: VSS location and color of wire

gmc1500
09-02-08, 04:00 AM
Hi all I will be installing a OEM navigation unit in a 2006 STS and I need to figure out where I can tap the Vehicle Speed Sensor wire does anyone know where I can find the vss in the car and what color it is any help would be great. Thanks.

ansky0007
09-02-08, 06:03 PM
There is a lot more involved than just the VSS wire, The connectors are wired differently and the outputs are also different as well.

gmc1500
09-02-08, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the reply ansky0007. Do you by chance know of anyone one who has posted on this forum how to do it? I was looking last night for a couple of hours but did not find any post in regards to what the process is to install an OEM nav system. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

ansky0007
09-02-08, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the reply ansky0007. Do you by chance know of anyone one who has posted on this forum how to do it? I was looking last night for a couple of hours but did not find any post in regards to what the process is to install an OEM nav system. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Few have tried and I dont think anyone has ever managed to get one working 100%... There are just that many wiring differences and if you dont have the bose system with the speakers in the seats etc. then the bose amplifier is also different which makes it that much harder since the outputs on the nav head unit would not match the correct inputs even if re-wired.

Cliff8928
09-03-08, 11:28 PM
Wow, I just looked at the diagrams and there is a TON different with the various infotainment setups. Not nearly as easy as a CTS. However, to answer your question, the VSS wire is brown and goes from the ECM (C2 pin 22 with the LY7 engine, or C1 Pin 28 with the LH2 engine) to the radio connector C4 pin 15. If you dropped it in, it would probably function for the most part, but not the way it does in a a car with factory nav. It should work without the VSS wire connected, the motion will just be a little more delayed on the nav screen. I'm surprised it doesn't pick the VSS up off the CAN bus.

By chance, what RPO does your car have for the infotainment? (possibly a "YQ#" code)

ansky0007
09-04-08, 12:22 AM
I'm surprised it doesn't pick the VSS up off the CAN bus.

Based on what I have read I believe it does in 2007+ and up STS models. As for using the nav without a VSS signal it wont move anywhere without it. The units were designed to strictly use the VSS to move you along on the map. Without a VSS signal you will only drive in circles on the MAP. The biggest differences is with Bose Amp since the Amp is different in Nav vs. non Nav units. The head unit has many differences and you can not just pin it out differently since you will be missing frequency ranges.

There is a reason you can get the Factory Nav units on ebay for around $200 or so verse the CTS Nav Units going for over $1000 because they are an easy swap.

gmc1500
09-05-08, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all your help guys! I will be installing this radio next weekend. I am currently looking at the schematics and hope to figure it all out. I personally have a CTS and have done the NAV swap and it was easy, this install is for my pops STS (the nave was a bday gift). Wish me luck!

gmc1500
09-05-08, 02:33 PM
Cliff sorry what does "RPO" stand for.

ansky0007
09-05-08, 05:18 PM
Thanks for all your help guys! I will be installing this radio next weekend. I am currently looking at the schematics and hope to figure it all out. I personally have a CTS and have done the NAV swap and it was easy, this install is for my pops STS (the nave was a bday gift). Wish me luck!

Connectors will be different so you will need to get a bunch of connectors and pins and still the head unit will have different audio outputs so unless you are also swaping the bose amp it would not sound right if you managed to rewire all the differences. YOu should still not have some features... Without a lot of add on parts.

Cliff8928
09-06-08, 01:37 AM
Cliff sorry what does "RPO" stand for.

Regular Production Option. They're the 3-digit codes listed on the Service Parts Identification label on the spare tire cover.

Dualcams34
09-07-08, 08:28 PM
There is a vehicle speed sensor input at the radio but at this time Sunday night I can't help. You can call me at 517-885-7483 from 7-4 during the week and I will help you. Ask for Bill