: Motor Trends first test

StealthCTSVJJL
08-29-08, 03:29 PM
Motor Trends first drive...4.1 0-60, 12.3 QM at over 117, automatic is clearly quicker!
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0811_2009_cadillac_cts-v_first_test/index.html

rand49er
08-29-08, 03:46 PM
Good stuff. I thought the AT was heavier than the MT. They show the MT 11 lbs heavier. Sure does stop fast!

Silverspeed
08-29-08, 04:58 PM
So when is someone going to hit 3.9 and 12.0????? I think we've been duped.

Jayrcr3
08-29-08, 05:16 PM
Go buy a BMW then if you don't like it, and go talk trash on the BMW boards.

chubbs032
08-29-08, 05:50 PM

wow, there is a child in everyone

Jpjr
08-29-08, 08:08 PM
that did sound childish

the performance numbers for the CTS-V are outstanding, but perhaps GM set expectations too high for their own good. this happened with they touted the XLR, which ended up never winning a comparo with the SL 500.

again, the good news is that this same platform will almost certainly be offerred with 600+hp after a few model years. there is a ton of upside potential.

CTS NV
08-29-08, 08:40 PM
Let's hope their price estimate $59,950 is close to reality.

EricVonHa
08-30-08, 11:45 PM
Check out the manual vs. automatic trans ratios on the CTS-V site. The automatic is clearly geared more better for launching out of the hole. The final drive ratio in 1st and 2nd gears is much more relaxed as compared to the manual with the 3.42 rear.

And, I think this is where all the ground is made up in the auto. Getting a huge horsepower 2 ton missile to get moving is no easy feat!

Kmajecki
08-31-08, 09:12 AM

This is talking trash? Here's a how to guide for future refference:
http://www.wikihow.com/Trash-Talk
hahah Yea boyyeeee-yuh! Booo-ya!

Surely Motor Trend has better inside sources on pricing than most of us. If they're still estimating $59k i'm hopeful :)

Lord Cadillac
08-31-08, 09:33 AM
This really wasn't called for.

Jpjr
08-31-08, 11:01 AM
Surely Motor Trend has better inside sources on pricing than most of us. If they're still estimating $59k i'm hopeful :)

I think they are guessing like all the other rags ;)

V-Love
09-01-08, 03:43 AM
That was a good write up. I can't believe the splitter and deck spoiler only add 50lb downforce at 150mph. It doesn't seem like much. I hope (like all of us) that the price is a little lower than estimates. That will make Cadillac look even better. I think I may skip my vacation this year to lock one down.

Flyboy
09-01-08, 11:24 AM
I think it's gonna' be ahellofacar. Especially priced where it looks like it's gonna' be. I will be waiting for a few months here in Arizona watching the forum, and if it all plays out the way I think it will . . . . . I'll be back in a "V" in less than 12 months.

terminal Velocity
09-01-08, 11:38 PM
How is being off .2 seconds in a 0-60 time being duped? Besides, Motor Trend always turns out slower times.

Maybe you don't need to go to a BMW board. But how about holding off on the negativity?

Silverspeed
09-02-08, 01:18 PM

:crybaby::crybaby: 36 years old.....:halo: You should learn what trash talking is, I believe someone posted you a link. The fact is, GM said 3.9 and 12.0 Nobody in a couple tests has been able to get close to those numbers. It's a fact, deal with it. Hopefully R&T will be able to attain them.

LV_V
09-02-08, 04:52 PM
"utilizing the no-lift shift programming in the manual"

What exactly is this??

HiTechRV
09-02-08, 09:32 PM
You hold down the gas and do not let up while shifting.

CVP33
09-02-08, 10:09 PM
:crybaby::crybaby: 36 years old.....:halo: You should learn what trash talking is, I believe someone posted you a link. The fact is, GM said 3.9 and 12.0 Nobody in a couple tests has been able to get close to those numbers. It's a fact, deal with it. Hopefully R&T will be able to attain them.

Not going to enter into the mud-slinging but I too feel a little "duped" on this. I was hoping that GM had learned it's lesson and would underestimate the numbers this time vs. V1. Guess not. Still great numbers but apparently ambitious.

Having said that, who wants to bet that on a cool autumn morning on a properly prepared track, 12.0's or better are achievable. All the rags say the 300 SRT8 runs 13.2-13.4. I've seen stockers hit 12.9X to 13.1X no problem. These performance numbers were most likely run in bad air on 85*+ days.

EricVonHa
09-03-08, 12:53 AM
Good point. The magazines got their test vehicles over the summer months. In the cool dense air of winter, expect the few tenths to be shed no problemo.

I've never seen so many old guys argue about speed.. do YOU really plan on cracking off full throttle 0 to 60 sprints or mashing the gas to do full throttle on ramp merges ? This has me laughing... :bonkers::histeric::stirpot:

terminal Velocity
09-03-08, 11:20 AM
Good point. The magazines got their test vehicles over the summer months. In the cool dense air of winter, expect the few tenths to be shed no problemo.

I've never seen so many old guys argue about speed.. do YOU really plan on cracking off full throttle 0 to 60 sprints or mashing the gas to do full throttle on ramp merges ? This has me laughing... :bonkers::histeric::stirpot:These numbers are indicative of what to expect and can be extrapolated to interpret performance across the power band and apply that to real world applications. Have fun playing with your legos and Pla Do...

LV_V
09-03-08, 12:47 PM
do YOU really plan on cracking off full throttle 0 to 60 sprints or mashing the gas to do full throttle on ramp merges ?

Huh? Ummm ya! Full throttle from every stop, even in school zones with kids present. :thepan:

LV_V
09-03-08, 12:50 PM
"utilizing the no-lift shift programming in the manual"

What exactly is this??

You hold down the gas and do not let up while shifting.

What would be the real world difference between this "no lift shift programming" for the manual trans on the V2 and simply power shifting the V1?

Silverspeed
09-03-08, 05:31 PM
. do YOU really plan on cracking off full throttle 0 to 60 sprints or mashing the gas to do full throttle on ramp merges ?

Absofreakinglutely. I'm 35, if I buy one, it WILL be driven.

HiTechRV
09-03-08, 08:45 PM
What would be the real world difference between this "no lift shift programming" for the manual trans on the V2 and simply power shifting the V1?

Not bouncing off the rev limiter and then loosing RPMs for a start. I suspect there is more, like maybe a short increase of the readline as the clutch begins to engage, but we will see shortly.

HiTechRV
09-03-08, 08:48 PM
I've never seen so many old guys argue about speed.. do YOU really plan on cracking off full throttle 0 to 60 sprints or mashing the gas to do full throttle on ramp merges ? This has me laughing...

I dare you to go over to the original CTS-V board and post that (chuckles). Believe it or not, yes and yes. And some road courses like Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca.

terminal Velocity
09-03-08, 11:29 PM
I dare you to go over to the original CTS-V board and post that (chuckles). Believe it or not, yes and yes. And some road courses like Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca.What the?? I never posted that. Fix yer quotes!

HiTechRV
09-07-08, 10:48 AM
My Bad - that was aimed at EricVonHa. Operator head space.

EricVonHa
09-07-08, 10:53 PM
No problem, we just thought it was the short circuit between the keyboard and the chair. :histeric: