: Brake dust shields

pjbizjak
08-30-08, 05:18 PM
Has anyone tried or do they work? Subject: Brake dust shields. I wash my STS and a day later the front rims are coated with brake dust.....The are OEM ceramic pads.

porkfarm
08-30-08, 07:13 PM
I changed pads to gold kevllar from brakeworld. Much less dust.. I also wax my rims once a year and am not hard on the brakes. If I kow I have a stop sign coming, I coast and use the brake 3 times. Then roll forward a few inches so I don't have a hot spot on the rotors.

I think that you get more dust as they get closer to the end of pad. They don't seem to come back on the slides as the new ones.

Bad thing about the kevlar, You have to dry them in the rain or after a car wash. ( Tap the brake to dry ) Came out of a car wash last winter, and could not stop.. but it was cold. So now, when I come out I tap, and drag for a few feet.

Mothers makes some great wheel cleaner to get the dust off.

rb92gt
08-30-08, 11:22 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but I think they may look funny. After all, I like the looks of calipers and rotors and would choose those over plastic dust shields. I think using brake pads with alternative compositions may help.

BaTu
08-31-08, 11:05 AM
Not only are they going to "look funny" but they're going to effect brake cooling too...

Changing to ceramic pads made a Huge difference in my older STS but do I understand the JE5's don't have a good ceramic replacement available yet?