: Loctite Red Gel REMOVAL!!!!!

mikelawson
08-23-08, 09:45 PM
This is going to sound crazy, but I was installing the inserts in the block I had just prepped using the new and improved :devil: loctite red gel. As I have done in the past (using red liquid) I screwed the inserts even with the block and was going to go back and use the insert tool to drive them the rest of the way down, but to my surprise this stuff had already setup. I was able to drive down most of them, but I have two that I cannot get out. They are even with the block and I have nothing to grab on to. I was thinking of a reverse thread 11X1.5 bolt and heating the bolt as to not warp the block. Any other ideas and where am I going to find a reverse thread bolt???

Thanks, Mike.

zonie77
08-23-08, 10:01 PM
I haven't used that yet. I'll just say that if you don't get an answer call Loctite and see what they say.

jeffrsmith
08-23-08, 10:01 PM
What inserts are you using? Couldn't you just heat the insert with a small butane torch, one of the small pencil types, and just continue to drive the insert home?

Ranger
08-23-08, 11:14 PM
I'd think heat will do the trick, but maybe this will help.
http://www.type2.com/library/chemicals/loctite.htm

Villanous
09-10-08, 08:29 AM
When removing bolts or fasteners that have had loctite used on them many times heat will do the job.

AJxtcman
09-12-08, 09:14 PM
This is going to sound crazy, but I was installing the inserts in the block I had just prepped using the new and improved :devil: loctite red gel. As I have done in the past (using red liquid) I screwed the inserts even with the block and was going to go back and use the insert tool to drive them the rest of the way down, but to my surprise this stuff had already setup. I was able to drive down most of them, but I have two that I cannot get out. They are even with the block and I have nothing to grab on to. I was thinking of a reverse thread 11X1.5 bolt and heating the bolt as to not warp the block. Any other ideas and where am I going to find a reverse thread bolt???

Thanks, Mike.

I do then one at a time.

Next

I clean the holes out in the block with Acrysolve or adhesive remover.
I do this when a block is good and doesn't need TimeSerts. You have to get that crap out of the holes before installing the new bolts.

Villanous
09-13-08, 08:45 PM
When installing bolting it is good practice to chase the holes with a bolt to make sure they will thread in with no issues.

AJxtcman
09-13-08, 10:57 PM
When installing bolting it is good practice to chase the holes with a bolt to make sure they will thread in with no issues.

I use adhesive remover in the holes when I chase/clean them out

Villanous
09-14-08, 12:47 AM
I agree with that , use a solvent or a solution to soften any crap in the threads.

I would suggest using a bolt to chase the holes since the material is aluminum chances are the bolt wont cut new threads as opposed to a tap. Not that it happens all the time but taps can be prolematic if they cut new threads upon threads.

Granted this really only applies to applications where you are reusing bolting that has a specific stretch and the threads in the hole share the same stretch. Sometimes I deal with an engineer that wont let us tap holes for that reason.