: Firmware Issue or Bad Coolant Sensor?

2002BlueWS6
08-21-08, 08:13 PM
I recently updated my NAV firmware and am now seeing two issues:

1. The Low Coolant indicator come up on the NAV everytime a turn the car on. Perhaps this was caused by the firmware, but probably not. Is there a manual on how to replace this sensor?

2. My EQ keeps going flat. It only saves on one channel. On all other channels and CD is just reverts back to flat evertime you either turn the car off or switch band or stations. I did try to set each station and CD as I know you can set EQ differently for all of them but that did not work.

My car is no longer under warranty. Thoughts?

vegasVowner
08-22-08, 02:10 AM
Is your coolant actually low? Have you had a new radiator put in your '04? I'm on my third and it seems to be a problem on alot of '04s.

heavymetals
08-22-08, 02:27 AM
from the FAQ's:

How do I Keep the audio settings, i.e., drivers listening position....permanent?

Each radio preset keeps the audio settings that were active when it was programmed:

Example:If you programmed a radio station and the audio was on talk, then every time you go to that station, it will switch to "talk". To change this:

1. Press the radio preset that you want to change or go to the desired station
2. Change the audio settings to what you want (i.e. "Talk" for a Talk radio station, driver position for a music channel that you listen to alone, etc)
3. The press and hold the station preset.

This will effectively replace the existing preset with a "new" preset that has (and retains) your desired audio settings. Please note that for the CD changer, there is only one setting and it is not dependant on the disc or song. The CD settings are "global" and if you begin listening to a book on tape, you will need to manually change to the "talk" setting and then manually change back when you want to listen to music.

Faq submitted by Jimmy Farris, answered by Reed

ewill3rd
08-22-08, 08:00 AM
If the coolant drops to the midline seam of the coolant reservoir the sensor will turn the light on, you are probably low on coolant. Radiators and water pumps are common on this vehicle.

The audio settings are as stated, if you want to change the EQ you have to set it where you want it on your station and redo the preset, not sure about the CD.

rjoffe
08-22-08, 01:15 PM
Ewill3rd,

Could you post a bit more details about the issues with the '04 V's relative to radiators and water pumps ?

Thanks,

Ron

ewill3rd
08-22-08, 10:01 PM
There was a redesign on the radiator, the tank crimp on the bottom tank isn't put together right to hold the pressure from the water pump flow at high rpm.
The new style is all you can get these days.

The water pump is just a common place where they leak. I don't recall seeing many other leaks on a V that weren't induced by something that went wrong, like mispositioned hoses. Maybe a broken clamp here and there.

rjoffe
08-22-08, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback !

Is the radiator on the '04s a recall item ? or do I just have to wait for it to fail and pray that I am still within the warranty period.

Thanks,

Ron

ewill3rd
08-23-08, 08:17 AM
Plan B, it isn't a recall just a bulletin.
If the car is up in the air it is easy to see if it is leaking.
Usually the leak is just to the vehicle right of the lower hose. You can see the crimp was not done very well.
Even some of the replacement ones have failed, but the failure rate is much lower than the original design.
Again, GM has no stock of the old part number and the redesign went into new car production somewhere in '05 I think.