: 22 inch wheel question

BlackedouT STS
08-26-08, 01:38 AM
I have a 2005 V8 STS and I am looking for a set of 22 inch wheels. I found a set but I dont know if they will rub. They are 22 x 9.5 (F & R) and the offset is 35mm. i was thinking about running 265/30-22's on them. Does anyone know if these will fit on the car without rubbing :confused:?
Thanks

nguyendot
08-29-08, 11:57 AM
If you install 22's - you can say goodbye to your ride quality. Search the forums, many people have done it, however. I think the largest I'd do on this car is 20's/

cocaines
09-15-08, 01:35 AM
your gonna have to go with 22 x8.5 thats what i got without rubbing with a 42 offset aswell at 255/30/22 tires

turnerbend
09-15-08, 07:58 PM
I go 20"s on my 05 STS and the ride went to Hell. A lot of road noise at all speed. I'm taking them off this week. Anybody want a set of 20"s with nitto tires with less than 3000 Miles?

jono6406
09-15-08, 09:07 PM
NOT ME. I'M SATIFIED WITH MY OEM 18'S.:hide:

JONO

Cliff8928
09-16-08, 02:59 AM
I just shipped out the set of 20s that the dealer put on before I got it in favor of the stock 18/19s. Rides much better.

Dr. Design
09-16-08, 07:00 PM
Hello,
Those fronts would be a bit wide....You might have some rubbing issues to say the least. We wouldnt recommend anything wider than a 9" wide in the front. You can go 10.5 in the rear all day long. Sounds like these are 1-piece wheels?

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I have a 2005 V8 STS and I am looking for a set of 22 inch wheels. I found a set but I dont know if they will rub. They are 22 x 9.5 (F & R) and the offset is 35mm. i was thinking about running 265/30-22's on them. Does anyone know if these will fit on the car without rubbing :confused:?
Thanks

BlackedouT STS
09-18-08, 01:22 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to go with 20's so i can save some ride quality and keep the same rolling diameter. I am going to run 20x8.5's with 245/35-20 on the front and 275/30-20 on the back. Another plus is I can go ahead and buy my Corsa catback with the extra money I'm saving :thumbsup:

tekno
09-20-08, 01:44 AM
The ride doesn't ALWAYS go to hell with larger diameter wheels. I don't even notice much of a difference between my 22's and the stock wheels. My wheels are made from aircraft grade aluminum, so they are pretty light (compared to most cast aftermarket wheels). I wouldn't go offroad it, or drive over a road full of holes. But the difference is minimal at best.

I had 20's on my CTS, PLUS lowering springs and it rode like a dream. Larger diameter wheels, or lowering doesn't ALWAYS mean that you will kill your ride quality. Now I had a tahoe that I lowered, and it road like COMPLETE CRAP.

ramie
09-22-08, 09:28 AM
What do want for the wheels and tires?

gotansts
09-22-08, 03:01 PM
i was going to go 22s till i read this thanks and for the dude trying to sell hes wheels ebay them i dont know what you want for them but you might sell them and get what u want

lreddiablo
09-25-08, 04:31 PM
The ride doesn't ALWAYS go to hell with larger diameter wheels. I don't even notice much of a difference between my 22's and the stock wheels. My wheels are made from aircraft grade aluminum, so they are pretty light (compared to most cast aftermarket wheels). I wouldn't go offroad it, or drive over a road full of holes. But the difference is minimal at best.

I had 20's on my CTS, PLUS lowering springs and it rode like a dream. Larger diameter wheels, or lowering doesn't ALWAYS mean that you will kill your ride quality. Now I had a tahoe that I lowered, and it road like COMPLETE CRAP.

So how much dough did u spend for the set of 4 good quality wheels? Thats one thing for everyone to consider here, you want to have your below axle weight as low as possible, esp for this car. So dont buy el cheapo rimms even if they look nice. Not sure yet if I am going to pay up to up the wheel size on my car or not. I am considering refinishing the factory polished aluminum 18s on my car to a gunmetal, got a black STS and I think this would match the car nicely.

GETLADE
09-30-08, 04:37 PM
I got 22" staggereds on my car and it rides just like it did with the factory wheels, the STS is more of a sporty ride opposed to the DTS, imo i think the car handles better with the bigger wheels.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k108/trucuban/sts.jpg

turnerbend
09-30-08, 05:00 PM
I tried to fool myself into thinking the ride was the same too because they look so good on the car. After removing the wheels and going back to stock wheels, there is a big different. no more low speed road noise, no braking noise and I don't feel the road.

BlackedouT STS
10-01-08, 04:04 PM
OK, after days of debating and searching I decided to go with 22's. They are 3 piece wheels with a 40mm offset. The fronts are 8.5" wide and the rears are 10" wide. I know that cocaines said i needed to find a wheel with a 42mm offset, but I don't see 2mm making a big difference. Now to the tire search, does anyone know what size tires i should run with this setup? Also, any recommendations on a quiet tire with decent tread wear? I was thinking about the Falken FK 452's, but a lot of the reviews i have read on them say that they very loud and wear down quickly even though they have a 300 tread wear rating.

Dr. Design
10-01-08, 06:15 PM
Take a look at the Toyo Proxy 4's. They offer great performance and 300 tread rating....We can get them for you at a pretty good price!

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

OK, after days of debating and searching I decided to go with 22's. They are 3 piece wheels with a 40mm offset. The fronts are 8.5" wide and the rears are 10" wide. I know that cocaines said i needed to find a wheel with a 42mm offset, but I don't see 2mm making a big difference. Now to the tire search, does anyone know what size tires i should run with this setup? Also, any recommendations on a quiet tire with decent tread wear? I was thinking about the Falken FK 452's, but a lot of the reviews i have read on them say that they very loud and wear down quickly even though they have a 300 tread wear rating.

BlackedouT STS
10-01-08, 09:41 PM
I looked at the Toyos and read some reviews. They look like a great tire. What size should I go with?

Dr. Design
10-02-08, 12:35 PM
Hello,
You can run a 255/30/R22 and a 285/30/R22 for the rear. Let us know if you have any questions.
Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I looked at the Toyos and read some reviews. They look like a great tire. What size should I go with?

WorkinWoodWheel.TX
10-02-08, 03:43 PM
just ordered me some 22s. to the ppl with 22s already, what size tires do yall have?

tekno
10-05-08, 02:37 AM
255/30 on all four, I am running staggerd 3 piece forged that are 8.5" front and 9.5" rear. I didn't want to fork over $300-$400 a tire so I went with the 255/30 Nankang tires on all four. They have a more tread and better wear rating than most other tires also, all for $125-$155 a tire. However, they are a bit more noisey than some of the other brands.

As far as price is concerned on 3 piece forged wheels, they are typically pretty pricey but worth every penny IMO. If you don't have to have chrome, you can get a two piece wheel that is awsome too.