: Oil pressure after HG repair

AKBanzai
08-28-08, 08:08 PM
First i want to thank everyone for all the information that this forums offers. It has been really helpful while doing my HG repair on my 98 sts and i don't think i would have attempted the repair with out this information.:angel: Now on to my problem.
I am almost done with my HG repair except for getting oil pressure. The engine sounds great except for the ticking in the heads because no oil pressre. I have tightened the harmonic balancer bolt, tried to prime the pump with adding 16 quarts of oil, pushed oil throught the oil filter adapter hole as it states in the manual, replaced the sensor installed a gauage, and for the life of me cant get pressure. I am about to pull the harmonic balancer and the front cover and check out the oil pump. i was just wondering if you guys have any suggestions.
Thank you!!!!

Ranger
08-28-08, 08:54 PM
You've already done everything I would have thought of suggesting. tightened the harmonic balancer to the proper specs?

AKBanzai
08-28-08, 09:01 PM
Yeah i did, and them some. One question when i do put the harmonic balancer on it should be flush with the crankshaft just like the water pump pulley and the power steering pulley.

Ranger
08-28-08, 09:32 PM
Someone else will have to answer that one. I've never had to do one.............. thankfully.

tateos
08-28-08, 09:49 PM
Actually, the same thing happened to me upon starting after the HG job. I never posted it on my thread but it was noisy so I checked everything but it was all fine. I got so frustrated I took it for a ride and floored it a few times, then she quieted right down to whisper quiet as it is to this day. Can't explain it exactly, but I would suggest you drive it a little and see if it gets better.

The balancer bolt washer should position the balancer to the proper position - it needs to be all the way in, since the oil pump drive is squeezed between the pulley hub face and the crankshaft flange

zonie77
08-29-08, 01:20 AM
Newer engines restrict oil to the heads. If the lifters bled down it will take a while to pump them up.

Do you have oil pressure? How long has it run? It took a scary long time to pump on the second one I did. Started it multiple times and let it run a short while each time. Eventually they quieted down. The real running time was probably 2-3 minutes.

AKBanzai
08-29-08, 03:30 PM
I dont have any oil pressure at all.

zonie77
08-29-08, 05:08 PM
Then that's not good.

The torque was really high for the balancer bolt. I think 250 ft/lbs.

tateos
08-29-08, 06:02 PM
Then that's not good.

The torque was really high for the balancer bolt. I think 250 ft/lbs.

I think the spec is actually 37 ft lbs plus 120 degrees. I didn't find that to be that tight, so when I did my HG, I loosened it and retightened, just to be sure, but it really didn't feel like more than maybe 100 ft lbs

AKBanzai
08-29-08, 06:57 PM
Well im going to take the Harmonic Balancer off and try again. Hopefully thats all its is.

AKBanzai
08-29-08, 08:12 PM
Is the end of the crankshaft suppose to be flush with the harmonic balancer?

jeffrsmith
08-29-08, 08:55 PM
When I put mine back on it stuck out just a little from the end of the crank - I think that is the way it is supposed to be, or at least that is all the farther I could get it on with my Harmonic Balancer Tool. If I remember correctly, it was not flush when I removed it.... but I could be mistaken.

AKBanzai
08-30-08, 01:58 AM
Thank you guys for all your help. It was the harmonic balancer. I took the bolt off and it look like it was on far enough but just in case it wasn't i took a wood block and hammer to it and put back together.:thumbsup: And... presto there was oil pressure. Just have to figure out a few codes and why my windshield wipers wont come on. P0111,p0113,p1111,and c1760. Once again thank you guys.

jeffrsmith
08-30-08, 09:09 PM
AKB - after you hit it with the hammer was it flush? or was it sticking out just a little?

AKBanzai
08-31-08, 11:02 PM
sticking out a little. like there was a lip on the balancer

tateos
09-02-08, 08:31 PM
Thanks for taking the time to give us an update; all of us that have gone through the process felt your pain, but it's good to know it was something so simple.

I can't figure out how you can install and torque the bolt without having the balance all the way on... I purchased a harmonic balancer installer off e-bay (~$20) at the suggestion of someone on the forum, and I guess it was a good idea.