: Northstar Gasket Replacement $?

majax
06-13-04, 09:43 PM
My Northstar has 49,800 miles on it, I just bought the car. Its first owner(i am the 3rd) lived in Saskatchuwan and bought it there. On the first day I owned it i brought it too Jiffy Lube well for the usuall reason you go there and aparantly it had 3 leaks 2 from the Engine and one from the Trany. Now i am going to get this double checked by a real mechanic because who knows when it comes to Jiffy Lube. But my theary is that the gaskets could have been damaged bein left our one cold winter in Saskatchewan. So eventually that means all of the guaskets will die so what would it cost to replace every gasket on the Engine and the Transmission?

illumina
06-13-04, 10:29 PM
My Northstar has 49,800 miles on it, I just bought the car. Its first owner(i am the 3rd) lived in Saskatchuwan and bought it there. On the first day I owned it i brought it too Jiffy Lube well for the usuall reason you go there and aparantly it had 3 leaks 2 from the Engine and one from the Trany. Now i am going to get this double checked by a real mechanic because who knows when it comes to Jiffy Lube. But my theary is that the gaskets could have been damaged bein left our one cold winter in Saskatchewan. So eventually that means all of the guaskets will die so what would it cost to replace every gasket on the Engine and the Transmission? first off, please check in with a certified mechanic, DONT trust rippy-lube. other than that, where would you like me to start with a gasket overhaul on a n*??? if you have an arm of leg to spare then you should not worry, however, i doubt that you will have to have every gasket replaced, i would do the real mechanic thing first, then go from there. also, where do the leaks actualy come from? i know you said one was a tranny leak, but i would really make sure first, the other leaks could be minute, so once again, check in with the cert. mech. good luck, illuminaP.

Ranger
06-13-04, 11:05 PM
Every gasket on the engine and trans? I would venture to say you couldn't get out the door for less than $5000. Halfcase seals alone are about $2000. Your talking about pulling the engine and trans and completely disassembling it. Once the heads are off it should then be "timeserted" (more $$$). Sounds like overkill to me. I'm with lumina, find the problem and fix that.

growe3
06-13-04, 11:47 PM
Most of the time the oil leaks are very minor, more like seepage. A half-case leak is usually very slight and often is "stopped" by the road dirt it absorbs at the leak area.

A leak is admittedly annoying but no reason to have every gasket replaced.

Problem leaks are often from the oil cooler lines where they enter the oil filter adapter and where they enter the oil cooler at the radiator. The o-rings can shrink and that is the reason they may leak.

The oil filter adapter itself also has a couple of large O-rings that may need replacing.

The transmissions rarely leak. Again the transmission cooler lines may have O-rings that are starting to fail.

You need to get the engine cleaned, including the underside and watch carefully to determine where exactly the oil is coming from. If it is just a little seepage I certainly would not worry about it.

-George

BeelzeBob
06-14-04, 11:59 AM
Have the "leaks" checked but , unless you are seeing oil on the ground and drips and drops of oil I wouldn't worry in the least.

Any engine is going to have some oiliness and greasy spots when viewed from underneath. It fits into the "so what" category of evaluating used cars..... Unless the leak is heavy enough to cause consistent drops onto the pavement it really isn't hurting anything. Jiffylube points them out so that you won't come back and blame them for your oil leaks.....the garage points them out to keep their hoists busy "fixing" them.

Park the car in the same place and watch the ground for oil spots. Spread some clean cardboard down where you park and check it after several days for oil spots. Sit and idle over the cardboard for 15-20 minutes and then move the car and see if any oil spots happen. Oil dripping when the car is sitting vs. oil dripping while the engine is idling can be two different things. If it does drip, note the location of the drip relative to the car so that your mechanic knows where to start looking.

The engine gasketing and sealing systems are tested and validated in -40 weather so being in Saskatchewan didn't hurt it. GM has a cold weather test facility in Kapuskasing, Ontario for just such a purpose.