: In for service - clutch woes...

SS from the "Wood"
08-18-08, 10:03 PM
Someone please offer up your opinion... I've started this thread to offer my south Houston dealer some possible advice.

I took my 05 V in to dealer today for clutch problem today. I started to first notice there was a problem a couple months ago when my car would "stutter," for lack of a better term, a little when releasing the clutch. It's more prevalent when going up a hill from a dead stop (traffic.) It was also something that I could feel in the pedal. Additionally, there was no fluid in the master cylinder. After filling the reservoir with fresh fluid and running the car for a day, I came back to add yet more fluid. Well a month has gone by, and I still feel the clutch acting up, but I have had to put no more fluid in.

I just don't want them to blow me off, so I need some encouragement, or ideas as to what I'm experiencing.

Thanks everyone!

-Shannon

P.S. the vanity plates have been ordered, and will disclose the verdict in a few more days... I think you'll like what I came up with!

darkman
08-18-08, 10:12 PM
In my opinion I would not offer the dealer advice on what to do unless and until they claim they don't know what to do. I would start by reporting the symptoms, in this case just what you have said in your post which is the stutter and clutch fluid consumption. It is up to the dealer to run the troubleshooting sequence dictated in the Shop manual.

Your symptoms may, or may not, be related. The stutter, for example could be bad motor mounts while the clutch fluid consumption could be a leaking master cylinder, slave cylinder, or clutch fluid line.

SS from the "Wood"
08-18-08, 10:25 PM
In my opinion I would not offer the dealer advice on what to do unless and until they claim they don't know what to do. I would start by reporting the symptoms, in this case just what you have said in your post which is the stutter and clutch fluid consumption. It is up to the dealer to run the troubleshooting sequence dictated in the Shop manual.

Your symptoms may, or may not, be related. The stutter, for example could be bad motor mounts while the clutch fluid consumption could be a leaking master cylinder, slave cylinder, or clutch fluid line.

You make a good point, as I certainly wouldn't want anyone telling me how to do my job either. I did have it in for MM's recently too, but I was told they weren't problematic. When the service advisor called me this afternoon, he indicated that the tech found no evidence of a leak. However, they hadn't gone any further than a visual inspection.