: Value proposition: 09V2 vs GMS Z06 vs GMS STS-V

Jpjr
08-26-08, 01:08 AM
Bottom line: You can buy a Z06 or STS-V in the mid 60's right now, and for me $3k less since they are allowing GM Card miles with employee pricing for the first time.

Am I crazy? (For thinking STS-V or not thinking STS-V at this price point)

I think I'm crazy, I just don't know why yet lol.

CIWS
08-26-08, 07:37 AM
Well you won't have as much power, but you will have more room. Can't speak to all amenities yet because I haven't driven around a V2 :) But the STS-V definitely has them, and an 08 would have HUD, lane departure, and blindspot warning that the V2 does not.

terminal Velocity
08-26-08, 10:29 AM
Well you won't have as much power, but you will have more room. Can't speak to all amenities yet because I haven't driven around a V2 :) But the STS-V definitely has them, and an 08 would have HUD, lane departure, and blindspot warning that the V2 does not.An HUD is about the only option you listed I would be mildly interested in. As for more room, that may be so on paper, but I find the STS barely roomier than a previous gen CTS. So unless the V shrinks, I think room is a moot point.

And a slushbox? Geesh...

CIWS
08-26-08, 11:36 AM
An HUD is about the only option you listed I would be mildly interested in. As for more room, that may be so on paper, but I find the STS barely roomier than a previous gen CTS. So unless the V shrinks, I think room is a moot point.

My friends/passengers who have ridden in my CTS-V, the 08 CTSs I've had as a loaners and my STS-V have all commented how much roomier and comfortable the STS-V is. Me personally, I can't comment as I rarely sit in the back seats or passenger side. But they have certainly made the comments to me so I believe it about the car.

And a slushbox? Geesh...

It's the only way the STS-V is built, so if you drive one, that's what you get. A potential owner will have a choice with the V2, and if John Heinricy can use one to set a record ring time they can't be as bad as you've convinced yourself they are.

Jpjr
08-26-08, 11:48 AM
How about I pose the question differently:

If you had the opportunity to buy an $80k STS-V for $65k (less than the 09V), out the door right now, would you consider it? If not, was the STS-V ever worth $80k in the first place?

I am especially plauged since I will be between cars soon if I wait for the V2.

CIWS
08-26-08, 12:33 PM
I'd say 65K for a new STS-V is a good deal and definitely worth considering. Personally I have no regrets in getting an STS-V, it's a very nice car. However at this point we are still guessing what the 09Vs price tag will be. It may end up being 65K as well.

atdeneve
08-26-08, 12:34 PM
I'd put that towards the 09 V (if it doesn't cover it all, that is).

terminal Velocity
08-26-08, 02:48 PM
It's the only way the STS-V is built, so if you drive one, that's what you get. A potential owner will have a choice with the V2, and if John Heinricy can use one to set a record ring time they can't be as bad as you've convinced yourself they are.I have little issue with most manumatics these days. But there also is a difference from most tracks in the US and the Nurburgring. A lot more hectic and a lot more involving. And on the street, there's no substitute for rowing your own.

terminal Velocity
08-26-08, 02:54 PM

If you had the opportunity to buy an $80k STS-V for $65k (less than the 09V), out the door right now, would you consider it? If not, was the STS-V ever worth $80k in the first place?

I am especially plauged since I will be between cars soon if I wait for the V2.I think the STS-V was as appropriately priced as the XLR-V.

The CTS-V to me was fairly priced. For less than an M3 and worlds less than an M5 for a car that was not far off in dimensions and features of the M5 was quite a bargain in my eyes. If the STS-V went for $60-65G and the XLR-V for about $75G, I think that would made them much more relevant.

The new CTS-V is worlds more developed than the previous CTS-V and STS-V for much less than a previous STS-V.

Kadonny
08-26-08, 04:19 PM
As for more room, that may be so on paper, but I find the STS barely roomier than a previous gen CTS. So unless the V shrinks, I think room is a moot point.

I'll disagree. I have owned both, the STS-V is definately roomier, especially in driver legroom and shoulder room. I was recently in a Gen2 CTS and it is much roomier than the Gen1, especially in leg room.

LITTLEELVISDAN
08-26-08, 05:02 PM
It depends on what you want. I love my STS-V and am not giving it up even for a V2. I will buy a CTS-V coupe but never give up my STS-V. I measured room between a DTS and a STS and the STS is a little narrower but the STS has more leg room front and rear.

LITTLEELVISDAN
08-26-08, 05:06 PM
as for slush box... never think a STS-V is anything like the ride of a DTS or STS. Sure its not a "put your balls in your throat when you hit a bump ride" but it is fairly stiff. Best thing is go test drive all you mentioned and see what you like.

PS..... You can get a STS-V much cheaper than you posted.

Jpjr
08-26-08, 06:23 PM
as for slush box... never think a STS-V is anything like the ride of a DTS or STS. Sure its not a "put your balls in your throat when you hit a bump ride" but it is fairly stiff. Best thing is go test drive all you mentioned and see what you like.

PS..... You can get a STS-V much cheaper than you posted.

Really? You mean slightly used like on ebay?

whisler151
08-26-08, 06:31 PM
As for more room, that may be so on paper, but I find the STS barely roomier than a previous gen CTS.

Maybe if you are 6'5". In my opinion (not only on paper) the STS-V is a lot roomier than the CTS-V. The 2 plus inches that you gain in room with the STS-V definitely feels like a lot.

Riding in a STS-V is WAY more comfortable than in a CTS-V.

BigFred
08-28-08, 12:37 AM
I think the new CTS-V vs. a new STS-V is a no brainer, get the CTS-V. A half second to 60 and the new shocks (if they are all they are cracked up to be). The real value question is saving some serious dough and getting a used STS-V vs. a new CTS-V. Although the full leather treatment on the STS-V is pretty cool.

Jpjr
08-28-08, 10:15 AM
I think the new CTS-V vs. a new STS-V is a no brainer, get the CTS-V. A half second to 60 and the new shocks (if they are all they are cracked up to be). The real value question is saving some serious dough and getting a used STS-V vs. a new CTS-V. Although the full leather treatment on the STS-V is pretty cool.

Wow, prices on the STS-v are significantly lower than I thought... thanks to a PM I received! A slightly used STS-v in the low 40's is possibly the cheapest 470hp you can find anywhere.

CIWS
08-28-08, 12:49 PM
Wow, prices on the STS-v are significantly lower than I thought... thanks to a PM I received! A slightly used STS-v in the low 40's is possibly the cheapest 470hp you can find anywhere.

Highly recommended you get the service history run on the car first :thumbsup:

Jpjr
08-28-08, 03:20 PM
Highly recommended you get the service history run on the car first :thumbsup:

I've bought performance cars off ebay before... i always have them independently assessed and go very low mileage with factory warranty in tact.

1fstkde
08-30-08, 02:50 PM
Well you won't have as much power, but you will have more room. Can't speak to all amenities yet because I haven't driven around a V2 :) But the STS-V definitely has them, and an 08 would have HUD, lane departure, and blindspot warning that the V2 does not. how about the keyless start?? thats one thing im really going to miss..love to have the key left in my pocket the whole time..:cool2:

HiTechRV
09-02-08, 09:54 PM
I love the HUD and the keyless entry. I like the lane departure as a driving aid for clipping apexes LOL. Blind spot warning has yet to come in handy. GPS tilts LOL.

When the STS-V came out it was the most powerful Caddy ever built. Now it's not. And the N* is hard to modify compared to an LS*.

Goodbye STS-V and Hello CTS-V2.

jkviper
09-04-08, 09:47 PM

I am especially plauged since I will be between cars soon if I wait for the V2.

BINGO, that is the real question.

Don't get me wrong, I have been a GM fan for a long time. I have had 4 vettes, and have $3500 worth of points saved up on my GM Card waiting to be used, but just have not found the right car.

I beleive that the MSRP on the STS is just too high and you really need to apply all the various Employee pricing and GM card points to get the price down to what the car is really worth.

For example, STS-V lists for 80 K. or an STS V8 1SG with Platinum package lists for about 75K. I just ordered a Jaguar XF supercharged for approx 62K, the car listed for 66K. Including supercharged V8, active cruise control(Not available on STS-V), blind spot monitor, leather wrapped dash and doors(included on STS-V and Platinum Edition), heated-cooled seats, parking assist and camera, ipod integration(Not available on STS-V or STS), etc.

Now I realize the Jag is a bit of a gamble with the new owners and all, but the net-net is they are both rear wheel drive high end luxury cars and I like both very much. I was able to order exactly what I wanted and was out the door for 62K, not cheap, but I think a decent value.

So when I compare a caddy with a little less equipment that list for 80K or 75K I just think the MSRP is out of wack.

Now if the CTS V comes in fully loaded for 65K, I think GM priced it right on the money!!