: G8 gxp or cts v 07

brotherv
08-25-08, 08:39 PM
Gentlemen,

I have been lurking on the list for awhile and researching the MY06/07 CTS-V and then all these media coverage came out about the G8 GXP (which looks nice as well):).

Anyone have opinions on which to buy? I currently drive a BMW and have thought about going to one of these cars but I wanted to get the lists opinion.

I don't have the dough for the new CTS-V (nor do I want a superchager :thehand:) so it is between these 2

Let the s**t fly...:crybaby:

TIA

sleepys4
08-25-08, 08:59 PM
Is this really a question?

Bueller
08-25-08, 09:03 PM
I bet you would be happy with either one. I love my V. I think if you asked the G8 forum...they would pick the pontiac.

The best part about the V is that not everyone knows what it is. 3 great groups to find at a stoplight are other Caddy owners, Mustangs/Cobras/Shelby and import owners. They scratch their head a little different but it are equally entertaining. Limited production has benefits.

Either one will be a blast.

Twitch
08-25-08, 09:05 PM
This is like going to a bloods "social gathering" wearing blue. :tisk:

Twitch
08-25-08, 09:08 PM
I bet you would be happy with either one. I love my V. I think if you asked the G8 forum...they would pick the pontiac.

The best part about the V is that not everyone knows what it is. 3 great groups to find at a stoplight are other Caddy owners, Mustangs/Cobras/Shelby and import owners. They scratch their head a little different but it are equally entertaining. Limited production has benefits.

Either one will be a blast.
I played with a NICE Cobra last week. I took the first, he got the second. I'd really LOVE to run into him after next week :lildevil:

Civardi
08-25-08, 09:20 PM
I'd really LOVE to run into him after next week :lildevil:

You know you just jinxed yourself. :thepan:

concorso
08-25-08, 09:28 PM
Forgetting about badging, I think youd be happy with either purchase.

Civardi
08-25-08, 09:44 PM
I considered waiting for the Pontiac but I do not like the front end. If it looked like the Holden I may have waited it out.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj202/Civardi/holden.jpg

mbiker97
08-25-08, 09:51 PM
Either would be sweet. The V is a bit more luxurious. Plus you can't get a GXP yet (that I know of), only the GT which is in auto only.

terminal Velocity
08-25-08, 09:55 PM
Either will be a good choice. You get a roomier car with the G8 but you get more features with the V. Pick one and be happy.

Speedogomer
08-25-08, 10:13 PM
The V is a little bit more of a sleeper, the GXP a little more "shouty"... But both are great cars.

Like everyone else said, you'll be happy with either.

Test drive both, back to back.

I almost think I like the G8 GXP a little better, but its all subjective, I doubt either has a clear advantage in overall performace.

CadiBlk
08-25-08, 11:32 PM
I considered waiting for the Pontiac but I do not like the front end. If it looked like the Holden I may have waited it out.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj202/Civardi/holden.jpg

There is a guy on the ponti forum that bought the Holden nose and fit it on his g8, problem is that i am too lazy to find the link to the pix.

sleepys4
08-25-08, 11:42 PM
After looking into it I take back my previous statement. That is one Pontiac I wouldn't mind driving at all. Plus it has a ls3 which love the mods and a better rear end. decisions, decisions.

MOCTS-V
08-26-08, 12:05 AM
The G8 is nice but either way you look at it, its still a PONTIAC. The CTS-v is the sportiest 4dr you can bye at a resonable price. IMO. Performance wise the G8 is awesome but it looks like $hit compared to the CTS-V. I mean seriously test drive a CTS-v to the nearest Pontiac Dealer compare. I
m sure it will be an easy choice if you have an eye for style.

v10boost
08-26-08, 12:10 AM
Coming from BMW, I would stick with V. Quality of Cadi is very good but still not a BMW. I would think Pontiac would be even less than Cadi.

v10boost
08-26-08, 12:17 AM
For example, I have 2006 bmw 750li which I drove the crap out it for last 50k miles. Always used automatic car wash and never stop or slow down for bad roads, bumps, never warmed up the motor and even put 87gas when station was out of 93, but car still feels and looks like i just got it. now, if you want to talk about electrical problems in bmw is another story.

mcfaddens17
08-26-08, 12:36 AM
OMG, Did I just step into some crazy bizarro universe? Are you guys seriously comparing the "V" to a Pontiac? :cookoo: I'm sure the G8 may be an OK car, but jeez, it's not a "V", it's a Pontiac people. :stirpot:

vegasVowner
08-26-08, 01:08 AM
If I were in your position, I'd probably go with GXP. The extra $15,000 (or more?) you save could go for a lot of mods. You just gotta sacrifice "style", for a probably better overall deal on a proven chassis with a rear-end that might have worked out the bugs that plague us V owners.

Pure gearhead= GXP

Refined gearhead=04-07 CTS-V

09 CTS-v, whole nother story. I'll take the fastest production sedan on stock tires ever please!

GXP...VXR8 same thing so here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7z6DbKG2I

lollygagger8
08-26-08, 09:39 AM
I was actually looking at the G8's when I heard they were coming out. But then I found a V. Cadillac ride with all the luxury with Corvette drivetrain?? <- win/win. The GXP is about $10k - $15k more than what you can get a good used V for right now. I would describe the look of the G8/GXP's as a BMW with a pontiac front end. I would describe the V's as a streamlined arrow that doesn't really look like anything else. Ya, there's small issues with V's, but the G8's haven't been around long enough to find out their issues...yet. (GXP not even out yet)

Oh, and Bose > Blaupunkt....and 163mph > 150mph :thumbsup:

lollygagger8
08-26-08, 09:44 AM
All of this is coming from a G8 forum: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13858 So, of course they'll like the G8. and we'll like the CTS-V (badass)

whisler151
08-26-08, 10:33 AM
Can you get Nav in the G8?

CTSV_510
08-26-08, 10:43 AM
Can you get Nav in the G8?

I think I remember reading that there is no nav option.

terminal Velocity
08-26-08, 11:12 AM
I think I remember reading that there is no nav option.I believe that is for the first year only. I think where it would've been in the dash is too low for a nav per US regs...I believe...

terminal Velocity
08-26-08, 11:14 AM
The G8 is nice but either way you look at it, its still a PONTIAC. The CTS-v is the sportiest 4dr you can bye at a resonable price. IMO. Performance wise the G8 is awesome but it looks like compared to the CTS-V. I mean seriously test drive a CTS-v to the nearest Pontiac Dealer compare. I
m sure it will be an easy choice if you have an eye for style.Project much?

I think my V looks badass but that doesn't mean a Pontiac can't. The G8 looks pretty slick as well. And I have an eye for style.:duck:

urbanski
08-26-08, 11:15 AM
bose isnt > anything

terminal Velocity
08-26-08, 11:17 AM
Coming from BMW, I would stick with V. Quality of Cadi is very good but still not a BMW. I would think Pontiac would be even less than Cadi.Build quality is something GM has improved on universally across all of its lines. What you pay for is materials and cache. Drive a Solstice or a Malibu or even a Cobalt. Build quality is there...

ichpen
08-26-08, 11:39 AM
bose isnt > anything

Was about to say..

Bose > 8 track tape > couple of diet pepsi cans with some string

If you get a Pontiac, get the no navi option if such a thing exists. Take 1/2 your money, invest in a decent aftermarket double din unit.

urbanski
08-26-08, 11:46 AM
i dont think G8s have a nav option

MOCTS-V
08-26-08, 12:41 PM
i dont think G8s have a nav option

Factory Nav is a waist of money anyways. With the money you save you can purchase a way better Aline W505 with docking Blackbird.

atdeneve
08-26-08, 12:45 PM
bose isnt > anything

Was about to say..

Bose > 8 track tape > couple of diet pepsi cans with some string

If you get a Pontiac, get the no navi option if such a thing exists. Take 1/2 your money, invest in a decent aftermarket double din unit.

Double yep-a-roo! :yup:

lollygagger8
08-26-08, 12:46 PM
I'm not saying Bose is tha shit by any means.....but Blaupunkt?? :nono:

Civardi
08-26-08, 01:37 PM
GXP...VXR8 same thing so here ya go...

YouTube - Top Gear: Vauxhall VXR8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7z6DbKG2I)

They broke the rear diff when they were tossing it around the track.

lollygagger8
08-26-08, 02:55 PM
The link doesnt work...I wanna see that $hit

brotherv
08-26-08, 09:03 PM
WOW....

Lots of positive comments (I thought I would get a few flames) but there are some really good folks on this list!!!!:thumbsup:

A couple of comments:

- The current G8 has a sort-of-nav with the On-Star. On-Star will download the directions to the G8 and then give you turn by turn instructions. It is featured here in the R & T Review - [I tried to post it but because I am such a newbie the forum won't allow it]

- I know a few folks got confused because the thread grew but I am specifically comparing the G8 GXP (not the G8 GT) and the CTS-V. The CTS-V is a better deal in my opinion.

- The rear end issues with the CTS-V DO concern me because every once and I awhile I will be spinning the rears...I am pretty sure the G8 rear will have a Corvette rear like the Holden in OZ (or something strong enough to not cause wheel hop).

- The styling is definitely a per-person preference! I like them both but whenever the GXP shows up in person then I can really compare.

- The thing I can really get comfortable about is that this is NOT a new car (it has been for sale in OZ for years!) and I think most of the bugs have been worked out. If we were comparing the CTS-v 09 and the GXP then it isn't much of a contest (0-60 in 4.5 secs...DAYUM!)

- The prices of low milage good condition Vs are not that cheap (around mid to high 30s for 07s). With this new GM employee pricing, I think the price for the GXP vs. the V will be a wash.

- The final point...I HAVE TO DRIVE THEM BOTH!! Has anyone driven the G8 GT and compared it to their V???:stirpot:

Again...great group of folks and even better discussion!

Thanks!

helogene
08-26-08, 10:11 PM
Not sure where you live. We test drove an 06 CTS-V a few weeks ago in Phoenix. They had a G-8 on the lot, brand new. Bright RED exterior. BIGGEST PROBLEM....Only ONE COLOR interior...BLACK...LEATHER....PHOENIX....Not gonna end pretty....

I have had Two Impala SS's, have a couple of Caprice's, and ended up buying a CTS-V. Slightly smaller than those cars, BUT....FAST AND FUN!!!

vegasVowner
08-27-08, 12:57 AM
They broke the rear diff when they were tossing it around the track.

Gen 1 CTS-Vs are the fastest cars on earth.

Psssst.......link/proof/ SOMETHING or its just a random statement like the one I just said.

bguild
08-28-08, 10:22 AM
Guys,

I like the guy who commented on improved GM build quality across the lines. He's on point. I've been in multiple G8 GTs and this is not your typical Pontiac. For some reason, the Aussie built cars appear to be twice as nice build quality wise as what we get here from Pontiac. The doors close with a soft thud. A stainless steel ball bearing rolls down the trunk lid seam straight! :-)

Heck, I owned a 2001 GTP and I can tell you the doors on that car sagged slighly when the car was on a lift. And that is a four door! Seams are wide, and build quality on that car is clearly subpar.

These Holdens are nice vehicles, and have been proven. Someone said it before but this is not a new car, and shouldn't be compared as such. If you go with a G8 GXP you will be getting a car that is well sorted, and has a massive aftermarket already. $10k Twin turbo kit already in development by APS will easily get you to 500-600 whp. No stock Cadillac, even new CTS-V will compete for the money. Stock for stock, new CTS-V is going to blow it away.

Believe me I am a huge Cadillac fan, and they are doing great things that I am very excited about. But, let's not get too carried away saying Caddy build quality is better than G8. I think you are probably wrong about that. A US built GM is a US built GM, Pontiac or Cadillac.

Let's talk about nav and entertainment systems. A) in car nav makes no sense for so many reasons. I will only list a few

1) cost for the option is typically 5-10x that of a portable unit
2) portable unit can be moved from auto to auto, or taken on business trips
3) portable units are much more "software upgradable" generally. And, if you are good on the net, you do not have to pay for map or software upgrades.
4) portable unit can be fully replaced every 3 years for a few hundred dollars to get the latest and greatest technology (ie. live traffic, text to speech). For example, try to explain to me how you are going to get traffic updates on the Nav in a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE? Well, you are not. BTW, That nav was a $3k option in my wifes car. $3k down the toilet IMHO

B) entertainment systems

1) Blaupunkt is a nice unit in the G8 with clear crisp highs and good bass reponse. Stereo sounds excellent. Stereo sounds better than any recent Bose unit I have heard. My brother in law works for Bose in Framingham, MA. I understand Bose sources their components from Taiwan and China. Not too much of a surprise. BUT, what is a surprise is that the components in Bose units are typically cheap PAPER cones with proprietary enclosure designs to make them sound better. Low tech technology, high tech marketing budget. Bose has you folks all fooled. It's some of the cheapest crap out there, with a GOOD name. The typical US consumer doesn't take time to research their technology purchases. That's sad.

Best factory entertainment system these days is the Lexus Mark Levinson systems.

Aftermarket stereo manufacturers are hurting because of the poor economy and the fact that a good number of factory systems sound "good enough" for the general public. Look for modular components in the future. For example, GM will include a connector in their cars which is universal. Kind of like USB for cars. Buy a car with a universal connector, and select "optional" aftermarket tuner of your choice when car is ordered. Everything is plug and play. Same for nav. All you will get is a display screen. You select the plug and play unit. Wouldn't that be the greatest!! It's going to happen folks. The standards bodies are already been developed. The car of the future will be completely modular and customizable. For a current example, consider how many manufacturers integrated iPod connectivity into their factory offerings in only a couple of manufacturing cycles.

You'd all be better served to listen to the Blaupunkt system and judge for yourself. It beats Bose stuff hands down. I could go on for hours on this, but my rambling is already outside of the scope of this thread.

ba83
09-15-08, 01:15 PM
its a tough call
I am leaning towards the LS3 as far as mods are concerned but I havent seen the GXP in person so cant say,
Pontiac tends to destroy a perfectly good car by putting their own front end . Look at the GTO and G8 . they ruined the looks of the cars.

So to the talentless people at pontiac, if you cant make anything better , leave it as is

MONARO
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44818&stc=1&d=1221498587

GTO
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44819&stc=1&d=1221498587

VXR8
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44821&stc=1&d=1221498673
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44817&stc=1&d=1221498587

G8
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44820&stc=1&d=1221498673
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44822&stc=1&d=1221498732

SRCeaze8
09-15-08, 03:02 PM
I'd say the GXP!

Deuuuce
01-11-09, 04:29 AM
Old thread but now the test data is out for the GXP.

The 1st gen. CTS-V makes the GXP look irrelevant. The V has a nicer interior, weighs less, better brakes, better handling, more aggressively geared and bolt-ons away from the same rated hp.

Unless you must have the 6.2, the V is the way to go.

trukk
01-26-09, 04:06 PM
Old thread but now the test data is out for the GXP.

The 1st gen. CTS-V makes the GXP look irrelevant. The V has a nicer interior, weighs less, better brakes, better handling, more aggressively geared and bolt-ons away from the same rated hp.

Unless you must have the 6.2, the V is the way to go.

I'd say, unless you must have an Auto, go with the GXP. Both are nice though, I plan to take a look at the GXP as a possible replacement for my V as a daily driver.

-Chris

Deuuuce
01-27-09, 09:57 AM
What about the new V instead? :)

Rolex
01-28-09, 09:35 PM
What about the new V instead? :)

First post...not in his budget.

Deuuuce
01-29-09, 12:17 PM
First post...not in his budget.

Saving for 6 months plus 6 months of depreciation could do wonders.

Then again, if speed and refinement are priorities, a used E55/E63/M5 are excellent options.

As far as "American Built", the G8 only has 8% US/Canadian content, not much more than the Europeans.

inurok
08-17-09, 06:18 AM
GXP G8 all the way