: 99 DeVille poor radio reception

hnettles
08-27-08, 01:39 PM
I have just purchased a 99 DeVille d'Elegance. One owner, 67K, very clean. It has the stock factory radio (non-Bose, single cd, 11 speaker). I am very pleased with the sound of this setup, and it operates very nicely -- except for the mediocre radio reception. The power antenna is going up and down properly, and the radio does work, but the reception is just not up to snuff. I suspect an antenna problem, possibly a loose connection at the back of the radio, or a damaged antenna lead. I took a quick look at the head unit, and did not see the tell-tale holes for inserting a DIN release tool. How do you remove this head unit to check the antenna connection?

If the antenna connection at the rear of the radio is good, any advice as to where the antenna lead is most likely to be damaged? With the power antenna on the rear fender, that has to be a long antenna lead, and I don't have a clue where it runs.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

hnettles
08-31-08, 12:17 AM
This appears to be a fairly inactive sub-forum (either that, or my question was just too hard for everyone :) ).

I found the answer to pulling the radio, in case someone else ever needs to know. The trim panel surrounding the radio simply pulls forward to remove, and then you press the two tabs and pull the radio towards you. There is one tab on each side of the radio, and they are fairly obvious when you look at the radio with the trim panel removed. The tabs are fairly tough to press far enough to release, and you have to pull pretty hard on the radio. I wound up releasing one side at a time, using a big screwdriver to press the tab. The antenna was firmly connected at the back of the radio, so now I guess I'll start checking connections at the antenna itself.