: Stinky, Smelly A/C

Poopie D
08-20-08, 11:56 AM
I have had it with the smell of dirty socks coming from my A/C. I have tried everything including Lysol in the intake and letting the heater run full blast for 30 minutes!

Is it easy to remove the a/c coil so that I can clean it out? Has anyone ever done this? Any other ideas??!!

CTSV_510
08-20-08, 12:06 PM
maybe it's the poop.

smorgan
08-20-08, 02:39 PM
If it smells kinda like a wet bandade you prob have a leak in the A/C

lollygagger8
08-20-08, 02:43 PM
maybe it's the poop.

:histeric: I just spit out water

heavymetals
08-20-08, 02:51 PM
Replace the filter.

Civardi
08-20-08, 05:21 PM
maybe it's the poop.

Has TheBigJimSHO been near your car?

Poopie D
08-20-08, 05:43 PM
This thread is gonna out of control...I can just see it. But, my problem is very real. I have changed the cabin airfilter and it made no difference. I think it is mold building up on the a/c condenser coil. I want to know how I can get at it...I do not think it can be acomplished without taking the dash out though...

Maybe one of the guys at lindsay would have some ideas for me?

Civardi
08-20-08, 06:02 PM
No BS on this one I had hit a possum in my truck and had a horrible smell inside about a week later. I had to pressure wash the engine and under body. Unplesent things got washed off but the smell went away shortly after. Could you have hit or run over something and not realize it?

Poopie D
09-18-08, 12:04 AM
Does anyone have any solutions for me? I have tried everything. There is no animal stuck in the underside of my car...I have tried lysol with limited success. My dealer is useless...they checked for clogs in the a/c drain and said it was fine. I cannot stand the smell. My car is making me sick!!!

YoshiV
09-18-08, 07:44 AM
I think I have a solution for you...its a bit time consuming but I really think it will solve your problem. The HVAC system in the CTS also draws air in from below the car. If you remove the battery, battery tray and the piece of plastic cowl on the passenger side of the engine compartment (you'll have to do this to get the battery tray out) you'll find the lower air draw area. There is a rubber piece down there to keep the majority of water out but I think it still gets wet in there. My AC had some smell to it and the whole area down there had the same odor. I don't think Lysol alone will get rid of it, I had to use warm water and dish soap to clean it out. Did that and installed a Bosch carbon impregnated cabin filter from Autozone ($30 if I remember)...no more smell. Trust me it stinks down there!!

nikon
09-18-08, 09:20 AM
We used frigi fresh at my dealer....worked pretty good, lysol works almost as good though.....have you tried putting the a/c on recirculate and spraying the lysol under the dash? Otherwise we did have a machine that was some kind of deionizer that you stuck in the car with the a/c on and it fogged it out....can't remember exactly what it was...but it worked great...better than frigi fresh.

nikon
09-18-08, 09:23 AM
Oh, and I had this happen with my tahoe....ended up having a small leak on the pass side....just check your carpets to see if they're moist at all.....could be your issue.

V-Love
09-18-08, 10:53 AM
Oh, and I had this happen with my tahoe....ended up having a small leak on the pass side....just check your carpets to see if they're moist at all.....could be your issue.

Nikon is on it. If it smells earthy and funky(thats a technical term), water is the most likely culprit. Like YoshiV says, to really find it, you have to do exploratory surgery. It will be time consuming. I recommend getting the exploded parts view of the ventilation system, start at the evaporator(this removes moisture from the air), and locate the condensate line. If its all munged up(also a tech term), there is a problem with the condensate.
If none of that works, its time to find the evaporator fan motor. From there you will see if anything has sucked up into the fan. Then its all about ductwork. It must be inspected. An inspection mirror can be a great help. I hope some smart guy didn't wedge something in your return or one of your supply grills. Any little piece of protien would stink as it breaks down. That would be a whole different smell from moist funk.
Good Luck!

nikon
09-18-08, 01:54 PM
the other thing to check...dealing with moisture that is....is sunroof cars....those little tubes that drain water down the a pillar have a way of clogging pretty easily......could be anywhere really.....

Poopie D
09-18-08, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the replies...

I think I will try and drill down from the cabin air filter area. There is no moisture in the car and as far as the dealer can tell, no clog in the drain line.

I was also thinking that I could maybe try firing some water or lysol "up" the drain line to see if I could dislodge some clogage....I am just not sure where the drain tube is though...

Any ideas where I can find an exploded view of the a/c system? I heard you have to take out the dash....

Poopie D
09-18-08, 11:44 PM
Well, I took out the battery tray...nothing really dirty in the bottom intake. Found the drain (right next to the gas pedal, behind the center console) and it was clean. The a/c coil is behind the center console and would take a lot of work to get out...

While the battery tray was out, I sprayed a tonne of Frig-fresh in the fan wheel...I guess I will see what happens.

wooderson
09-21-08, 05:52 PM
I had a similar smell, kind of like cigars. My dealer found a loose clamp on one of the heater cores after a low coolant problem. Have not had the smell since they fixed it.

Leinie
10-30-08, 11:57 PM
For the problem that you are describing a carbon cabin air filter will not fix. you have mold in you evaporator. the dealer should know about this and can clean it out for you for NOT A LOT if you pre-discuss this with them.

when you run your a/c the evaporator condenses moisture which is then dumped out of the car and onto the road, most of the times. But in some cars this excess moisture doesn't get expelled from the car, it gets trapped in a pan under the evaporator much like a refrigerator and then can mold and start to stink. there is usually a plug up of some sort that causes this. you will want to get that unplugged (i have no idea how to get at this area) and then use evaporator odor control spray. the spray will kill the odor but not for long if you don't clear out the evaporator tray mold and blockage.

this problem is not just on your car but happens quite frequently on many other makes and models too. my first suggestion is to take 'er back to your dealer and ask them to fix it under the warranty (how many miles do you have on it?). they will genuinely want to help you and if they dont, go to another dealer across town if you have to. times are trying, even for caddy dealers and they should all work a little harder for your business if they know what's good for them.

p.s. a cabin filter change is always a good idea to keep dust and pollen out and a carbon filter change will help reduce the outside odors from coming in but if the odor is coming from your car's ventilation system it is already past the carbon filter.

good luck.

MauiV
10-31-08, 12:13 AM
Did you park too close to someone or take up 4 spots in a lot?

Lets just say I have heard about a guy that stood on someones hood and took a piss inside the vents at the base of the windshield on a car that parked WAY to close to his car in a parking garage. From what I understand it takes FOREVER to get that smell out.

Damn vandals.

YoshiV
10-31-08, 12:06 PM
Did you park too close to someone or take up 4 spots in a lot?

Lets just say I have heard about a guy that stood on someones hood and took a piss inside the vents at the base of the windshield on a car that parked WAY to close to his car in a parking garage. From what I understand it takes FOREVER to get that smell out.

Damn vandals.

LOL! The V's HVAC system doesn't draw air in like that...a filter full of piss would be gross...but it's pretty well protected from moisture...you'd have to lay under the car and shoot a heavy stream through the hole to hit it!!

Adrenaline
11-02-08, 08:40 AM
I actually have the same problem in my V. It smells awful sometimes when I run the AC/Heat after there's been a lot of moisture outside, but on a regular day it doesn't smell that bad so I've been putting off dealing with it. The dirty sock smell is dead on with what I'm having problems with.

GMBOUND
11-02-08, 06:49 PM
My detail man, used this product that has a plastic hose that sprays deep into the air ducts and removes, freshens, does something.
All I know is it works!
Look up Jason at Deep-Gloss Auto salon and ask him what he used!

RightTurn
11-02-08, 07:54 PM
LOL! The V's HVAC system doesn't draw air in like that...a filter full of piss would be gross...but it's pretty well protected from moisture...you'd have to lay under the car and shoot a heavy stream through the hole to hit it!!

Thanks for the visual. :lol: