: Interior lights, power lock problems

rico
08-31-08, 02:23 PM
The power locks don't activate and the interior lights won't go off when I put my 1994 Fleetwood in gear or when I put in park. Also, the interior lights stay on and won't go off for a very long time. I am in Costa Rica and there is no authorized Cadillac repair centre. Any help would be appreciated.

jey
09-02-08, 08:19 AM
Are the power locks completely not functional, or are you talking about a feature where the car unlocks/locks when you put it in Park/Drive?

rico
09-02-08, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Only the feature where the car unlocks/locks when you put it in Park/Drive is not working, otherwise the locks work fine.

rico
09-03-08, 11:09 AM
Never mind, the problem cleared itself up.

elk9300`
09-03-08, 05:10 PM
Check the link below. There have been doubters to my solution of disconnecting the retainer on the problem door, but over 1 yr and no problems.
In looking at the circuits, I think moisture from humid air or rain causes this retainer (which has an electrical comnnector for the security and interior lights) to get grounded. While in drive acts as if one of the doors is open (hence your lights staying on and the auto door locks not lockin when put into drive). When you turn the car off, everythin on the RAP(retained Accessory power) circuit (radio, power windows etc) would not stay on (like when you open your doors, the radio shuts off) For me this problem started intermittently, but got worse when the nights would cool down enought to create extra condensation.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/123327-95-fleetwood-interior-lights.html

Actually I had the same problem. Lights on while in drive. Locks not auto locking etc. Does your alarm go off when it is humid or rainy?

My problem was the lock cylinder retainer which has a two wire connnector. These are no longer available through the dealer, however, you can simply unhook the wire going to it and things will be.

A quick diagnosis: While the car is running, have someone shut all four doors, when the interior light goes out (after the offending door is shut) you'll find your problem.

rico
09-04-08, 04:56 PM
Appreciate the replies, but the problem seems to have solved itself, all is working as it should. The day it started it had been raining pretty heavy - I am in Costa Rica and this is the rainy season. However, the problem has never happened during the other rainy seasons and not occurring on my other Fleetwood of the same year. The only difference between the two cars is the that problem one I noticed a slight ding near the door lock, as if some other car door hit it, causing a sticky problem with the door handle in opening the door. For now, as everything is working fine, I will leave it alone until and if the problem occurs again. Thank you to all for the help.