: Car Wash Addicts

Civardi
08-21-08, 03:01 AM
Has anyone used a water de-ionizer to wash their car? Costo is selling a unit made by http://crspotless.com/ for a really good price. The thought of washing my black V and 4Runner without having to worry about water spots is making me giddy.

Naf
08-21-08, 03:10 AM
Well i went to LLUMAR and got one of their wick wax jobs.Very expensive..I then pass through the autocar washes then once its done i hit the highway and FLY...(Have to beat the Heat before it all dries up)

Havent had spot issues in a while, but DUST OMG its everywhere...I even covered the car and i still get dust on it...

Black is the hardest color to keep clean...

MauiV
08-21-08, 04:25 AM
I dry in the shade and Speed Shine the car after the wash so spotting isnt an issue. Water running out of the license plate/reverse light bracket onto the bumper was a problem but now I use a leaf blower on rear/trunk deck lid, door handles, door jams, wheels, emblems and front end to remove all hidden water that would run out when I would make the first drive.

Twitch
08-21-08, 07:47 AM
I dry in the shade and Speed Shine the car after the wash so spotting isnt an issue. Water running out of the license plate/reverse light bracket onto the bumper was a problem but now I use a leaf blower on rear/trunk deck lid, door handles, door jams, wheels, emblems and front end to remove all hidden water that would run out when I would make the first drive.
Like the leaf blower trick. :cool:
Whats speed shine?

Tony

DownSouthV
08-21-08, 08:07 AM
I have to admit... I am totally using the leaf blower my next washing haha and im not talking about the car...jk =p

Twitch
08-21-08, 08:20 AM
i have to admit... I am totally using the leaf blower my next washing haha and im not talking about the car...jk =p
eewwww

rand49er
08-21-08, 08:32 AM
Chamois.

lollygagger8
08-21-08, 09:10 AM
Chamois / Absorber works just fine

Cowan480
08-21-08, 09:28 AM
I put a generator in my trunk so I can plug in my leaf blower at the car wash.

Tony is right, the leaf blower trick works well!!

2004ctsv
08-21-08, 09:58 AM
I went the deionized water route for a while. It didn't make much difference and with the amount of hardness in our water here, the cartridges exhausted pretty fast. It went out with the trash a while ago.

I have a dedicated leaf blower that hangs in the garage to knock off the heavy water. Then a chamois touch up is all that's needed.

Washin
08-21-08, 10:38 AM
How much does Costco want for it?

c4ss
08-21-08, 11:05 AM
i've never heard of someone using a leaf blower on a car before. why not just do what I do and take the car for a quick spin around the block to get the water out of the cracks before drying it off? works like a charm...and its more fun haha

rand49er
08-21-08, 11:07 AM
How much does Costco want for it?Leaf blower or chamois?

DRKSIDE
08-21-08, 11:15 AM
i've never heard of someone using a leaf blower on a car before. why not just do what I do and take the car for a quick spin around the block to get the water out of the cracks before drying it off? works like a charm...and its more fun haha

Mirrors, door handles, license plate, grooves in the rear of the car. Not to mention the grass clippings, dust and road grime that jumps into the water beads on the car while you are "drying" it at 70 mph.

I open my doors, hood, gas tank door and trunk and hit it with the blower. I do this only when I plan to wax the car (once every 2 weeks).

Any other time all I have to do is spray the dust and pollen off and drive down the road. MOST of the water will run off the car but I still keep some microfiber towels in the trunk for drying the problem areas that trap water (even at 100 mph). ;)

shudog
08-21-08, 11:50 AM
A wise old man told me that the trick to keeping a black car looking nice is to get it clean and stay off it. I know we all need to occasionally wash our cars, but with a black car, get the paint clean, claybarred, polished & sealed. Use a 3 step process from Meguiars or Zaino or some other quality car care companies. After that, just clean the surface with a car duster followed up with some quick detailer wiped down with a microfiber towel. Unless the car is really dirty, most detail afficianado's will agree this is all you need to do to keep the car finish clean & shiny. No matter how careful you are while washing, changing water, etc, you will introduce new scratches in the process, so the key is to only wash when necessary. my 2 cents of course.

BacDoc
08-21-08, 12:29 PM
Cali Duster FTW!

MauiV
08-21-08, 12:42 PM
Cali Duster FTW!

Where do you think my clear coat scratches came from?

Nothing but microfiber (and lamb mitt) touches my car now. I pressure wash all bugs an road grime off and as much dirt as I can before I touch the car, use LOTS of car wash soap with the lamb mitt, dry with microfiber drying towel and spray wax, detail with Speed Shine and microfiber towels.

BTW, you cant use cheap microfiber because of polyester edges. Cotton towels have the same problem.

MauiV
08-21-08, 12:51 PM
Like the leaf blower trick. :cool:
Whats speed shine?

Tony

The car wash I sometimes use if I dont feel like dragging everything out at the house has heated dryer hoses in the bays so that gave me the idea.

Speed Shine is a Griots product to give the car a whores bath if its just dusty and not dirty but it does a great job cleaning any water spots and you also use it with the claybar. Its my favorite car care product on the market.

I have everything but water in my runk to do a complete detail.

Civardi
08-21-08, 03:23 PM
How much does Costco want for it?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11201522&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

Natedog
08-21-08, 05:26 PM
anyone use the cali water blade for initial water removal ?

BacDoc
08-21-08, 05:33 PM
Where do you think my clear coat scratches came from?

Nothing but microfiber (and lamb mitt) touches my car now. I pressure wash all bugs an road grime off and as much dirt as I can before I touch the car, use LOTS of car wash soap with the lamb mitt, dry with microfiber drying towel and spray wax, detail with Speed Shine and microfiber towels.

BTW, you cant use cheap microfiber because of polyester edges. Cotton towels have the same problem.

I'm not that anal.

MauiV
08-21-08, 05:38 PM
Be wary of blades. If you have any dirt or anything left on the paint the blade is gonna drag it across the surface

Civardi
08-21-08, 05:57 PM
Be wary of blades. If you have any dirt or anything left on the paint the blade is gonna drag it across the surface

:yeah:

I think it took me longer with a blade than a micro fiber.

c4ss
08-21-08, 07:40 PM
well obviously I wipe it down after I take it up the street to get the water out of the cracks. I think you got the wrong idea there. I don't just wash it and LEAVE it. It's a V not a pinto.

and where do you get this speedy wash stuff? autozone or pep boys? I usually just use a spray on quick detailer by meguires when im feeling lazy, which is usually rarely.

c4ss
08-21-08, 07:42 PM
Mirrors, door handles, license plate, grooves in the rear of the car. Not to mention the grass clippings, dust and road grime that jumps into the water beads on the car while you are "drying" it at 70 mph.

I open my doors, hood, gas tank door and trunk and hit it with the blower. I do this only when I plan to wax the car (once every 2 weeks).

Any other time all I have to do is spray the dust and pollen off and drive down the road. MOST of the water will run off the car but I still keep some microfiber towels in the trunk for drying the problem areas that trap water (even at 100 mph). ;)

well obviously I wipe it down after I take it up the street to get the water out of the cracks. I think you got the wrong idea there. I don't just wash it and LEAVE it. It's a V not a pinto.

and where do you get this speedy wash stuff? autozone or pep boys? I usually just use a spray on quick detailer by meguires when im feeling lazy, which is usually rarely.

c4ss
08-21-08, 07:45 PM
oops...still learning how to use this site so please excuse the double post. Is there any way to delete the first one btw? I can't figure it out.

OldRoadDawg
08-21-08, 08:56 PM
and where do you get this speedy wash stuff?

Speed Shine (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+washing/car+cleaners/speed+shine.do?search=basic&keyword=11146&sortby=newArrivals&page=1)

Civardi
08-21-08, 09:28 PM
Speed Shine (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+washing/car+cleaners/speed+shine.do?search=basic&keyword=11146&sortby=newArrivals&page=1)

Crack for your car.

MauiV
08-21-08, 09:33 PM
Crack for your car.

MMMMMMMMMMMM. I buy it by the gallon.

rand49er
08-21-08, 09:35 PM
Speed Shine (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+washing/car+cleaners/speed+shine.do?search=basic&keyword=11146&sortby=newArrivals&page=1)I've got the Zaino 6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer. Looks similar only that Griot's stuff has twice the amount and costs a lot less.

Civardi
08-21-08, 09:43 PM
I've got the Zaino 6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer. Looks similar only that Griot's stuff has twice the amount and costs a lot less.

But does it smell as purddy?

thebigjimsho
08-22-08, 01:36 AM
But does it smell as purddy?Speed Shine smells sooo good...

atdeneve
08-22-08, 09:15 AM
Bubble Gum.

thebigjimsho
08-22-08, 12:05 PM
So the question must be asked...

Bubble Yum

or...

Bubblicious

???

capt. dan
08-22-08, 02:47 PM
If you have a good coat of wax or sealant on the car, take the nozzle off the hose and flood the car with water. It sheets off and leaves about half the amount of water to dry. I then come back and hit the trouble spots with the leaf blower and then wipe with a waffle microfiber. Leaf blower works great on the tires and wheels too.

atdeneve
08-22-08, 04:38 PM
Bubble Butt.

Civardi
08-22-08, 05:56 PM
Bubble Butt.

Even white boys got to shout.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj202/Civardi/DONK.jpg

rand49er
08-22-08, 07:38 PM
Even white boys got to shout.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj202/Civardi/DONK.jpg:eek:

ahahnu
08-22-08, 09:01 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMM. I buy it by the gallon me too.

Griots is all I use. Start with the car wash from them with their micro fiber shag mitts then california water blade (it takes practice) and I still have to use a towel to finish getting the water off If I wish to wax or speed shine. I definately carry a bottle of it and a towel in my trunk. It works great for getting dried wax off in addition to everything else. I've found that if you keep your car clean and waxed its easier to clean going forward.

As far as the leaf blower, I herd a bunch of people I know use it on the harley's. I tried it once and found it more annoying then helpful.

Speed Shine rules! Once you go Griots you never go back.