: Coins behind ashtray

ericinok
08-19-08, 09:01 PM
I recently bought a 2005 CTS. My wife took all the coins out of my Lexus ES300, which had an enclosed coin tray, and placed them in my "ashtray", the little felt-lined compartment where and ashtray would be in front of the shifter.

A couple of bumps later, and some coins have popped over the tray and are now caught behind the ashtray. Every time I turn I get to hear coins sliding. Kinda annoying.

I tried taking out the little felt compartment and getting them through that little hole, but I can't reach them. Can anyone tell me another method for getting these coins out of there?

I have since taken out all of the other coins from the ashtray area. I guess I'll have to take the entire panel out to get the coins. Right?

Thanks for any help given.

CadzillaTN
08-19-08, 09:27 PM
shop vac, pencil with "tape on the end", electromagnet, one of those sticky octopus things from a box of honeycomb cereal in 1986, turn V on its side?... dunno thats all I got

rand49er
08-19-08, 09:35 PM
... electromagnet ...Only works with Canadian coins. :canuck:

j/k I've got lots of Canadian blood, eh? :hide:

ichpen
08-19-08, 11:18 PM
I recently bought a 2005 CTS. My wife took all the coins out of my Lexus ES300, which had an enclosed coin tray, and placed them in my "ashtray", the little felt-lined compartment where and ashtray would be in front of the shifter.

A couple of bumps later, and some coins have popped over the tray and are now caught behind the ashtray. Every time I turn I get to hear coins sliding. Kinda annoying.

I tried taking out the little felt compartment and getting them through that little hole, but I can't reach them. Can anyone tell me another method for getting these coins out of there?

I have since taken out all of the other coins from the ashtray area. I guess I'll have to take the entire panel out to get the coins. Right?

Thanks for any help given.

You need a 7mm deep socket attached to a screw driver/drill. Put it in the little ashtray whole and unscrew a tiny black screw. Then you can pull off the whole bottom ashtray/AC panel off with your fingers. Make sure you use a magnetic socket/screwdriver as that screw is a pain to put back on.

nikon
08-19-08, 11:32 PM
I never bothered putting the screw back in...no rattles....just incase you lose it to the abyss....like I did ;)

dasay
09-01-08, 10:26 PM
Ichpen and Nikon,

I have some coins down there too (rattle on every turn). Thanks for the help.

Pardon my ignance, but I'm not having much luck. I took out the velvety thing and the 7mm socket in the hole. Yes, it did fall into the abyss (but isn't that where my coins are?). I put a couple fingers in there and pulled, but no workie. Am I pulling in the wrong place or just not pulling hard enough? What am I pulling off...the ashtray or the whole panel? I appreciate your help (and my passengers do as well). Thanks.

CadiBlk
09-02-08, 10:14 AM
just incase you lose it to the abyss....like I did ;)

seems like most of my money is falling into this V abyss.....:rolleyes:

Kmajecki
09-02-08, 10:43 AM
It's a pain like others had said, but just pull out the whole thing that flips down. It's a pita to get the little spring back in their but it can be done. Good luck, that noise would drive me insane!

ichpen
09-02-08, 10:07 PM
Ichpen and Nikon,

I have some coins down there too (rattle on every turn). Thanks for the help.

Pardon my ignance, but I'm not having much luck. I took out the velvety thing and the 7mm socket in the hole. Yes, it did fall into the abyss (but isn't that where my coins are?). I put a couple fingers in there and pulled, but no workie. Am I pulling in the wrong place or just not pulling hard enough? What am I pulling off...the ashtray or the whole panel? I appreciate your help (and my passengers do as well). Thanks.

You're pulling on the panel not ashtray. Grab the bottom panel with your nails (both sides) and yank each side (fairly hard). You'll hear creaking but don't worry it won't brake. Just yank a little on each side of the bottom panel that houses the ashtray. It will pop out.

You then just knock it back in with your hands. Putting the screw back is optional as per previous post.