: Head gasket progress/ performance?

BIGGUN
06-12-04, 08:07 PM
Time-serts are in and heads are true on 96 Eldo N*.

EGR passages cleaned.

I'm looking at the throttle body screen thinking about pulling it out. Will that hurt or help performance?

I'm also staring into the end of my cat thinking how nice it would be to jam a pry bar into it and hollow it out.....again, will this hurt or help performance?

Will either of these set off codes? I live in a PA where you're not permitted to get emmissions or inspection stickers with codes on the OBD-II.

Anything else I should do?????

Thanks,
Kevin

Ranger
06-12-04, 08:40 PM
I believe that "screen" is not a screen but a flow director. I think I remember Bbob saying you won't gain anything by removing it but may get false MAF readings and thereby degraded performance by removing it. I would say you are better off leaving it where it is rather than trying to reengineer it. It was put there for a reason, though it may not be obvious to us.

eldorado1
06-12-04, 09:14 PM
Time-serts are in and heads are true on 96 Eldo N*.

EGR passages cleaned.

I'm looking at the throttle body screen thinking about pulling it out. Will that hurt or help performance?

I'm also staring into the end of my cat thinking how nice it would be to jam a pry bar into it and hollow it out.....again, will this hurt or help performance?

Will either of these set off codes? I live in a PA where you're not permitted to get emmissions or inspection stickers with codes on the OBD-II.

Anything else I should do?????

Thanks,
Kevin
The screen is in the MAF to produce laminar flow. You do not want to remove it unless you like a crappy idle and potentially damaging lean-conditions. Hollowing out the cat will gain you (some) performance, but you will no longer pass emissions... and I believe the N* does set a code if the cat isn't functioning normally (correct me if I'm wrong)

zonie77
06-13-04, 11:59 PM
OBD2 has the rear O2 sensors to monitor the cat. If you hollow it out it should give you a code. It's not worth it. A high flow cat, or even a new cat, would make more sense but you only pick up a few HP over a cat in good condition. If your cat is clogging up you do gain more.

BeelzeBob
06-14-04, 11:29 AM
Yea, good info here....

You will definitely get "catalyst inop" codes if you hollow it out on an OBD2 car. It really isn't worth the effort to hollow it out. The cat costs very little HP and obviously makes a huge difference keeping the air clean so there is really not that much at all to gain. Go with a cat-back exhaust system if you are looking for the performance...that is worth much more than gutting the cat.

The screen is a flow straightener so that the MAF sees laminar flow for the best accuracy. I would recommend leaving it in place. Once again, unless you have the engine on an engine dyno you could never tell the difference (fractional HP) with it removed and removing it will cause erroneous air flow rate readings by the MAF that could cause you driveability issues.

Aurora By Olds
06-14-04, 08:03 PM
Gutting the cat with stock exhaust is just annoying anyways.
It gives a bit of a hollow sound at idle which sounds kinda cool, but that's about it.
Gets kind of annoying after a while, much like the intake noise from a CAI.

BIGGUN
06-14-04, 11:30 PM
OK no mods as this thing keeps bleeding me.
Check out what happened with my new bolts.( another post)

Thanks for the input,
Kevin