: 98 sts stalling..aj..ranger...sub...help

mikelawson
08-27-08, 12:08 AM
Ok, I've tried it all,.... First I replaced the CKP's since it only stalls coasting to a stop or stopped. I have read multiple old threads and tried all things that I didn't think would cause it, and I'm still having the problem. To be more specific, it stalls with the engine hot or cold and only when coasting to a stop or stopped. It will do it 2 to 3 times a day in heavy traffic. I just replaced the head gaskets on this car and all is great except for this. The ONLY code is P1599 (engine near stall or stall) which makes this even harder since I don't have anything else to go on. Here's what I have tried,.... different EGR, different TPS, different cam position sensor, different IAC,...... I think that's all.. I've read about possible FPR, but I don't think so since it starts right up and never surges,...... I am going to try another set of coils, but once again, it never misses during cruising or acceleration. The backfire valve????? Never seen a bad one, but I guess I may try that as well. It definately doesn't have any vaccuum leaks either since it idles perfect when it doesn't stall. I didn't do a relearn on the ckps since everyone said it wasn't necessary, but should I give that a try?? :histeric:

AJxtcman
08-27-08, 01:30 AM
Ok, I've tried it all,.... First I replaced the CKP's since it only stalls coasting to a stop or stopped. I have read multiple old threads and tried all things that I didn't think would cause it, and I'm still having the problem. To be more specific, it stalls with the engine hot or cold and only when coasting to a stop or stopped. It will do it 2 to 3 times a day in heavy traffic. I just replaced the head gaskets on this car and all is great except for this. The ONLY code is P1599 (engine near stall or stall) which makes this even harder since I don't have anything else to go on. Here's what I have tried,.... different EGR, different TPS, different cam position sensor, different IAC,...... I think that's all.. I've read about possible FPR, but I don't think so since it starts right up and never surges,...... I am going to try another set of coils, but once again, it never misses during cruising or acceleration. The backfire valve????? Never seen a bad one, but I guess I may try that as well. It definately doesn't have any vaccuum leaks either since it idles perfect when it doesn't stall. I didn't do a relearn on the ckps since everyone said it wasn't necessary, but should I give that a try?? :histeric:

FPR can cause that.
The Back Fire valve can cause it also.
Were the Intake gaskets reused?
The intake gasket can cause this also.

Can you read the MAF values?
I would think that you should see above 6.73 g/s at idle. If you see less than that you may have a vacuum

Ranger
08-27-08, 12:15 PM
For a moment I though maybe the TCC was not disengaging, but that would set a DTC. It has to be something that won't set one like the things AJ mentioned. While I would not expect those to cause a stall, he is more knowledgeable about it than I.

mikelawson
08-28-08, 04:36 PM
I replaced the map sensor and the set of coils and all is better now. Not sure which one actually fixed it, but all is better now. Thanks for the input.

Mike