: 2005 STS bright headlights issue

wisslerjoe
08-23-08, 02:24 AM
I purchased a CPO 2005 STS, in Kansas City. Got home to Des Moines Iowa and finally after driving at night, I find I cannot get the bright headlights to come on. The blue indicator light on the dash, shows the bright lights (indicator comes on), but the bulbs do not light up. I have tried everything I can think of as far as the switches and auto on and off to see if I am missing something. My CPO inspection shows they work. Is it possible that both bulbs are burnt out or am I missing something? KC dealer said to take it to my local caddy dealer and it won't cost anything, but wouldn't a headlight bulb be a wear part and not be covered? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Btw, this is the baddest car I have ever owned. Beats my 74 Firebird by a mile.. Love this car, just would like my bright lights to work..

Thanks...

AllWheelEric
08-23-08, 10:45 AM
Are you still under the original mfr warranty? If so, that is a warranty issue, even if it is the bulbs, so don't sweat it. take it to the nearest dealer.

C&C
08-23-08, 01:27 PM
This may be totally off base but if you have the sentinel headlights they go straight to highbeam unless you have oncoming traffic. (could it be you just not noticing the change in intensity) Just saying. (not an expert by any stretch; just remember reading something to this effect)

pjbizjak
08-23-08, 04:50 PM
When the bright lights come on the HID headlamps go off, this is quite a let down going from HID to Halogen. Try this, turn off your auto high beam, turn the headlight lever from auto to headlights, put car in garage or facing a wall, then push the lever forward to he high beam setting and see if you can see the lights switch from HID to Halogen, If not do a physical check by getting out of the car and visually check. A lot of complaints have been posted about the poor high beem Halogens, if your expecting the 'brights' to be brighter than the low beam HID's, sorry, it aint gonna happen..........

pjbizjak
08-23-08, 05:41 PM
I must correct my self, when the 'brights' are either turned on manually or automatically, the HID low beams remain on.

Cliff8928
08-25-08, 12:18 AM
Yeah, The HIDs definitely stay on when the high-beams are on. Whether or not they are controlled by the intellibeam system or manually. The fog lights do shut off whenever the highs are on which is normal for all cars.

wisslerjoe
10-02-08, 11:25 PM
its taken five weeks to get my car in to get this checked.. The lights are not coming on.. I get out and check them when the indicator on the dash comes on.. hopefully its a switch in the car.. otherwise, both bulbs are out? geez what are the odds of that? CPO car and the first thing checked is supposed to be that all the headlights work.. Stupid me for not checking this when I bought the car, but it was daylight and I didn't think of it.

Aurora5000
10-06-08, 09:15 AM
is there a fuse on high beams somewhere?

jnelson
10-08-08, 06:24 PM
Oh, and by the way if your highbeams are not adjusted properly (too high or left / right of where they should be) per Cadillac that's too bad because there is no way to adjust them. Not that Cadillac thinks this is wrong and a manufacturing defect you are just out of luck. They offered me $200.00 in service work to make me go away!! My high beams are up in the trees and far left, but per Cad ooh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cliff8928
10-12-08, 02:24 AM
is there a fuse on high beams somewhere?

Sure is. If you have TT6 (intellibeam) you have a 15A fuse in the underhood fuse block labelled "smart beam"

If you have just the standard system, there will be idnividual 10A fuses for the left and right high beams.