: How fine is the "Platinum Edition" option ?

ROF08STS
08-25-08, 02:42 PM
Ocationally I see posts mentioning Plantium, can someone comment. It is the only option that I THINK I wish my blk/blk '08 1SC STS had. I asked my dealer to call me if one ever comes in. The '09 adds "alcantara" headliner w/ Platinum, has upgraded mats/sill plates/wood/chrome wheels etc., but for 6K$ there must be some wonderful over the top upgraded leather seats ?? My '08 has been fine, my only minor negative thoughts would be towards the rather spartan interior, is a no nonsence/minimal frills approach which is fine, just can't get Platinum out of my head.

Lord Cadillac
08-25-08, 03:27 PM
Sometimes the grille has more chrome as well... Not sure about the STS, however..

Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up!

Cliff8928
08-26-08, 02:33 AM
From the 2008 STS order guide.. The RPO code is W21

Platinum Edition, includes unique grille finish, (PD5)
18" (45.6 cm) chromed wheels, specific deck lid
emblem, (B18) Wood Trim Package, leather-wrapped
interior, premium floor mats, specific door sill plates,
(N31) heated steering wheel, (Q12) P235/50R18 front
and P255/45R18 rear, Michelin W-rated, all-season,
blackwall tires, (JE5) 4-wheel anti-lock performance
brakes and Tuscany full-leather seats
1 - Not available with (PCZ) Performance Handling
Package or any Fleet order types.

Benjamin Simon
08-26-08, 11:44 PM
You forgot to add $5000 of much needed profit...

Rather spartan? LOL, while I do agree the STS is no S Class, I am driving a grand prix rental.... It is just unbearable. Almost cruel.

jkviper
09-01-08, 12:11 AM
Ocationally I see posts mentioning Plantium, can someone comment. It is the only option that I THINK I wish my blk/blk '08 1SC STS had. I asked my dealer to call me if one ever comes in. The '09 adds "alcantara" headliner w/ Platinum, has upgraded mats/sill plates/wood/chrome wheels etc., but for 6K$ there must be some wonderful over the top upgraded leather seats ?? My '08 has been fine, my only minor negative thoughts would be towards the rather spartan interior, is a no nonsence/minimal frills approach which is fine, just can't get Platinum out of my head.

The platinum package is really nice.

The grill is the same grill as the standard grill with silver cross bars as well as the standard vertical silver bars.

The seats have softer leather called Tuscanciiy leather than the standard seats, really nice.

Nice chrome wheels, 9 spoke. In my opinion much better than the standard wheels or aluminum wheels on the 1SG package. Caddy

Leather wrapped dash top, door panel tops, and center console. Really nicely done with stichting. It amazes me that there is nothing about the platinum package on the web site.

The wood is burl wood with a lighter stain which also looks better than the standard wood.

ROF08STS
09-03-08, 07:55 AM
Thanks JKVIPER for the first hand accounting of Platinum ! As I suspected it is a big upgrade of the original interior, for 6K it would have to be, I suspect it has a strong "leather aroma" also? I would spend the $ for it unfortunately the dealer makes this option difficult to get as in: "never saw one" / "you don't need it" / "ins't worth the $ etc" , ( they need to move their stock) a customer would have to order the car and wait for delivery and be happy with the result as there would be no going back. Perhaps I can justify a change in two or so years, am comitted to the '08 financially now. Thanks again for your comments !

jkviper
09-04-08, 09:09 PM
Thanks JKVIPER for the first hand accounting of Platinum ! As I suspected it is a big upgrade of the original interior, for 6K it would have to be, I suspect it has a strong "leather aroma" also? I would spend the $ for it unfortunately the dealer makes this option difficult to get as in: "never saw one" / "you don't need it" / "ins't worth the $ etc" , ( they need to move their stock) a customer would have to order the car and wait for delivery and be happy with the result as there would be no going back. Perhaps I can justify a change in two or so years, am comitted to the '08 financially now. Thanks again for your comments !

I found a few platinum 08s left, They were AWD V8 models that the dealers were looking to move. I would have bought one if they were V8 RWD since I did not want to pay the gas guzzler tax and x-tra for AWD, plus reduced highway mileage. There were also two V6 Platinums around, but all in all they seem pretty rare.

I know the dealers want to push what is on the lot, but I find that Caddy dealers will order anything you want and will agree on $1000 over invoice. I bet some will even sell it at invoice if the MSRP is high enough. These dealers really want to move cars now a days and anything they can make a profit on they will agree to.

It takes about 8 weeks to order a car, not too bad and you get exactly what you want. That's normally the route I take so if you really want the platinum, that is what I would do.

The other thing you can do is call GM and they will look at the nationwide inventory and see what car is sitting where. I bet they can locate platinum editions for you. Then you have to choose the dealer to receive the car. Probably a bit more expensive since they may have to ship the car a considerable distance.

The good news about the GM search is that you are dealing with a customer service rep and not a sales person so they are just looking to help and locate what you want instead of talking you into or out of something.

Good luck!

PEAROB1
09-05-08, 05:37 AM
I just came back from the Boston area on a business trip and stopped in at a Caddy dealer on Sunday just to look around. There was an absolutely beautiful black '09 Platinum STS4 N* with all the bells and whistles on the lot. Sticker was 75K !

MARKVIII
09-05-08, 06:21 AM
And as soon as you drive out the door with the new 75k STS it drop to 55K.

c5 rv
09-05-08, 09:18 AM
And as soon as you drive out the door with the new 75k STS it drop to 55K.

Yep, that will make someone a real nice $30K CPO car in 2-3 years.

Zpak
09-05-08, 10:13 PM
That dealer in the Boston area is where I bought my Platinum AWD V8 , 4 mos ago with all the bells and whistles with enhanced stabilatrak for sticker of $77K !
The only difference with mine and that 09 and you're referring to is that doesn't have the enhanced stabilatrak.
I love my Platinum Ed. and have not had any complaints ..