: Trunk Pull Down Mechanism - $7 FIX

jey
09-01-08, 11:17 PM
Went to the junkyard today to find a replacement pull-down mechanism for the 93 Fleetwood (the motor the pulls the trunk shut after you close it).

Someone had already gotten to the one Fleetwood that was there.

Then I remembered reading on an older thread here that the mechanism for the LINCOLN TOWN CAR is the same. Well there were like a dozen Town Cars there, so I looked.

Turns out it is a DIRECT SWAP - bolt points, wiring harness, everything. Pick and Pull was having a 50% off sale this weekend. $7.17 later (though I had to buy a T27 TORX BIT to get the Fleetwood one removed!) I have working pull-down mechanism again.

Now the headache of dismantling it and winding it down by hand which somehow stripped the worm gears is all past.

pompste
09-02-08, 08:36 PM
Went to the junkyard today to find a replacement pull-down mechanism for the 93 Fleetwood (the motor the pulls the trunk shut after you close it).

Someone had already gotten to the one Fleetwood that was there.

Then I remembered reading on an older thread here that the mechanism for the LINCOLN TOWN CAR is the same. Well there were like a dozen Town Cars there, so I looked.

Turns out it is a DIRECT SWAP - bolt points, wiring harness, everything. Pick and Pull was having a 50% off sale this weekend. $7.17 later (though I had to buy a T27 TORX BIT to get the Fleetwood one removed!) I have working pull-down mechanism again.

Now the headache of dismantling it and winding it down by hand which somehow stripped the worm gears is all past.

Good for you! Who would have thought a Lincoln and a Fleetwood would share the same trunk motor pulldown?

My_favorite_Brougham
09-03-08, 01:37 AM
3rd party vendor to both, maybe? I doubt one would buy from another.

cadillac_al
09-03-08, 11:18 AM
Good tip, now I can expand my search. I need one for my 77 Fleetwood. It looks a little different than others I've had but I haven't removed it yet to examine it closely.

jey
09-03-08, 12:28 PM
Holy cow, the 77 Fleetwood had the pull-down latch too? That would be something if they used the same mechanism for almost 20 years. The one I'm dealing with has a 5-pin wiring harness, and bolts onto the trunk latch bracket with 3 bolts/screws. It looks like what Cadillac/Lincoln did was take the 3rd party trunk latch, and build an adapter bracket for their respective car that would ultimately bolt the latch to the car.

75sled
09-03-08, 12:53 PM
I had a 65 deville with a trunk pull down. I don't think it was the same sort of mechanism as what was used in the 70s or even today, but it was a truck pull down none the less.

Cadillacboy
09-04-08, 10:36 AM
WOW , 60's Caddies had had trunk pull down too , that's amazing Cadillac really make difference

scurling
09-06-08, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the good info. Eventually, we may all need a good cheap replacement. I think you should go back and buy the other trunk pull down units and sell them out on eBay. I'd give you $30.00 for your efforts. :-)

jayoldschool
09-06-08, 01:53 PM
Hmmm...

This makes me want to start a "Tech Tips" sticky for this section. What do you guys think? I'll PM Urb and see what he thinks...

scurling
09-06-08, 10:46 PM
That would be great with key words on the entries to assist with future searches. PN entries when possible and where applicable to assist with cross reference look ups.

I never would have though a Ford of Lincoln trunk latch part would would on the GM.

AladdinSane5150
09-06-08, 11:33 PM
Hmmm...

This makes me want to start a "Tech Tips" sticky for this section. What do you guys think? I'll PM Urb and see what he thinks...

I think that's an OUTSTANDING idea, Jay! I just got my shop manual off of e-bay (mint, btw) and it covers alot. However, it would be good to know model/year interchange info. for those junkyard hunting trips.

N0DIH
09-07-08, 10:36 PM
I have to get to a boneyard, mine isn't stripped gears, it is the switch that tells it to start/stop that broke.... Gears ok....