: Cleaning Engine

Luv2Bowl
06-12-04, 10:24 AM
I have a 95 Seville SLS. The engine is absolutely filthy. Should I clean it, and if so how do I do it without messing anything up?

Ranger
06-12-04, 12:16 PM
First of all, do it with the engine cold or warm, NOT HOT. If it is really greasy you may want to spray it with Gunk Engine Cleaner then rinse. Otherwise just dishsoap works pretty well for cutting light grease. A power washer will help if you have one. If not one of those $20 engine cleaning guns from Harbor Freight or such works well also. It is just a gun that hooks to your air compressor with a syphon tub that goes into a bucket of soapy water. If you don't have a compressor a garden hose will do the job. You can cover the coil pack and alternator it you want to (I never do) or just avoid them with floods of water. The car may run a little rough when you start it as the wires will be a little wet. Just take it for a good ride to heat it up and dry it out. Then let it set with the hood up to evaporate any moisture.

growe3
06-12-04, 01:14 PM
I use Simple Green and a garden hose on a cool engine. If you have some really ugly buildup us a pressure wand at a car wash to remove that before using the Simple Green.

Use a rag or soft brush depending on what you are cleaning to avoid scratching paint or plastic items.

See also thread at link below, for others ideas on this.
http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2165

-George