: Have two questions. Was looking around and found a leak.

STSj90
08-18-08, 12:03 PM
Was messing around trying to find the vin plate on my engine. (never found it. HELP???) I found a leaking hose. Its about 5-6 inches long. Going into the thermostat housing where it Y's. Its the only little hose.. I know i can go to the parts store and get some hose and cut it to size. My question is. What does this hose do? And when i replace it. When i remove the hose and put the new one on. What do i do after that? Also, When i remove this hose, Is coolant going to come rushing out? BTW, My car isnt overheating. Im glad i found this before it got worse!!!!

I have another question. Where do i find the vin on my engine? I searched here and found that its on the right side of the engine block. Where exactly tho? Do i have to get under the car to see it? I looked for AWHILE. Couldnt find it. Are you able to see it without taking the engine out? lol

Ranger
08-21-08, 06:48 PM
Where does the other end of the hose go to? I can't recall off hand, but it might be a bypass or heater hose.

I think the VIN is stamped on a flat machined into the block near the motor mount if I remember correctly, but wouldn't swear to it. It's posted hear someplace if you search.

STSj90
08-22-08, 12:45 PM
Where does the other end of the hose go to? I can't recall off hand, but it might be a bypass or heater hose.

I think the VIN is stamped on a flat machined into the block near the motor mount if I remember correctly, but wouldn't swear to it. It's posted hear someplace if you search.

Thanks, ill look around for the vin after the tropical storm passes over me.

The hose hooks to a metal hose that routs under the throttle body and back behind the engine. Everything is so jam packed in there lol. Thats all i can see.

Ranger
08-22-08, 05:13 PM
If it goes to a metal pipe behind the engine, that is the heater pipe. They tend to rust through and are a PITA to change because of the location. Yes, it will be full of coolant. Might be a good idea to locate the drain. and drain it down some before doing it ot just let it drain from the hose if you don't mind the mess.

STSj90
08-23-08, 11:59 AM
Alright man. Thanks. Anything special i need to do after that? Wont there be air in the system?

Ranger
08-23-08, 06:48 PM
Sure there will be air in the system after you are done if that is what you mean, but the system will purge itself if the purge line is clear.

STSj90
08-23-08, 07:09 PM
Sure there will be air in the system after you are done if that is what you mean, but the system will purge itself if the purge line is clear.

Alright man. thanks

tateos
08-25-08, 12:21 PM
It sounds to me like a coolant hose for the throttle body. It's 3/8", right? Should be one on the other side also. I got the molded hose from Rock Auto, but I think you can use some straight hose also

STSj90
08-30-08, 04:18 PM
I think its 3/4'' in diameter....I have a very important question that probably cant be answer'ed correctly. I guess it depends. But around how much coolant will come out? I need to know how much coolant i need so i can put it back in.

Submariner409
08-30-08, 05:58 PM
Just have a gallon or two of DEXCOOL 50/50 mix on hand. Change the hose, fill the surge tank to around 3/4 full and start the car with the tank cap off. Is there a stream of coolant pissing from the small hose which comes from near the water pump and goes to the nipple at the top side of the surge tank? Let the engine slowly heat and purge the bubbles from the system. Stop the engine. Refill the tank to about halfway or just a tad more.....NOT to the top !!!. Replace the tank cap and go for a 20 minute drive. Come home and let the car cool to room temperature. Remove the surge tank cap and fill the tank to halfway up. No more than that. Replace the cap. Done.

STSj90
08-30-08, 06:18 PM
Just have a gallon or two of DEXCOOL 50/50 mix on hand. Change the hose, fill the surge tank to around 3/4 full and start the car with the tank cap off. Is there a stream of coolant pissing from the small hose which comes from near the water pump and goes to the nipple at the top side of the surge tank? Let the engine slowly heat and purge the bubbles from the system. Stop the engine. Refill the tank to about halfway or just a tad more.....NOT to the top !!!. Replace the tank cap and go for a 20 minute drive. Come home and let the car cool to room temperature. Remove the surge tank cap and fill the tank to halfway up. No more than that. Replace the cap. Done.

Thanks alot man. good info!

Ranger
08-30-08, 09:25 PM
1 gallon of Dex is all you need. 1 gallon of Dex + 1 gallon of distilled water = 2 gallons of coolant. More than enough.

STSj90
09-01-08, 06:14 AM
Thanks everybody. All done now! Car is great! It was a breeze. Coolant went gushing everywhere tho when i pulled the hose. Glad i covered acouple of things with trashbags before i started.

STSj90
10-10-08, 08:00 PM
Well, darn. The new hose had a little hole in it! Coolant was coming out of it. So i replaced the hose again. And ofcourse coolant went everywhere. Alittle got on an o2 sensor. Is that ok? I know o2 sensors can get wet and be fine. But is it ok for alittle coolant to get on it? Also, There WAS coolant coming out of the hole in the hose. But funny how i get the hose off of the car and i see no hole on the inside. WTF? Im not drunk:alchi: lol As of now. The car has not been started or messed with since i replaced the hose Again. I may wait till tomorrow to purge the system and refill. This has pissed me off:mad:. But atleast im putting fresh coolant in it right? :highfive::bouncy:

Ranger
10-10-08, 08:35 PM
I don't think the coolant will hurt the O2 sensor, but don't worry about it. It will let you know if it did.

STSj90
10-15-08, 02:26 PM
I don't think the coolant will hurt the O2 sensor, but don't worry about it. It will let you know if it did.

Ok, It didnt hurt it. Got the system purged and went thrue the prosses again. And thought i was done.....Everything was good untill.

Ive got another question:bouncy: lol

I didnt tighten the clamp enough this time and it leaked alot out over night. So, Would i need to purge the system again? I would be more than happy to if it needs it... I have to drive somewhere later.

Dang, this would be the third time i purged it and put fresh coolant in if i have to! lol Glad I bought extra the first time so.....:thumbsup:

Ranger
10-15-08, 04:39 PM
No. The system is self purging. Just fill it to the proper level and drive it. Take a jug of pre mixed 50/50 Dex/distilled water incase you need to top it off a little when you get where you're going.

Murphyg
10-17-08, 12:37 AM
BTW....For next time....

If the leak and or hole is right near the end of the hose......

Chances are. You dont need a new hose.

Most hoses have some play. If its leaking right near the clamp. You can trim the hose back after/behind the leak...then reattach it with a new clamp.

As long as its close enough to the end and or the clamp.

STSj90
10-23-08, 05:38 PM
Heh, I wanna drain and refill my coolant now lol. Just somthing i wanna do. I understand you cant get it All out. I did a search, Found all the info i needed except for....If i drained my system. How exactly would i mix the coolant that i refill it with? Or Would it be ok to refill it with acouple of gallons of already 50/50 premixed coolant and just refill it with that. Or? What do you recommend?

Thanks for all the help everybody. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Murphyg
10-23-08, 07:40 PM
Heh, I wanna drain and refill my coolant now lol. Just somthing i wanna do. I understand you cant get it All out. I did a search, Found all the info i needed except for....If i drained my system. How exactly would i mix the coolant that i refill it with? Or Would it be ok to refill it with acouple of gallons of already 50/50 premixed coolant and just refill it with that. Or? What do you recommend?

Thanks for all the help everybody. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

I think pre-mixed would be the way to go. No problem there.
The water they mix it with is already distilled. You know the concentration is correct; is actually 50/50... So makes sense.