: Doing my own head gasket

BradH
08-22-08, 12:36 AM
My 2000 SLS started overheating so I checked the coolant for cumbustion gasses. It failed the test so I went ahead and bit the bullet and pulled the engine and trans. I got the heads off tonight and the gaskets were trashed between the cylinder and outer block. I'm thinking of going the Norm's insert/Cometic MLS route. I've also got a P1860 and P0741 so I will put in a TCC solonoid while it's all out. I followed some of the threads on here that were very helpful along with the factory service manual I purchased. I dropped the cradle out the bottom by supporting it on jackstands while I lifted the car with a cherry picker as suggested in another thread. Worked perfect! A 37 Ford axle slid under the bumper mounts did the trick. Once the body was up I used 2 floor jacks to lift the cradle and set it down on dollies so I could roll it out the side.

AJxtcman
08-22-08, 08:26 PM
Why would you replace your head gsk's?
I would give you a fresh engine for the car on the left!
We could work out a deal on a fresh trans also. It is also built and sitting, but is a performance trans. I could switch it back very easy

EVERYTING MUST GO MOVING SALE!

BTW 64 or 65?
I am old and can't tell any more

BradH
08-23-08, 12:36 AM
I've already got parts on order so I'm comitted to battle on this project. The car on the left is a 64 Riviera with factory 2x4 barrel 425 nailhead. Nice eye!

Why would you replace your head gsk's?
I would give you a fresh engine for the car on the left!
We could work out a deal on a fresh trans also. It is also built and sitting, but is a performance trans. I could switch it back very easy

EVERYTING MUST GO MOVING SALE!

BTW 64 or 65?
I am old and can't tell any more

zonie77
08-24-08, 01:23 PM
Nice trio of cars.

BradH
10-20-08, 12:36 AM
It's done finally. I ended up spending a month in Louisiana for hurricane season right after I got the engine out so it set me back a little. The head gaskets were difficult but not impossible. It's the time it takes to do it all that makes it difficult. I used a fel-pro gasket set and head bolts along with norms insert kit. I followed Norm's instructions and it worked perfect. I replaced the TCC solenoid while I had the engine/trans out. I had P0741 and P1860. It was a cheap and easy fix and now the converter locks up. Hopefully I can go back to working on iron V-8s with one camshaft for fun now!

pimpdaddycaddy91
10-20-08, 01:19 AM
Great job! thanks, it gives me motivation working on mine. Ive got the engine out but I havent started the teardown yet. I'm ready to go back to old iron V8s too, anything will be easy after this job.

Playdrv4me
10-20-08, 03:20 AM
I'm ready to go back to old iron V8s too, anything will be easy after this job.

That is the understatement of the century! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.