: Gas filter replacement!!

DHspring
09-02-08, 03:06 PM
My compliments to Rube Goldberg who undoubtedly designed the gas filter for the 2005 STS and probably other years similarly. I'm not the world's best weekend mechanic but I'm pretty proficient at working under the hood, the gas filter on my 2005 is a nightmare, plan to spend an hour-plus, screwing around with no space to work and those loveable "quick disconnect" fittings. There is nothing quick-release about it, quick connect maybe once you get them off. You have to use a special tool and manuever with little room around 2 fittings on the back side, while luckily the front connector is a threaded coupling. I guess a threaded coupling on the back end was just too simple, and why there are 2 connection lines on the rear of the filter beats me, all 3 other GM cars I have, are SIMPLE! One line in, one line out, threaded usually, or quick connectors that don't require the same tool the STS does. Just my bitch of the day on this subject, good luck to all who try to do it themselves and save about $75 by the dealer or quick lube joints.

c5 rv
09-02-08, 03:42 PM
At least the fuel filter is not in the tank as with many other GM vehicles.

jono6406
09-02-08, 05:22 PM
Fuel filter in the tank. Never heard of that one before? Maybe the fuel pump but never the filter.

Jono

c5 rv
09-02-08, 08:35 PM
Fuel filter in the tank. Never heard of that one before? Maybe the fuel pump but never the filter.

Jono

Late model GM trucks.

DHspring
09-03-08, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I guess you don't bother changing the filter until the pump breaks with the filter in the tank. I can't imagine not putting an exterior gas filter on a car, small price to pay to eliminate or minimize a potential problem with sediment or someone jacking with your car who might put something destructive in your tank.