: Love My New MOMO

rand49er
08-20-08, 04:42 PM
Just got it last week and installed it in time for the Dream Cruise.

Not everybody's cup of tea, but I love it! :cloud9:

heavymetals
08-20-08, 04:47 PM
Same MOMO (style) knob in my V and Z. :highfive:

Twitch
08-20-08, 04:59 PM
Nice!
I almost bought that one. For weeks I was trying to figure out how I hold it most of the time. Even had my ex watch while I drive. Seems that I move my hand around too much. That knob looks like you need to hold it from the side. So I just went all UUC.

Civardi
08-20-08, 05:12 PM
Looks good. Going for the carbon fiber dash trim next? J/K

rand49er
08-20-08, 05:18 PM
Same MOMO (style) knob in my V and Z. :highfive:Where do you think I first saw it?!! :D

CtsVrod
08-20-08, 05:43 PM
Just got it last week and installed it in time for the Dream Cruise.

Not everybody's cup of tea, but I love it! :cloud9:

So is this just a straight swap? Or do you have to thread the shifter itself?? I've been wanting to switch up the shifter, but I thought most of the aftermarket shifters were not compatible.

heavymetals
08-20-08, 06:13 PM
Straight swap.

Three set screws secure it to the shaft.

You might want to file a couple of flats on the shaft just so it can't rotate.

rand49er
08-20-08, 06:21 PM
The kit comes with five or six different rubber "bushings" that slip over the existing shifter end. I had to smack the knob a few times so it would go on over that with little or no slop. Then, there's a couple of set screws. Mine doesn't wiggle at all, so it apparently works pretty well. I didn't do the filing of flats, but that's a darn good idea as heavy suggests.

However, the most creative part of the install it how you get the boot to hug up against the knob base and not slide down. Not sure how heavy did his, but someone here recently mentioned using nylon tywraps around the shifter. Well, I went one better and used a washer that was just the right size to fit over the shifter but also fit inside the underneath of the boot PLUS two tywraps.

heavymetals
08-20-08, 06:45 PM
I used some waxed, black lacing cord, although a black thin shoestring is about the same.

mbiker97
08-21-08, 12:54 AM
Not my cup of tea Randy, but it does look cool. Now you just need a heavier carbon diet in the interior.

wife permitting of course. ;)

and of course Jacob approved! :D

thebigjimsho
08-21-08, 01:05 AM
I had that MOMO shift knob in my SHO except with a silver accent. And even with the allen screws, it would spin like a sunuvabitch. So I went back to stock. That's why I haven't bothered with any aftermarket shift knob...

Speedogomer
08-21-08, 09:19 AM
I had a Momo knob in my WRX, came from the factory as an option, it was a simple ball shape with aluminum and leather and I loved it.

JD03Cobra
08-21-08, 01:20 PM
I thought it looked great in your car! For what it's worth it looks better in person!

814V
08-21-08, 04:26 PM
i like it! looks good

814V
08-21-08, 04:27 PM
I had a Momo knob in my WRX, came from the factory as an option, it was a simple ball shape with aluminum and leather and I loved it.

my scoobie has that! love it

Bigron
08-21-08, 05:11 PM
I had a Momo on my tiptronic A4

http://www.ronoversiii.com/Images/Shift_knob/shift_knob_centered_small.jpg

Pull up on it to shift into gear

Sort of wish I would have kept it.

Randy what is the weight of the knob? Same as stock?

rand49er
08-21-08, 06:16 PM
... Randy what is the weight of the knob? Same as stock?Pretty close to the stock one, if I had to guess.

I'm one of the few who doesn't like the weighty knobs.

heavymetals
08-21-08, 06:57 PM
MOMO has a pretty nice selection, and the quality shows.

If it rotates you need to file a couple of flats on the shaft.

Even the pointed set screws won't bite in enough if one exerts enough force.

Aron9000
08-21-08, 11:23 PM
Looks nice!!

Bueller
08-22-08, 01:37 PM
It looks good. I'm just not a fan of fake carbon fiber. Most people can't tell the difference. I'm not trying to flame you, your car is bad a$$. You have a serious mod bug infestation.

I had the momo F16 titanium in a G35. By ti they mean color, not the actual material.

I like the heavier UUC. It's aluminum too, not just aluminum colored paint.