both with their gas tanks behind the rear seat.

MARKVIII
09-05-08, 02:31 PM
autoblog, Edmunds and i think motor trend..check them out for mks reviews

cmicasa
09-06-08, 12:00 AM
It is a combination of neglect, and no advertising. Your post suggest you are surprised.
The 2009 is not much better.
Don't get me wrong, I love the STS. However, it is so close to the CTS target market now, the STS for many is not the best choice given the hefty price tag. Again, relative to the extremely well done CTS.

I find it funny that many people said when the CTS came out that the STS sales would fall flat and then die... that in June the STS was up 12% over last year and is currently 2% better for the year. It seems as tho the STS is actually BENEFITING from the CTS in two ways...

#1 The STS is getting the left over traffic from the people who actually come in to see the CTS and then opt for its more expensive sister due to extra size and prestige... I mean seriously.. the car looks MONEY, and the new revised Grille and Side Treatments do much to demonstrate that effect

#2 The CTS's styling is very clear in the 2008 STS. The front is essentially a CTS with a "Squared jaw"... the interior also benefits from the CTS as well... perhaps not to the electrifying effect that the CTS proposes but the design is remenisant and derivative enough that it still reminds U of the smaller car... yet does not offend the more affluent buyer who would pop an extra $10-30K on the larger STS.

NOW... I'm looking at August sales and yeah... 975 is pretty weak but have U seen the lots??? At least in my area... STSs are almost absent.. I gotta wonder if there isn't something else going on

Cliff8928
09-06-08, 01:41 AM
I think I saw 2 STSs at the local Cadillac dealer amongst a fleet of CTS, SRX and Escalades.

MARKVIII
09-06-08, 03:43 AM
The two dealers i go to to have my care repaired had about 4-5 each. they were all v6's. fact is they are not ordering many and that is why there are not many on the lots. however, i think the up tick in sales this year is due to heavier sales to rent a car companies and fleets.

Jesda
09-06-08, 04:53 AM
The MKZ is at least a legitimately enjoyable car for its class. MKS, not so much.

Benjamin Simon
09-06-08, 12:28 PM
I find it funny that many people said when the CTS came out that the STS sales would fall flat and then die... that in June the STS was up 12% over last year and is currently 2% better for the year. It seems as tho the STS is actually BENEFITING from the CTS in two ways...

#1 The STS is getting the left over traffic from the people who actually come in to see the CTS and then opt for its more expensive sister due to extra size and prestige... I mean seriously.. the car looks MONEY, and the new revised Grille and Side Treatments do much to demonstrate that effect

#2 The CTS's styling is very clear in the 2008 STS. The front is essentially a CTS with a "Squared jaw"... the interior also benefits from the CTS as well... perhaps not to the electrifying effect that the CTS proposes but the design is remenisant and derivative enough that it still reminds U of the smaller car... yet does not offend the more affluent buyer who would pop an extra $10-30K on the larger STS.

NOW... I'm looking at August sales and yeah... 975 is pretty weak but have U seen the lots??? At least in my area... STSs are almost absent.. I gotta wonder if there isn't something else going on

Don't get me wrong, I think the CTS and STS are both outstanding. However, for $15K more sale price, I feel Cadillac should be able to make the STS incredible. Perhaps make the platitnum interior standard on the STS plus a synthetic suede headliner.

I don't think the "parts" in the platinum are that much more expensive, but with economies of scale, the marginal cost increase should be minimal.

ansky0007
09-06-08, 01:43 PM
I also like the STS look much better that the CTS especially the rear end. Its lacking in the technology... The NAV unit has been the same since 2004 when the 2005's were introduced. The NAV needs to be updated and a system like the CTS needs to be put in place with Hard Drive technology, etc. If they updated the technology they would surely sell more units. The car is at a premium price but the technology is a step down from their cheaper selling models.

justgreat
09-08-08, 12:25 PM
i think the more relevent fact re sales isn't about the cts versus the sts, but the abysmal sales of luxury sedans (i'm stretching that category to include the cts) in general...you just don't see them on the road...look at the infiniti m series...a great car but terrible sales numbers. except for the 3/5 series and the c/e class german sedans, the sport sedan market has shrunk.

it seems that folks just don't want premium sedans anymore...and that's a shame, imo.

jackg
06 sts6

dhemrick
09-08-08, 05:26 PM
i think the more relevent fact re sales isn't about the cts versus the sts, but the abysmal sales of luxury sedans (i'm stretching that category to include the cts) in general...you just don't see them on the road...look at the infiniti m series...a great car but terrible sales numbers. except for the 3/5 series and the c/e class german sedans, the sport sedan market has shrunk.

it seems that folks just don't want premium sedans anymore...and that's a shame, imo.

jackg
06 sts6

Don't want or can't afford?

The economy sucks right now, and a lot of the providers of higher end products like the STS, as well as higher end services are hurting. The whole purchasing paradigm has sort of stretched and shifted. It;s almost like everyone has shifted down an economic strata except for the super-rich.

The upper middle class demographic that the STS normally successfully targets have shifted to buying cheaper cars that were fomerly targeting the middle class, buying used cars, or not buying at all.

Once you get above upper middle class, you start getting more toward the richer economic strata that is less affected by the current economy, and they will continue to buy more expensive cars, such as your super-high end Mercedes, that target that demographic. This unfortunately leaves a gap in the price range of the STS where there aren't a lot of buyers.

The same goes for the furniture, restaurant and clothing industries to name a few. A lot of the near high end stores and restaurants are struggling because their regular customer base has shifted down to cheaper alternatives, yet the regular super high end customers did not also shift down to take their place.

That's just kind of my observation from owning a business and talking to friends and associates in other industries.

I don't think the STS is doing much of anything wrong, it's just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Force-1
09-09-08, 11:14 PM
Reminds me of the Lincoln LS. An excellent car (I owned an '02 V8 LSE) that Lincoln failed to advertise or steer to the right crowd. Sad that a Motor Trend Car of the Year died on the vine, and Lincoln pulled the trigger.

Jesda
09-11-08, 08:24 AM
The LS, imho, is superior to every Lincoln product currently being made. It really is quite sad. RIP Lincoln LS. :(

Lifer
09-11-08, 05:33 PM
The LS, imho, is superior to every Lincoln product currently being made. It really is quite sad. RIP Lincoln LS. :(

I owned a fully loaded all white (triple white exterior) 2004 V8 LS and it was an amazing car. I put 35,000 miles on it, drove it rather hard, and had no expenses except oil and filters. When I traded this immaculate car for my 2006 STS V*, I did so out of boredom and not of need. I like to own different cars (1997 Buick PA, 2000 Lincoln Cont, 2002 Lincoln Cont, and the LS). If Lincoln built an LS today, I would consider a a new one next year.

megeebee
09-11-08, 07:28 PM
Say what you will about the MKS, it's selling well so far. Over 2000 each of the last 2 months. I have to wonder about its long-term prospects, though. But for the time being, it's doing just fine.

Force-1
09-11-08, 08:34 PM

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/force98/Corvette-7.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/force98/DSCF0071.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/force98/LSE4.jpg

MARKVIII
09-12-08, 07:11 AM
One of the best cars i ever owned (and still miss driving) was my '96 Mark 8 LSC. Big Bold Beautiful and Fast. When i went to trade it in i almost got an LS but opted for a Eldo. instead.

justgreat
09-12-08, 05:32 PM
Don't want or can't afford?

The economy sucks right now, and a lot of the providers of higher end products like the STS, as well as higher end services are hurting. The whole purchasing paradigm has sort of stretched and shifted. It;s almost like everyone has shifted down an economic strata except for the super-rich.

The upper middle class demographic that the STS normally successfully targets have shifted to buying cheaper cars that were fomerly targeting the middle class, buying used cars, or not buying at all.

Once you get above upper middle class, you start getting more toward the richer economic strata that is less affected by the current economy, and they will continue to buy more expensive cars, such as your super-high end Mercedes, that target that demographic. This unfortunately leaves a gap in the price range of the STS where there aren't a lot of buyers.

The same goes for the furniture, restaurant and clothing industries to name a few. A lot of the near high end stores and restaurants are struggling because their regular customer base has shifted down to cheaper alternatives, yet the regular super high end customers did not also shift down to take their place.

That's just kind of my observation from owning a business and talking to friends and associates in other industries.

I don't think the STS is doing much of anything wrong, it's just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

oh...i don't think gm did anything wrong with the sts...i love my car, both the ride and the handling, which is saying something for a caddy...it's just the nature of the market. sport sedans are not selling well and haven't been for the last three years or more.

the established brands such as merc and bmw have an easier time selling their sedans. it's simply a matter of most people want sport utes. a few days ago i did a search for a lexus cpo gs or ls and the dealer in greenwich has 10 pages of the rx330 and not one ls or gs!! that pretty much sums up the marketplace in terms of demand for what product is selling.

jackg
06 sts6

justgreat
09-12-08, 05:39 PM
Reminds me of the Lincoln LS. An excellent car (I owned an '02 V8 LSE) that Lincoln failed to advertise or steer to the right crowd. Sad that a Motor Trend Car of the Year died on the vine, and Lincoln pulled the trigger.

i came so close to getting one of those when they first came out, it was so great to see ford go back to rwd with a 5 speed manual or auto...i didn't like the problems that were posted by the owners on various boards though... and from what i read, the ride wasn't dialed in...it was too harsh from what i remember from the road tests. i just saw one on my walk today...a very handsome car; understated but not bland...it brings to mind my 06 sts....

jackg
06 sts6

WorkinWoodWheel.TX
09-12-08, 10:52 PM
There are about 3 Cadillac dealerships around my place and they are filled with CTS. There is probably a handful of STS in each lot. I think if ppl actually looked at STS they would buy it over CTS. I going to buy CTS before I saw STS. After I sat in an STS, I never looked back at CTS.