: 1997 cadillac deville performance?????

zacillac1988
08-20-08, 03:44 PM
does anyone know anything i can do to my 1997 deville to make it faster ???

misfit6794
08-20-08, 04:08 PM
An exhuast will give you a tiny bump in performance, and thats about all you can do. There's no aftermarket for the northstar because its making as much power as it can from the factory, even a cold air intake will hurt horsepower.

Submariner409
08-20-08, 04:10 PM
There's not much in here or out there. To get an idea of what you're up against, pop a cold brew and start going back through These Deville threads and opening posts of interest. Then absorb the Northstar Performance threads and then read the Technical Archives at the top of the Forum page, in the black bar.

Without some very expensive, dedicated work (Nitrous, several thousand bucks, done properly; turbocharging, $12,000 and way on up, custom one-off only, no kits.)

So-called cold air is already done in the design, the air filter itself is plenty large (switch to a WIX panel filter) and the exhaust can stand a tad of opening up: for your year it will have to be a custom built system from the cat back. Don't replace the cat or you'll have nightmares with DTC's.

GM engineers already did most of the work on a DOHC 279 c.i. engine. It's pretty strong for pulling around a 4,000 lb. car.

zacillac1988
08-20-08, 06:27 PM
ok so what about the volant cold air intake made for 2001 devilles and up...could that fit on the 1997????

and also could you put the 4.4 liter supercharged northstar in a deville???

Submariner409
08-20-08, 06:43 PM
Do some homework and read up on how to modify your air intake system. It looks trick but doesn't do much of anything for performance. Read before you spend your money. I think that was in my reply...and misfit6794 pretty much echoed that opinion.

As to the 4.4 swap: NO. Different systems entirely.

I have modified my 2002 intake system ($7 + 5 hours) to increase flow before the airbox: everything after that is more than large enough. What are your expectations from an aftermarket "cold air intake" ?? Also do some searching in here on filters and MAF work and find out that GM has already picked the low hanging fruit.........it's fun to install an intake air temperature gauge to see just how phony the claims really are. (How much time do you spend at WOT - 100% open throttle ?)

Please, do some reading: There's more info in here than would fill a NYC telephone book. We've all been there !!!

zacillac1988
08-21-08, 04:14 PM
i would probably just be best of with a cts-v, if i'm looking for speed

Submariner409
08-21-08, 05:04 PM
For the CTS and STS late series there are meaningful, dedicated performance modifications available. For the Seville/Deville series prior to 2003 1/2 there are essentially none.