: 93 Northstar using 5w-30 ?

caddyshack24
06-12-04, 11:04 AM
Was to lazy to change the oil myself, pulled into the dealership around 8am,
They quickly hoist my car up, older technician is doing the work.. I walk over to ask him what motor oil they use, it's Valvoline, conventional 5w-30. (to late)

I questioned him about the Owners Manual saying to use 10w-30

So asked the guy in the parts department if the 93 Northstar uses 10w-30, he agreed.. said they don't even have 5w-30 there, showed me the shipping order of 200 something gallons of 10w-30 they just recieved (Lie, i've learnt that newer devilles use the 5w-30).. Made a statement about if the technicain didnt know what motor oil to use, i dont want him touching my car.. yadda yaddda

Then i ask the guy responsible for logging info into the computer, takes your keys.. that guy, i told him the situation and he says that the 93 Northstar has been upgraded to 5w-30. Nobody seems to know what the hell is going on,

my question is, have they really "upgraded" this motor?? i havnt seen the TSB

Im expecting a call from the quality control tommorrow, just wanna be prepared.

And to top it off, the old man left the oil cap under the hood and i had to wait an extra 45 minutes for him to pry the hood open.. now my latch is all screwed up!

Is 5w-30 going to lubricate everything alright? It's 95+ degree's here.
How should i handle this?
basically, fill me in on fluid dynamics :))

i need sleep

Dubya
06-12-04, 12:19 PM
i use 10-30 in the summer, 5-30 in the winter (gets cold here in mn) definatly go with the 10-30 if its 95 degrees, dont think 5 30 will hurt anything though

El Dobro
06-12-04, 12:23 PM
If the parts guy is stocking 10w-30, where did the oil changer get the 5w-30? Also, if 5w-30 is recommended for the 2000+ Northstar, why doesn't the parts guy have any?
The 5w-30 isn't going to hurt anything, but on the next change, go back to the 10w-30. Unless they also "upgraded" your engine while you were there, the oil recommendations haven't changed.
What dealer did you go to? I think we should always mention the dealer's name, good or bad.

caddyshack24
06-12-04, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the reassurance fellas.. i've been deciding if i should call cadillac on this one, not really my style but i was basically played for an ignorant owner, seeing how these folks operates makes me understand how mechanics got a bad wrap. exactly, when i told the parts man that the guy used 5w-30 he said "he doesnt know what he's talking about".. he obviously doesnt know what the fsck he's doing either. so why dont they fire the damn man.

Mechanic said he's been using 5w-30 for 4 years now.. makes you wonder, might have to check if he used 7.5 quarts or not. that and i have a mid-seal leak, dont want the thinner oil to leak on me.

Will go back to 10w-30. To any GM technicains and higher ups.. it all comes down to integrity. Like i say, its not my style but the dealership was Massey Cadillac-Oldsmobile of Sanford, FL.. which gives me an idea for Sal.
A dealership rating system, maybe can be anonymous.

Ranger
06-12-04, 04:39 PM
the dealership was Massey Cadillac-Oldsmobile of Sanford, FL.. which gives me an idea for Sal.
A dealership rating system, maybe can be anonymous.[/QUOTE] Massey, seems to me I've heard that name before on another site.
Dealership Rating System - now there is a great idea but I think to have any credibility it would need to be signed (so to speak)

eldorado1
06-12-04, 06:32 PM
They already have a "rating system" per se... it's called the better business bureau :p If they did something you don't like, file a complaint. Next time you go shopping for a service place, check with the BBB to see how many complaints a place has...

caddyshack24
06-13-04, 12:35 AM
yeah.. Massey-Cadillac is pretty huge, couple of them in Florida, Texas, Colarado, Michigan etc.

I guess i got a little bent out of shape over this.
Just that when you pay $32 dollars to someone certified in your vehicle.. you'd think they would use the correct weight of oil or atleast make it right when you call them out on it

caddyshack24
06-13-04, 03:35 AM
Alright, Going to ask for a refund and do it myself.
Dont think it will cause to much damage but i cant risk it.. i also notice the engine is "moving faster".. might just be my imagination though
found this over on caddyinfo.com forums. thanks bobobinski

The changes to the engine for 2000 were specifically made to incorporate the use of 5W30 oil for reduced viscous friction and better fuel economy. The single biggest change allowing this was the incorporation of the roller finger followers. The flat direct acting tappets used in the 93-99 engines needed the extra viscosity to form a hydrodynamic bearing film thickness of sufficient thickness to avoid wear of the cam lobes when operating at idle/low speed with hot oil. Since the 2000 and later engines have roller followers that requirement is no longer pertinent. The rollers could probably run in kerosene OK....LOL.

In other areas the main and rod bearing clearances and bearing profile was changed slightly to accomodate the 5W30 oil. In essence the bearing clearance was tightened slightly.

JohnnyO
06-13-04, 01:09 PM
Just that when you pay $32 dollars to someone certified in your vehicle.. you'd think they would use the correct weight of oil or atleast make it right when you call them out on it

:coolgleam Exactly. On the other hand, I don't think it will hurt it. 5w-30 will still hold up on the 30 weight end of the scale, it's just a little thinner starting out cold. You might notice a little more oil consumption with the 5w. Still, since you're coming into summer in Florida I'd make them put the right stuff in for free, it's not like you need a 5w.