: Driver's door no longer auto unlocks

LuvMyV8
08-25-08, 09:12 AM
I'd had a problem with my remote a few months ago (it locked the door with the keys inside, even though it had beeped to tell me the keys were there). Recently, it quit unlocking the driver's door when I approached, but it will still unlock the passenger door if I approach from that side.

I replaced the battery, assuming it must be getting low. It still will not unlock the driver's door, so I'm having to hit the unlock button each time.

I know this sounds crazy, but I just had the front bumper removed and repainted, and I noticed it not working for the first time when I picked it up from the body shop. Where is the sensor located? Is it possible that while removing or replacing the bumper, they could have bumped something?

I would think that it isn't related to the body work, but just thought I'd mention it.

jono6406
08-25-08, 10:35 AM
Is it still under warranty.If it is then bring it back to the dealer.

Jono

dkozloski
08-25-08, 11:08 AM
There have been several reports of the door not unlocking that was a bad switch on the door handle. Do some forum searches.

LuvMyV8
08-25-08, 11:10 AM
It isn't under warranty.

LuvMyV8
08-25-08, 11:24 AM
Thanks - I found a few threads.

I also just remembered that I had paintless dent removal done at the same time, and one dent was in the driver door, about two inches from the handle, in the crease. Again, not sure if that means anything, but maybe I should check it out. From what I understand, they drill a small hole and use little rods to roll the dents smooth.

LuvMyV8
01-10-09, 09:48 PM
Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for the driver's door?

pgw85706
02-16-09, 08:25 AM
I have this problem on my 05 STS that the passive unlock on the driver door no longer functions. Passenger door passive unlock functions as normal. Dealer diagnosed the problem and pulled code B3119 (fault in door handle antenna used to detect fob). The quoted repair consists of door handle replacement which requires painting to match for total cost of $280. Has anyone performed this repair and have the instructions?

ifmracin
02-16-09, 11:12 PM
Mine has this issue sometimes too, but i think i have it narrowed down to when it happens.
If i walk up to the passenger door and unlock from that one, then go over to the driver, it won't let me in......maybe it thinks i'm trying to jack the car?

pgw85706
02-17-09, 05:38 PM
Is the only method available to correct this problem require replacement of the handle?

STScaddyman65
02-18-09, 06:56 PM
I am having intermittent problems with mine just recently too. It will not let me in the drivers side at times. I wondered about the battery too! Today it worked fine. Yesterday it did not! OK, now what? I spoke to the guys in the mechanical repair in General Assembly yesterday and I'll get you guys more info to you after I fix mine. Bottom line was.... if your passenger side door works properly but you have to open the drivers door with the key, probably one of two micro switches in the door handle is broken or almost broken.
I plan on dealing with my issue by using my key until I see fit to replace the door handle, ie... finances and such. The guys said they would walk me through the process to replace it, it sounds like a bit of work but not impossible......, since mine is out of warranty.
I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

ifmracin
02-23-09, 10:50 PM
Ok, now i had definate issues with this today, three tmes i had to open the door from the inside. Guess i'll put the key on my keychain until i can get it fixed.

So....which parts are all needed?
I went to gmpartsdirect and there are more parts than just an entire assembly.

jimbohenson
02-24-09, 12:48 AM
I have had to replace both the drivers and passengers for that same reason. Both under warranty.

TimmyC
02-25-09, 12:04 AM
Mine did the same thing on both sides. Neither one worked at all. I replaced the inner part of the outer door handles and it fixed the problem.

19120307 for the Right handle "Housing"
19120306 for the Left.

The price from GMpartsdirect. com is about $160 with shipping.

pgw85706
02-25-09, 08:09 AM
Good feedback. Can you briefly describe how to replace the inner part of the outer door handle? Disassembly, installation, reassembly, etc. Thanks alot for sharing your success.

Patrick

ascariSTS
02-25-09, 04:33 PM
Are you sure you that the "Keyless door unlock" option is not off ?

pgw85706
02-25-09, 05:50 PM
Good question. Yes I have confirmed. Plus the fact the passenger door functions properly.

TimmyC
02-26-09, 12:58 AM
Good feedback. Can you briefly describe how to replace the inner part of the outer door handle? Disassembly, installation, reassembly, etc. Thanks alot for sharing your success.

Patrick

Sure. Remove door panel. There are two screws under a leather flap behind the hand hold in the arm rest and one behind the plastic panel behind the inside door handle. Take those out and pry the door panel from the bottom to get it loose.

You'll be able to see that the door handle has a wire connection that has to be undone. Undo the antenna connection in there too. The drivers side also has the mechanical release rod that has to be unciipped from the door latch. There is one screw behind a plug on the rear part of the door (not the inside of the door, the rear part). Remove that and lift the door handle a bit. You can wiggle the lock cylinder cover out with the door handle half lifted. Then put your hand inside the door and work the handle action from inside. Hold that down and wiggle the door handle out from the outside. You have to pull it towards you and then slide it back. Once the back of the handle is free you can get it the rest of the way out. Then there's just one more screw and it's out.

I have a couple service manual pages I can scan in tomorrow at work. I'll attach those. It's pretty easy to do.

TimmyC
02-26-09, 12:30 PM
I must have chucked the manual pages I had but I took some pictures of the replacement door handle in case that helps.

http://i42.tinypic.com/qyg28w.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/v3dr49.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2zokdat.jpg

pgw85706
02-26-09, 01:36 PM
Thank you Timmy C. for the description and I look forward to the scanned service manual pages.

I am still a little unclear which part you actually replaced. I went to the gmpartsdirect website and looked up the part number you identified but there is no picture. Also at rockauto.com they show a connector as the only replaceable part available.

Did you replace the external door handle? If so, did you have to arrange for painting to match the vehicle color. I am sure the service manual pages will help a lot to clarify things.

Thanks again, I am very eager to make this repair on my wife's car and your input is most helpful.

Patrick

TimmyC
02-26-09, 05:26 PM
The part numbers I provided are for the inner housing, the right side one pictured in my first two pics. It wasn't easy to find the right part with no pictures. The last pic is what the outer door handle looks like when it is installed outside of the door. The door skin goes between the inner and outer handle.

I can't find those pages anymore but I'm going to install the part tonight so I'll take some pictures of that.

Edit: I should say that I've already done the driver's side and it solved the problem. I wasn't sure I had ordered the correct part so I only got one at a time. They are special order with no returns.

pgw85706
02-27-09, 08:58 AM
Thank you Mr. C.....a picture is worth a 1000 words. I fully understand now what is going on. Kudos on your fine work to execute the repair and share your knowledge. With the details you provide, I am confident to take on this task and save me $300 at the dealer.

May I ask a favor.....instead of referring as "right" side and "left" side, can you identify as "passenger" side and "driver" side. It would help to eliminate any confusion from the readers reference point. Thanks much.

Can you identify which part is driver side?
19120306 for the Left.

Pat

TimmyC
02-27-09, 11:17 AM
Thank you Mr. C.....a picture is worth a 1000 words. I fully understand now what is going on. Kudos on your fine work to execute the repair and share your knowledge. With the details you provide, I am confident to take on this task and save me $300 at the dealer.

May I ask a favor.....instead of referring as "right" side and "left" side, can you identify as "passenger" side and "driver" side. It would help to eliminate any confusion from the readers reference point. Thanks much.

Can you identify which part is driver side?
19120306 for the Left.

Pat

Left is the driver's side.

http://i41.tinypic.com/9k4cua.jpg
Inner door handle cable. Use a pliers to squeeze the tabs on the end of the sheath and release it from the plastic retainer on the door panel.

http://i40.tinypic.com/6z2c85.jpg
Then pivot the cable and lift it out

http://i41.tinypic.com/2evz3t2.jpg
Unplug the antenna inside the door

http://i39.tinypic.com/30u7cdj.jpg
Unplug the other connection here

http://i43.tinypic.com/6i67eu.jpg
Remove this plug

http://i41.tinypic.com/p4ppg.jpg
Remove the hard-to-see screw behind that plug

http://i40.tinypic.com/2eoutsj.jpg
Lift the handle and remove the back cover

http://i42.tinypic.com/2itq361.jpg
Reach inside and hold the action down, then pull the handle towards the rear and lift it out.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2v169ac.jpg
Remove the other screw and remove the inner housing. Note the two microswitches behind the rectangle opening in this picture. They are the problem. Mine were all corroded and didn't work.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2mnn6sn.jpg
This picture shows the piece of electric tape I put over the switches to prevent damage when sliding the handle back in. The switches wanted to fold over sideways no matter how careful I was. The handle works fine with this tape installed.

Reverse above steps to reinstall handle. Test the new handle before putting everything back together.

pgw85706
03-01-09, 11:09 AM
Sure. Remove door panel. There are two screws under a leather flap behind the hand hold in the arm rest and one behind the plastic panel behind the inside door handle. Take those out and pry the door panel from the bottom to get it loose.

I inspected the door panel to scope the project, but I am stumped by this first step to remove the door panel screws. I cannot locate the "leather flap behind the hand hold in the arm rest and one behind the plastic panel behind the inside door handle". There is no leather flap and there is no screw behind the plastic panel inside the door handle. My STS is a '05.

Patrick

TimmyC
03-01-09, 09:34 PM
It's there. The leather part of the upper door panel dips down behind the hand pull. Stick a screw driver under the bottom edge and pry it out. It's not attached to anything down there and it is meant to swing up so you can get to the screws.

Jesda
03-02-09, 04:50 AM
Thanks Timmy!

suumz
03-03-09, 04:23 AM
If you haven't already figured out how to get the door panel off, here's the manual info that supports exactly what Timmy said. The special tool listed in step 5 isn't really needed, a small prybar or large flat screwdriver will work fine.

1. Lower the window

2. Remove the door bezel trim cover.

3. Insert a flat-bladed tool at the bottom of the trim cover flap and pry up to access the screws.

4. Remove the door trim panel screws.

5. Use the J 36796 to release the retainers (1) from around the outside edges of the door trim panel.
6. Slide the door trim panel upwards to release it from the door.
7. Disconnect the door handle cables.

ifmracin
03-04-09, 11:59 AM
Thank you for the help.
I just ordered my replacement part. $74

pgw85706
03-04-09, 07:51 PM
Excellent information and guidance. I think I have all the instruction I need. I just now need to get this task to the top of my to-do list.

IFMRACIN......let us know how it goes. Post pics to build on this excellent thread.

Patrick

Neutrocuted
03-14-11, 02:03 PM
Thanks Timmy!

This is exactly what I needed to give me the confidence to do this project!

Jerry

TimmyC
03-16-11, 12:40 AM
Glad I could help.

Neutrocuted
03-16-11, 10:47 PM
The pic showing the taped down switches is not clear and I can't make out where the tape goes. Also, do you leave the tape there or remove it after the handle is installed?

Neutrocuted
03-17-11, 09:21 PM
I just received the part today and it all makes sense now, except for the tape part. I guess I understand that the micro switches need to be depressed in order to get the switch activating part of the door handle over them as you slide the handle forward to operating position.

Also, I didn't immediately recognize that your pictures are showing the passenger side handle. I will be doing the driver side which includes the key linkage. I have a few GM Repair Manual pics that show how to disconnect the linkage. I'll take some pics to see if I can help this thread with the other side... the dark side!! lol!

Platinum06
03-21-11, 11:05 AM
What happened in my situation was the drives door handle unlocked all the doors but didn't open the door. Called dealer for appointment and they said use your key to get in on that door till you get it here. Had been told they might have to replace the handle which i had the chrome after market covers on but for some reason they didn't.
So I made it out of there realitively painless with the same handle but now working like it should.
Also had the "shift to park" message pop up time to time... so they readjusted the linkage from what was on my sheet.

Good luck with your fix. Keep us updated.

Neutrocuted
03-22-11, 12:28 PM
...I guess I understand that the micro switches need to be depressed in order to get the switch activating part of the door handle over them as you slide the handle forward to operating position.

MAN, WAS I PISSED!!!
Well... I guess I didn't have it clear enough in my hard head because I thought that I could get the handle on without using a method to hold down the switches and broke one of the tips off one of the switches. Time for another one. The switches are modular, epoxied together and FRAGILE.

It was a nice (but expensive) practice run, I can now do it with my eyes closed (practically!lol!)

There were a few things that slowed me down that I have resolutions for and will include pics and explanations on the next try:
1. disconnecting the key linkage rod from the locking mechanism (without breaking it)
2. re-installing the outside handle
3. re-installing the outside handle without breaking the switches
4. testing the old switches (continuity tests discovered that, in fact, 1 of the 2 switches no longer worked. They are "normally open".)
5. getting the inside door handle cable disconnected (scratched up my tinted window while dancing with the panel)
6. re-installing the outside lock cover

At this time I do not know if the antenna is OK or not. Do any of you guys know how to test it?

I'll be back!

FranchiseSTS
04-17-11, 08:01 PM
MAN, WAS I PISSED!!!
Well... I guess I didn't have it clear enough in my hard head because I thought that I could get the handle on without using a method to hold down the switches and broke one of the tips off one of the switches. Time for another one. The switches are modular, epoxied together and FRAGILE.

It was a nice (but expensive) practice run, I can now do it with my eyes closed (practically!lol!)

There were a few things that slowed me down that I have resolutions for and will include pics and explanations on the next try:
1. disconnecting the key linkage rod from the locking mechanism (without breaking it)
2. re-installing the outside handle
3. re-installing the outside handle without breaking the switches
4. testing the old switches (continuity tests discovered that, in fact, 1 of the 2 switches no longer worked. They are "normally open".)
5. getting the inside door handle cable disconnected (scratched up my tinted window while dancing with the panel)
6. re-installing the outside lock cover

At this time I do not know if the antenna is OK or not. Do any of you guys know how to test it?

I'll be back!

Hey,

Just purchased my Caddy 2 weeks ago and realize I have the same issue. With all the great pics and tips I think I can pull this off. Was just wondering how your install went and if you took pics of your install so I don't do the same thing.

Hope your install went well.

Thanks

Neutrocuted
04-19-11, 09:44 AM
The install went as planned and my door and other things are working as they are suppose to, in fact, better! I am composing my addition to this post now and mean for it to be an addendum to it because I'll be covering the driver side door.

The hardest parts were getting the door panel and rain guard off without tearing them up, and disconnecting the linkage, IMHO. They're not that hard so the rest is really quite simple when you know how in advance.

If you can't wait until then, PM me and I think I'll be able to help you out. But buy the part before you PM me. The part name and number for the left door is "Housing K" P/N 19120306. Expect to pay online around $80 to $90.

FranchiseSTS
04-20-11, 08:42 PM
The install went as planned and my door and other things are working as they are suppose to, in fact, better! I am composing my addition to this post now and mean for it to be an addendum to it because I'll be covering the driver side door.

The hardest parts were getting the door panel and rain guard off without tearing them up, and disconnecting the linkage, IMHO. They're not that hard so the rest is really quite simple when you know how in advance.

If you can't wait until then, PM me and I think I'll be able to help you out. But buy the part before you PM me. The part name and number for the left door is "Housing K" P/N 19120306. Expect to pay online around $80 to $90.

Thanks for the advice and I'm glad you were able to get the job done. I just got my new key fobs today and if that isn't the solution, which i highly doubt it will, I'll be ordering that part to install.

I will def PM you if that comes before you make your post. I appreciate the help.

Neutrocuted
04-22-11, 12:25 PM
I decided to start a new thread pertaining specifically to the replacement of the left door micro switches for easier searching. Should be up some time this week-end. It's kind of lenghthy so I might do a brief edition for the forum and offer to e-mail the detailed info. I'll see how the post goes, especially since it's my first how-to.

Neutrocuted
04-25-11, 07:44 AM
For the link to the "how-to" CLICK HERE! (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/228338-drivers-door-micro-switch-replacement-how.html)