: air intake pro's & cons

PhillyCaddy
06-12-04, 10:58 PM
Just wondering what is the pro's and cons for either a cold air intake or just adding a high flow air filter to the air box will be. Will the air intake realy make a difference on 94 sls N* or any N*. or just maybe a high flow filter.

I have a air intake in my 87 jeep and it does help it breath more, also I have a header and cat-back on it along with a lift and all.
I just like to see what is said and what you think would be better for the car.

growe3
06-13-04, 02:09 AM
Engineering opinion is the Northstar has more than ample intake supply; nothing to be gained here but noise and less efficiency.

Opening up the exhaust though may prove to be beneficial, though costly for a quality system.

-George

JSMeloche
06-14-04, 10:59 AM
Bruce Nanaly (i think) from CaddyInfo.com did some test a while ago. Result showed that a cone filter does more harm then help. His results even showed that a drop in K&N is not as good as the plain stock paper filter!!!

Personaly ive putted a drop in K&N and I really like the sound of it. Not too loud but when you punch it you see heads turning with the WTF look on their face ;)

I used to have a Ractive cone filter in my 4 cyl. Sunbird and it was LOUD, even if it was a crappy engine.

BeelzeBob
06-14-04, 11:33 AM
Cons to the cold air intake....

Possible water intrusion if driving thru standing water...the engines like the NOrthstar are very sensitive to water intrusion into the intake as the tuned intakes with a large plenum will catch the water and funnel it suddenly to one cylinder with bad results (like rods onto the street.....)

More induction noise.

Filter will get dirty much quicker as production system is designed and tested to minimize dust intrusion.

Icing and clogging in cold weather.

Pro's to the cold air intake.....

Not many, really.... unless you like the increased induction noise.

The production system flows pretty good so there really isn't a whole lot to gain with the cold air intake systems. Certainly not a "seat of the pants" type improvement.

Mikhail
06-15-04, 09:23 AM
But doesn't CAI improve perfomance ?

Aurora By Olds
06-15-04, 11:09 PM
Nope, as Bbob said, there is no real advantages.
And take it from someone who knows, the CAI really does nothing but increas intake noise....by a WHOLE BUNCH!
Mine is just nothing more than annoying anymore. During long trips when I pass often (loudest right around 4k) it gives me a headache its so loud.
The only good part about it, is going at WOT through tunnels and listening to it howl..

cadillacstars
06-17-04, 12:26 AM
Are you guys kidding????? the K&N sticker alone gave me 40 hp!!! Anyway i made a custom cold air intake for my bucket, it comes down, out, and sits right in front of the left tire about 5 inches off the ground. I dont drive it in the rain, and i dont go to automatic carwashes. any gains?, nope, none, nothing at all. but my personal opinion is that is sounds really sweet, especially with a full straight custom exhaust (and factory tips). the whole thing is ridiculously loud at WOT, some nascar soundin' . its funny to see people look at every car but mine when I floor it and speed away.

BeelzeBob
06-17-04, 01:42 PM
It really depends on the car as to whether the idea of a CAI works or not....

Some cars have (admittedly) a very restrictive air intake system either by design or due to packaging or noise constraints. OEM's must pass a pass-by sound test for the new car design so induction noise is a big player and last minute tuning to get the induction noise down can sometimes create a more restrictive ssytem than is desireable.

Given that this is a Cadillac Forum and the posts on this area are specifically about the Northstar I can say with some confidence that there is very little to nothing to be gained in terms of restriction reduction with a different air filter element, CAI or mods to the intake system on the Northstars. Realizing that this was a prime area for power (loss) the systems on the FWD Northstar cars were designed for maximum flow and sound attenuation from the beginnings....so there is little improvement there with the CAI idea.

Lots more induction noise to be gained, though....LOL....those poor NVH engineers are getting hot flashes with all this talk about more induction noise and CAI.....

156MPH
06-22-04, 02:38 AM
I like mine.......

PhillyCaddy
06-22-04, 10:37 PM
thanks bob and all others to who replyed to this thread, I just wanted to know if it was worth adding one but now I know not to. I do know that the one I added to my jeep added a few extra ponies and some less restriction. I guess all I will be adding in the future will be a nice exsaust.
thanks again.