: Brand new N*...

RLLOVETT
06-12-04, 11:33 PM
There is one on eBay which would be the ultimate solution to my head gasket problem, but it's advertised as 300hp and my 94 Eldo is NOT the ETC (VIN Y) but rather the VIN 9...would there be suspension 'overload' or any other problems around swapping in the higher rated engine (it comes with the tranny)?
I'm assuming it would bolt right on to the same mounts but are there any other drive train issues like CV joints, etc? Spose I'd have to spring for a new PCM...thanks!

elwesso
06-13-04, 12:14 AM
You should be fine, the tranyn is the smae, just with a different final drive... Probably want a new PCM, and you could gte one and have a performance chip done to it! SWEET!

Geno Castellano
06-14-04, 01:06 PM
There is one on eBay which would be the ultimate solution to my head gasket problem, but it's advertised as 300hp and my 94 Eldo is NOT the ETC (VIN Y) but rather the VIN 9...would there be suspension 'overload' or any other problems around swapping in the higher rated engine (it comes with the tranny)?
I'm assuming it would bolt right on to the same mounts but are there any other drive train issues like CV joints, etc? Spose I'd have to spring for a new PCM...thanks!

Is the engine a 93/94 version? If it's a 95 or later it's NOT going to be a clean boltin for your car. There are significant differences in the intake manifold, EGR system, and cylinder heads with the 93/94 engines and later ones.

The only thing different is the intake camshafts. If you get it, swap the intake cams from your engine into the replacement. Not a difficult job and then you have the correct engine in the car.

A 300 horsepower engine isn't going to be very pleasible in your application with the 3.14 final drive. The 300 horsepower engine has less low end torque (less all the way to 5000rpm) and will feel soft on acceleration without the 3.71 final drive that it's calibrated for. You can't change this with a "chip" or "performance calibration". The transmission in your car is calibrated to shift for the 270 horsepower engine and will shift too soon to take advantage of the 300 horsepower engine even if you did change the transmission or final drive ratio.

If you get a replacement 93/94 engine and it's a 300 horsepower version then I'd highly recommend the camshaft swap to keep the correct version of the engine in the car.

RLLOVETT
06-14-04, 02:41 PM
Isn't the final drive part of the transmission? I'm an old RWDer so still a little confused about the architecture when all is stuffed under the hood. Checking to see if it's 93-94 and if it is, the cam swap sounds good.
My gasket prob gets worse by the day: gas prices? who cares when I'm getting about ten miles per gallon of coolant!

Geno Castellano
06-14-04, 04:02 PM
The final drive gearing is part of the transmission but it can be changed.

RLLOVETT
06-14-04, 04:49 PM
The engine for sale INCLUDES the 4t-80E, so if it's correct for my year (even if not for my model) it should be an easy bolt-in...no? The pictures make me think it couldn't be 10 years old, though. Ebay has screwed up my member password/id so I haven't been able to ask the seller the year. Thnaks for the info!

elwesso
06-14-04, 11:19 PM
If yoiu wait long enough, the coolant will cause the aluminum to degrade and take the engine to craps...

But if your getting a new one thats OK..

It will take some work but the swap is definitely doable....

RLLOVETT
06-15-04, 08:57 PM
Now you're making me nervous, cuz I have to nurse this one along until my son takes off for a week and I can use his (to save renting)...Anthony Cipriano's got me convinced that Limp-Home mode will absolutely prevent any damage so I've got my fingers crossed!

elwesso
06-15-04, 11:22 PM
Again if your throwing in a new engine it shouldnt really matter.

Do yo uhave a factory service manual? If not you must get one. You should also perform many things on the new engine befroe you install it. Reseal the valve covers, clean perfectly (plenum, TB, etc), maybe even timesert the block.

Stuff with the engine out takes 1/4 the time, and if you do it all at once youll be set for 100k!