: STS Battery Replacement

Aurora5000
08-25-08, 10:04 AM
As I found out last year with my wife's CTS, you cannot go to the local auto parts houses and buy an OTC battery for your CTS. The same holds true for the STS as I found out last week. The series of the battery is 101 for the STS. A dealer item only. They go for $178 and up depending on what dealer you talk to.

The parts houses will not sell you any sort of a replacement or try to fit something in of comperable quality saying "The incorrect battery was not made for that car and cannot warranty it." They are scared to even try.

I got in the yellow pages under "Batteries" and located a few businesses that stocked car batteries. I remember a place that my Dad used to buy Semi-truck batteries at. They looked it up in their books and came up with 101 as the replacement. They installed a battery of the same dimensions with the exception of the replacement battery being about 1/2 inch taller than GM DELCO coming out of the car. Had the same CCA as GM. Also the battery warehouse said, "It did not matter what car their battery went into, they would give the full warranty for it." Not sure of the series number of the battery they put in but it fit in with little problems. A tight fit but no problems. Even the hold down mount matched up on the replacement battery. Cost less than $70 with tax. It was the same on the CTS last year.

The new Gel Batteries-Optima, etc. are a line of thought for future replacement.

What else are other doing to solve their battery suitations?

Thanks,
Steve

:)

themightymezzo
08-25-08, 11:03 AM
From what I've been told the battery is actually covered under my Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. I have it for a few more years and about 50,000 more miles. If you have something like this you may want to look into it maybe GM will replace for free?

Aurora5000
08-26-08, 09:01 AM
From what I've been told the battery is actually covered under my Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. I have it for a few more years and about 50,000 more miles. If you have something like this you may want to look into it maybe GM will replace for free?

Thought of that but the GM Delco line IMHO is not that great to start with.
When it acted up, it was at home. I charged the battery and then located a suitable replacement. I was lucky to have that happen to me at home and not at a remote location with no help.:)

Let's hear from other folks and their solution... most everyone is going to have to deal with this...

Thanks

Superjim
08-26-08, 09:18 AM
Let's hear from other folks and their solution... most everyone is going to have to deal with this...

Thanks

Back in the early spring... Mine died in my garage. Called OnStar.

20/30 minutes later ... the Cadillac service truck was in my driveway.
He replaced battery... I signed the service order... No charge, of course, and all has been well since then.

Texas Jim

c5 rv
08-27-08, 10:37 AM
My SRX battery was replaced under warranty when it failed suddenly after having the car in for service. These Delco side-terminal batteries are notorious for breaking inside if someone over-tightens the terminal bolts.

Aurora5000
08-28-08, 10:50 AM
It a shame that GM still has problems with their batteries. You type in on Google "problems with GM Delco batteries and there is plenty to read.

sapien
09-01-08, 10:40 PM
my car has an Exide 75 battery in it, bought it from a Cadillac dealer that way (it came off a lease)... the only notable thing on the service record was that the OEM battery had been replaced twice! so somewhere along the way, someone stuck in a non-OEM one. maybe the 75-series is a bit undersized compared to the 101 but I haven't had any electrical problems or slow starts.

Aurora5000
09-02-08, 01:41 PM
So the 75 will work in the STS as a replacement?

sapien
09-02-08, 10:37 PM
well at least going by my case it seems that it does, and the date on my battery is March 2007.

Aurora5000
09-05-08, 10:49 AM
What replacement batteries does everyone else have?

Aurora5000
09-17-08, 08:43 AM
I finally checked to see what the number was on the replacement battery. It is a 78-72. Same dimensions as Delco, just 1/2 inch taller. It works fine.

Regulator
09-29-08, 09:38 AM
I can definately tell everyone that a group 78 n battery will NOT work in the STS. Even after removing the 1/4 of foam material on the battery shield, it is still 1/2" too tall.
I'll update on the 75 series later on.

Regulator
09-29-08, 02:59 PM
Update, the Group 75 is the same height as the Group 78....no good.
For you guys using a 75 or 78 battery, are you also using the battery cover?

jono6406
09-29-08, 04:07 PM
No replacement for me I'm still on my original battery.

Jono

Angus Young
09-29-08, 06:09 PM
I took the battery out of my 05 STS tossed it in the trunk of muh Lincoln and went to searz, walked the battery in and set it on the floor in front of the battery rack found exact match in the GOLD series cant remember what series it was 75 78 but Sears has em, but they do not list it in their books!! I called 3 Searz automotive locally and none of them showed it in their books. Dealer wants $189.99 for the Deadco I think I got the Diehard for $99.00. By the way 2 of the sales guys said it was probably the International series but it isnt.

z06bigbird
09-29-08, 11:56 PM
My cost for a 101 series was about $110 at a local dealer. (They give me a disc.) Many members have asked about a substitute battery. The closest in size is the 78 series. If I am correct on that, it is about 3/8 on an inch too high, but it is workable. If in doubt, ask any battery shop to show you this list of battery series. That list will show external dimensions on all batteries.

101 Series is alone in size.

Regulator
09-30-08, 10:04 AM
The 78 Series works if you do not install the battery cover. It is much too tall with the cover installed (even if you remove the foam on the backside of the cover.

$67 bucks at my local Sam's club for a 78n battery, 770CCA, which is much better than the OEM battery.

Regulator
09-30-08, 10:09 AM
One note to add was that the first time I changed the battery, my screen would not turn on...no radio or Nav....dead. Unhooked the positive terminal, waited 15 mins, hooked it back up and it works.

FYI, for those that think they blew up their nav unit while changing their battery.

Aurora5000
10-01-08, 09:22 AM
I use the plastic battery cover. The 78-72 works fine. It also looks like others use a form of the 78 battery too and they seem to work. Regulator, sorry w/ your battery problems...

Regulator
10-01-08, 10:25 AM
No worries, I am good now. I would check the lines of your hood to make sure it is closing fully and not hitting against the battery. Even though my hood would close with the battery cover installed, you could feel that the hood was being propped up by the too high battery.

ahuyghe
10-01-08, 06:47 PM
My battery packed it in over the winter also while the car (07 Cadillac STS 4) was stored in my heated garage. Called GM Roadside assistance, They Towed it to the dealership and the dealership replaced it. It was also very nice of them to scratch the hell out of the Engine cover whilst in the process of changing the battery. It looks like they placed the battery on the engine cover and then dragged it over toward the battery tray location. Oh yea, they also forgot to replace the retainers that hold down the plastic cover infront of the battery. Nice.... very nice! Any way. Got a new battery, but am reminded of it every time i open the hood. %^$@^ :rant2: :mad:

Al

2007 Cadillac STS 4
Etc...
etc...

jono6406
10-06-08, 10:55 PM
It was time to make a little noise.:want:

Jono

MGD
10-12-11, 01:48 PM
Yup, I just had the same battery prob and a DieHard Gold Car Battery, Group Size 78 worked out and fits fine. No hood bulge. Only thing I noticed after the install is that Auto Up windows only works for the passenger front window now, and not the other 3. I checked the Config menus to see if something had been reset, and didn't find anything related to Auto Up windows. Anyone know what that's about??

nathanjax
10-12-11, 01:58 PM
Only thing I noticed after the install is that Auto Up windows only works for the passenger front window now, and not the other 3. I checked the Config menus to see if something had been reset, and didn't find anything related to Auto Up windows. Anyone know what that's about??

They need to be re-programed. It explains it and how to do it in the manual.

MGD
10-12-11, 02:40 PM
They need to be re-programed. It explains it and how to do it in the manual.

Ok, thanks!

Kadillac Kreem
10-12-11, 09:32 PM
I have a question, For a Cadillac STS 05 V8. Say the batter dies okay what happens to the computer, do you have to reprogram anything like the key fob ? I want all details people, thank you.

EChas3
10-12-11, 09:49 PM
Everything is fine except the Express Windows! They are very easy to program; a few seconds.

turnne
10-14-11, 06:21 AM
I bought an over the counter battery for 2005 1SG AWD at Advance Auto parts...perfect swap

like $180 or so..as I recall....like a 7 year prorated warranty on it

Warren

Subsailor613
10-14-11, 12:48 PM
Just traveled 550 Miles and let the car sit overnight,the next day,
Click, Click, Click. Battery DEAD, charged the battery 8 or 9 hours,
tried to start, Click again.
Called, Auto-Zone, Advance, and Car Quest, the two A's wanted 166.95
The Car Quest wanted 189.00. I got the 8 year one for 166.95+ tax=177.XX
It was the Group 101 size, it looked exactly like the one that came out.
Used the A's as they are around my home also, for Warranty purposes.
If you play your radio , while your are waxing or fixing your car, and the
battery goes dead, you are on the way to letting your battery strand you.
It is a 650 CCA battery, and the radio is transistorized, and draws very little.
I did'nt know how old my original battery was, the sides were pushing outward,
I suspect it was the original from 2005, lasted over 6 years ! GREAT !
Br Smart, Be aware !
Take Care ! :patriot::patriot::patriot:

jedhead
10-15-11, 04:23 AM
I replaced my battery with a Optima Red Top 78 for $120

Bob

BaTu
10-15-11, 10:22 AM
I replaced my battery with a Optima Red Top 78 for $120

Bob

Recently? The Optimas seem to have gone way up lately.... Last year I bought Yellow Tops for my truck for that. I'd like to find a Red 78 for my '05 and they look like I'd be lucky to find one under $150 :( (Advanced with a coupon)

Costco used to be like $130 but, haven't seem them there for a year or more.

jedhead
10-16-11, 04:03 AM
Recently? The Optimas seem to have gone way up lately.... Last year I bought Yellow Tops for my truck for that. I'd like to find a Red 78 for my '05 and they look like I'd be lucky to find one under $150 :( (Advanced with a coupon)

Costco used to be like $130 but, haven't seem them there for a year or more.

When I inquired about the RedTop, the store manager quoted me $120 after looking at the shelf behind the counter. When he pulled the battery off the shelf and scanned it, the battery rang up $149. He gave me the shelf price of $120.

Bob

CADDYBLACK99
11-18-11, 12:21 PM
I will suggest the Sears Gold series DieHard size 78 (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02833078000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6). There is a minor fit issue but it will be greatly reduced if you cut the sliding battery handle off the new battery. The cover fits fine after that and no hood clearance issues that I can see. Just under $100 installed. Alternator and starter are 100% ok, battery was shot (original batt born 5/2005) I feel that a 6 yr old battery in this power thirsty high tech STS was remarkable!

PzNuts
07-19-12, 07:54 AM
Great suggestion. The Die Hard 78 fits just fine!

1harleyman
07-21-12, 10:33 PM
Question, does your '05 have a push button start, and did you have to have the fob reprogramed when you replaced the battery? just wondering about replacing mine in my '06

JGarten
07-21-12, 11:01 PM
I have this very battery in my '05 w/push-button start (don't all 2005+ have it?). Replaced it myself. No reprogramming of anything required. You do have to remove the plastic carry handle. Easy-peasy. No issues at all.

EChas3
07-21-12, 11:18 PM
I just installed an Optima 78 (special model with top posts deleted). Prior to doing so, I plugged in a little rechargable compressor so that I wouldn't set off the alarm or lose the express window settings. (Nothing else should be lost.)

The STS keyless start is standard equipment.

willysmooo
07-26-13, 07:18 PM
I need to replace my battery...is it a pain the take the cover etc off? Anything I should know about? I'm just getting one from my local used parts place for 34 bucks. I'm not buying a new one with my miles

aliskerov
07-29-13, 08:20 PM
Just to add my 2 cents - I recently installed the 78 series Yellow Top Optima on my 2005 STS. The only issue I see some of you having is the stock hood - I had mine swapped for an STS-V one (with insulation removed). The two posts at the top of the battery could theoretically touch the aluminum hoods that are the stock STS hoods and short out, which would be pretty tragic, so DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. Since the STS-V hoods are fiberglass I don't have that issue. But, depending on the stock hood clearance you could potentially rock an optima 78 series. One member mentioned getting one with the top post removed. I couldn't find it, but sounds like they might be out there. Good luck, guys!

EChas3
08-01-13, 04:14 PM
They make a 78-series w/o top posts in the Red Top. I haven't seen one for the Yellow.

Subsailor613
08-02-13, 04:36 PM
I wanted to be able to remove the battery cover , without removing the cables.
I got the cover off and slotted the area under the terminals, about 2" wide,
all the way down to the bottom, NOW, i can pull the battery cover without,
disconnecting the battery cables.
Yes, you can do this, with razor a knife, and/or a sheet metal cutter, then
trim it better, after you remove it !
Happy motoring.

willysmooo
08-12-13, 09:31 PM
I found out I could just slide the cover out of the way and change batteries. I buy used parts as much as possible(have a local salvage place that gets wrecked Cadillacs etc. all the time w/ basically no miles on them . So I swapped my AC delco with a battery from a wrecked car($45 bucks) vs $190 for a new one...this is a tad taller than the delco but it actually fits snugger and better with the cover(side posts) Than the AC delco. I must say. I am always amazed that when I disconnect my battery for anything I do, it always seems to reset all the systems and drive better...magnetic ride, steering...etc

JulesW
08-31-13, 10:10 PM
While this thread was ultimately a lifesaver, I still took waaaay too long researching. The reason is because I simply could not figure out how a battery that is 7.25 inches wide was possibly going to fit into the less than 7 inch wide slot where the old one was.
To further add to my skepticism, someone had asked Walmart if the 78N would fit their Caddy, and the answer given on their web page was absolutely no. The same information was on the Sears web site.
Alas, for anyone who has the same question, I eventually read somewhere that the width measurement includes the terminal protrusions. Feeling more confident I therefore loaded my dead OEM battery on the back of my bicycle and made the trip to Walmart. My understanding is that their 78N not only has better specs but that it rated very highly by Consumer Reports. Combined with a far better price it is clearly the more sensible choice.
When I arrived I verified that the width and length differ by imperceptible amounts, and sure enough it fit my Caddy like a glove. I did not cut off the carrying strap (just in case the battery had a problem) but still managed to fit the cover on, tucking it tightly under the cowling. With the terminals connected it is not going anywhere. Car started and all is right with the world.
Bottom line...trust what is being said here. The 78s fit just fine.

John Oakville
11-24-13, 09:52 PM
Just got a new battery from Walmart for my 2008 STS V8. Equivalent stated by Walmart manufacture. $120 plus tax in Canada. EverStart Battery Maxx-H6. Same battery post positions (top), same physical dimensions +/- 5mm at a guess. Fits no problem.

wake
11-24-13, 10:56 PM
trust what is being said here. The 78s fit just fine.

Not quite that simple, it all depends on the battery.

I have put a group 78 in my STS temporarily and it did fit. I also use a group 78 (group 75 stock) in my Corvette and depending on which manufacturer it comes from it may or may not fit. Some appear to be just a hair taller than others. An Optima fit in my Vette while a Diehard AGM did not, just barely too tall by 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.

Group 78 is a standard size class but not necessarily exacting in dimensions and it works fine when you replace a stock battery size for stock battery size as they all have some gap around them for the slight differences in manufacturer sizing. When it comes time to replace the stock size in my STS I'll be taking a tape measure to the store to check the height of a replacement.

Subsailor613
11-25-13, 12:23 PM
Got mine from O'Reillys, Works Great.
For another STS I got it from Auto Zone or Advance, I forget.
Happy Motoring

mihamilt
03-31-14, 06:17 PM
I hear every one talking about how they replaced their batteries, has any one had reprogramming problems?
I have a 2006 STS with the push button start, must have the fob in car to start. I was told that once you disconnect the battery terminals
from he battery the ECM dumps all data and your key fob will fail to work. So not only are you replacing the battery but you have to reprogram the keyfob to work also. Thats why they have thae battery as a dealer item only. Is this true?

fester46581
03-31-14, 07:56 PM
No. I replaced mine in a parking lot without any issues.

EChas3
03-31-14, 09:23 PM
Some dealer feeding you stories?

Optima makes a Type 78 variant without top posts that is just a bit snug in the STS's in my garage. I like it.

There is no truth to that tale. Even if... with a decent battery and the mechanical key, all you need to match fob's is something to keep you from getting bored while the car counts down from 10, three times.