: how to separate Bellhousing from block

mandra
08-18-08, 09:59 AM
I have the engine and trans out of the car but after taking all the bellhousing bolts out the t56 still wont separate from the block on the starter side.

I have tried to pry a bit and tap with a rubber hammer but am afraid of breaking something. It appears the dowel pin on that side is stuck solid.

Any thoughts on why or how to get these apart?

Thanks!

Washin
08-18-08, 12:03 PM
You need to pry them apart CAREFULLY. There are small slots in the bell housing near the dowels for this. The pins are steel and the housing is aluminum so it gets a bit crusty. After you get it apart put some anti-seize on the pins so this doesn't happen to you again. :thumbsup:

rand49er
08-18-08, 07:31 PM
One post and you come up with "I have the engine and trans out of the car ... ," and you don't elaborate? Come on! What are you doing? We don't get that many guys who've gone this far around here. As the V gets a little older, we'll see more of this, but up till now hardly any.

Are you rebuilding the motor? Are you upgrading the internals? COME ON! Fess up!!!

BTW, hope you figure this out.

STAGEUP
08-18-08, 11:20 PM
You have to CAREFULLY pry them apart. The alignment pins make seperating these two pieces difficult

v10boost
08-18-08, 11:25 PM
nothing that torch and big hammer can't handle.

J/K, like above post put some anti seize on pins. So what are you doing to it?

mandra
08-19-08, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the info. I shot some WD-40 in the dowel area and used a big old tire iron to pry it. It was so stuck the dowel pulled out of the block instead of the transmission! Lucky that nothing broke. I will definitely add some anti-seize on those upon reassembly!

The car is a bit of a sad story as at 17K on the car the drivers compartment was crushed by a huge tree falling on it. The car was totaled by insurance because the body structure was compromised. I talked with a few body shops about re-building it but they all said it wasn't worth it.

I have pulled the complete harness and computer system, Wheels, suspension and interior. Most has been sold on fleabay. The engines new home will be my 67 Camaro RS/SS

rand49er
08-19-08, 04:50 PM
And they continue to get rarer and rarer. :yup:

ewill3rd
08-19-08, 09:57 PM
I have always wanted to gut a new car and build it into a really killer old muscle car, I want to see this work!
Keep us posted.