: Headgasket Fix for $1250

ted tcb
08-17-08, 05:41 PM
I was surfing through the local Kijiji classifieds for used snow tires, and came across this ad.
I don't know what this guy is using to secure the head bolts ... he claims to have a better method than time serts.
Its refreshing to see someone offering a relatively cheap solution to the dealership rates, IF it indeed works.
Keep in mind, this is certainly not my ad ... I'm simply putting it up for
discussion, and, does anyone have any experience with this person?

Cadillac Northstar / Aurora Head Gasket Replacement - $1250

Ad ID: 54953199
Visits: 128 Location: Woodstock
Date Listed: 30-Jul-08

I'm in the business of workinging specifically on Cadillac Northstar and Oldsmobile Aurora cars. Many of these cars have a head gasket problem which is nearly impossible to work on, and dealers are charging around $4000 for this repair.
My price? $1,250 flat including parts and labour (not including pickup/delivery of vehicle). This includes the new gaskets, new Quaker State oil/filter, Prestone Dex-Cool Coolant, and new custom machined, high-strength head bolts. No hidden costs or surprises.

I know these engines like the back of my hand and have the special tools and skills/experience required to work on Cadillacs and Olds Auroras. I have done this repair on 23 of these engines already with no failures. All are still driving everyday on the road with no problems.

Yes, I do fix the stripped threads in the engine block- but a different way than with time-serts, because time-serts enlarge the bolt holes in the block too much and when you torque the heads down, the block can crack. My method will NOT do this- and is far more durable than timeserts. I use premium FEL-PRO gaskets as well.

DO NOT have your Northstar engine rebuilt or changed just because of failing head gaskets- rebuild is likely not necessary, and if the engine is sound otherwise (no severe knocking sounds), the head gasket replacement is likely all you will need to go another 200,000-300,000 kms! And sometimes if there's a slight knock in the engine, it does not necessarily mean the engine's on its last leg. There's other parts on the Northstar that can cause a slight knock and can be cheap to fix. I will tell you what many other mechanics won't. I'm quickly building a good reputation amongst Cadillac/Aurora owners.

I am offering warranty on the head gasket job itself for 30,000kms or 1 year, but I believe the repairs will last the life of the engine with proper cooling system maintenance. You get this warranty in writing, but it does not cover the engine itself against wear or abuse. My shop is located near Tillsonburg, I can arrange towing to and from at reasonable cost within 300km radius.

My name is Jake and my phone number is 1-877-866-5355 (toll free). Leave a message, or call my cell # - 519-550-0056

Due to one wonderful customer who wanted to try to pay me by trading a jet-ski, swap services, and then insisted on paying me with paypal, and one who tried to pay with a rubber cheque, everything's done now with a small service agreement, which also includes proof of warranty. I also take photos of each job, so you can see the insides of your engine, and I will return the original gaskets to you as well. Payment can be made by means of cash or certified cheque, and I will issue a receipt as proof of payment. If paying by cheque, it MUST be certified. I do not accept uncertified personal cheques.

Northstar/Aurora engines for sale ready to drop in with new head gaskets, Guaranteed not to overheat due to the gaskets $1,500 for a complete engine, installation only $500 more. Good transmissions available as well for $250 each.

Options while it's in my shop for the head gaskets:

- new water pump and thermostat add $100
- new AC Delco spark plugs and wires add $150
- all engine oil seals, guaranteed not to leak $300 during HG job
- synthetic oil add $50
- oil undercoat entire car add $145 --best oil undercoat, this stuff lasts---

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE - ANY 32 VALVE CADILLAC / OLDSMOBILE AURORA - WILL PAY ACCORDING TO CONDITION, WILL PICK UP.

zonie77
08-17-08, 06:14 PM
While I'm not sure I'd do it for that price I can see someone doing the basic job at that price. Especially if he has low overhead.

pimpdaddycaddy91
08-18-08, 12:37 AM
I am getting ready to check out two mechanic shops that were referred to me to have my headgasket replaced. I'd like to know what a fair price is to do this job with the time-serts. I was thinking it was about $2500. '99 ETC 111,000 miles.

zonie77
08-18-08, 11:32 AM
I'd agree with the $2500 for the HG's. Any extras will add a little. Have the AC fan cover changed while engine is out.

wallace902
08-19-08, 09:42 AM
Thats true! He charge very cheap price.I let him fix my 99 deville headgasket.No more over heat.He did excellent job.He is our forums member ,you can check from Canada section.

zonie77
08-19-08, 12:16 PM
Wallace, since you net him, does he seem to have a low overhead shop?

After you've done several of these they should go pretty fast. I'd expect a lift too.

wallace902
08-19-08, 02:16 PM
Since he fixed my car no coolant lost or any over heat.Until now is already five months and I drove 8000 Kms.Last week I drove 2 hours non stop ,coolant temp show normal. If the gasket lift should show some coolant lost or over heat ?

creeker
08-19-08, 04:21 PM
Thats true! He charge very cheap price.I let him fix my 99 deville headgasket.No more over heat.He did excellent job.He is our forums member ,you can check from Canada section.

What does he call himself on the forum?, would like to know if he does out of province repairs is possible.

creeker
08-19-08, 04:26 PM
[quote=creeker;1609651]What does he call himself on the forum?, would like to know if he does out of province repairs is possible.[/quot

Does he possibly do the job without removing the engine?,that would be a big time saver.

wallace902
08-19-08, 05:06 PM
As i know he didn't drop the engine ,I just e-mail to him He told me already fixed 28 cadillacs with no issue.You can call him,i believe you can call a toll free number it show as the first post.

97EldoCoupe
08-19-08, 06:31 PM
I'm the head gasket guy- I pull the engine through the top on every car even the '98+ Sevilles. It's not easy but I've got everything specially rigged up to make it simpler and faster than dropping the sub-frame. I don't even need to disconnect the A/C lines. I started experimenting with alternatives to the time-serts on my '97 Eldorado. Since then my method of repair has changed, but out of the 30+ cars I've done since I first familiarized myself with a Northstar engine, not one has failed. I know I'll hear about it very quickly from the car owners if it does because I'm offering the warranty. I intend to keep my track record of no failures. So far:

- Not one cracked block
- Not one failed gasket or pulled bolt
- No problems so far after any repairs, except a tranny cooler line leak on one car, which I repaired at my expense.

I've seen time-serts and inserts and I don't like them. They basically fix the problem by creating a new time-bomb problem. When I torque down the heads, they're going to stay torqued down- the bolts won't pull again. In time when new gaskets are required 10 years down the road, the engine can still be re-gasketed and used again.

I have a shop and low overhead, custom jigs, custom engine stands for the N* and hoist attatchments. I'm near London, ON and have done cars from New York and Michigan as well. I'm set up for Northstars only right now- I won't touch anything else.

97EldoCoupe
08-19-08, 06:41 PM
And there's no way to do the engine in the car- if it were possible, it would take way more time and you'd be working the hard way. There have been shops in my area that have tried in-the-car, and they gave up when they realized either 1) it's nearly (if not completely) impossible to re-set the cam timing while it's in the car or 2) the head bolts just keep turning and turning. And turning. Then the shops/owners send the car to me and I finish it. Which is fine, these are very difficult engines to work with if you're new to them. It takes me approx. 20 minutes now to re-set the timing chains/cams with installing the guides and tensioners, and thankfully, I haven't been a tooth out on one engine yet:thumbsup:- because that would mean pulling the engine back out again!:crybaby:

pimpdaddycaddy91
08-19-08, 07:12 PM
97EldoCoupe,

I would bring my ETC to you if I could but I am in Utah. Can you give me some suggestions to finding a good shop that would do a good HG job. I mean what questions should I ask them? I had a mechanic refer me to two shops in the area that he says works alot on northstars so i thought I would question them both on how they do the procedure and their costs. What specific questions should I ask them? Any help would be appreciated.

97EldoCoupe
08-19-08, 08:57 PM
I would definitely ask them "What's your procedure for doing the head gaskets" and ask them "can you do it while the engine's in the car" (If they say yes, steer clear) ask them the type of coolant they use, and ask "What do you do about the cylinder head bolt holes"- if they seem puzzled, again, they don't know what they're dealing with. They should at least say that they time-sert the block or use helicoils (not that helicoils are the right way but at least they're making an effort to repair the stripped threads and know what they're up against). Ask them how long it takes them. I can have a car in and out of my shop in 2 long days, just me working on it if everything goes off without a hitch (no rusty bolts). If they say a week, they're not dedicated to getting your car done. If they say a day or so, either they're faster than I am or they're skipping steps/rushing. I double check EVERYTHING as I go because I don't ever want a failure. And I tripple check the cam timing because that's not something you want to screw up.

Ask them the brand of gaskets they use. I use Fel-Pro. I've always used Fel-Pro and they've never let me down. They should know the parts they use.

And make sure they give you a written estimate and that they won't jack up the price as they go, once they find out they're in over their heads. If they know Northstars, they should be able to answer all of these questions without stuttering or sweating. Many shops have never seen one before, and some say they wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. But there are skilled N* mechanic shops out there- you just have to find them.

That's about all I can think of. And don't forget to ask them about warranty.

pimpdaddycaddy91
08-19-08, 09:54 PM
Thanks so much that helps a ton.

creeker
08-19-08, 10:18 PM
Hello,lots of great info. here,you have done cars from new york and michigan,did they deliver the whole car or just the engine,I live in british columbia and may in time need your services,would it be cost effective to ship an engine to you for resert?. thanks

97EldoCoupe
08-20-08, 05:23 AM
They delieverd the whole car- well I did pick the one from Detroit up in Windsor with my truck and tow dolly and just charged for the delivery. If you can ship your engine to me (I have no idea about shipping charges) I can have the engine repaired and ready to ship back for $600 (just head gaskets) or $900 including the case & oil seals if your's is leaking. The issue is shipping. My repair method only works for engines that have never been inserted before.

I am designing a new kit that will PERMANENTLY fix engines that have been inserted already. It's still in the development stages, I've got a block sitting in my garage that I'll be using for testing. (the inserts failed in that one) I'm 99.5% sure that this new method will be 3 times as strong/durable as factory and will never crack or damage the block/heads.

The Northstar engines are damn near bulletproof- if it wasn't for the bolts/HG problem, They'd probably see a 1/2 million miles on the factory build every time.

A note to anyone driving with a bad HG- I just did a car that threw a rod and the cause? hydro-lock. Enough coolant filled the #2 cylinder to break the connecting rod as it was being fired up in the morning. It threw the rod against the lower part of the block and broke the block. This was a 2000 model year. Do your best to just park the car and drive something else before this happens.

Edahall
08-20-08, 10:28 PM
Can you repair a block that has too much corrosion in the head bolt holes for even Bigserts or Norms inserts to make a long lasting repair?

tateos
08-21-08, 01:56 PM
I would definitely ask them "What's your procedure for doing the head gaskets" and ask them "can you do it while the engine's in the car" (If they say yes, steer clear) ask them the type of coolant they use, and ask "What do you do about the cylinder head bolt holes"- if they seem puzzled, again, they don't know what they're dealing with. They should at least say that they time-sert the block or use helicoils (not that helicoils are the right way but at least they're making an effort to repair the stripped threads and know what they're up against). Ask them how long it takes them. I can have a car in and out of my shop in 2 long days, just me working on it if everything goes off without a hitch (no rusty bolts). If they say a week, they're not dedicated to getting your car done. If they say a day or so, either they're faster than I am or they're skipping steps/rushing. I double check EVERYTHING as I go because I don't ever want a failure. And I tripple check the cam timing because that's not something you want to screw up.

Ask them the brand of gaskets they use. I use Fel-Pro. I've always used Fel-Pro and they've never let me down. They should know the parts they use.

And make sure they give you a written estimate and that they won't jack up the price as they go, once they find out they're in over their heads. If they know Northstars, they should be able to answer all of these questions without stuttering or sweating. Many shops have never seen one before, and some say they wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. But there are skilled N* mechanic shops out there- you just have to find them.

That's about all I can think of. And don't forget to ask them about warranty.

I think you make some impressive claims and I don't doubt you know what you're talking about, but I can't stand the suspense, so I will take your suggestion and ask you: "What's your procedure for doing the head gaskets?" It's not a secret, is it? Inquiring minds want to know.

zonie77
08-22-08, 01:54 AM
Yep, I'm interested too. Let us know as much as you aren't keeping a secret.

mikelawson
08-26-08, 02:00 PM
This all sounds a little bogus to me. Simple physics will tell you when you have weak aluminum in the block, there's no way it's going to hold any kind of pressure regardless of some miracle fix. I have done 6 of these, alll 98's and newer and they can easily be done in the car. I had to replace one engine since it had bottom end damage and i think dropping the cradle and fighting all the electrical harnesses is insane I do this on the side and wouldn't dream of doing it for less than 1800, so I'm doubting the validity of someone doing it for 1250. I have developed my own insert kit using the best of Norms and timesert and have had 0 problems with any of them. The only downside to in the car repairs is not being able to replace the oil pan and case gaskets is they are leaking, but I am working on something for the oil pan. Until we hear more of the details of the stronger repair, I have to call this bs.

Mike

tateos
08-26-08, 05:23 PM
Since there has been no response, I can only guess at what his fix involves. Maybe he is drilling and tapping the holes oversize and using studs, or oversize bolts threaded directly into the aluminum block? What do you guys think?

mikelawson
08-26-08, 10:55 PM
You may be right, but I don't believe it's 3 times stronger than a proper insert. Once the insert is in with loctite, a lot of the pressure is on the inner threads of the insert vs the soft aluminum.

Mike.

alexo1us
08-27-08, 09:43 PM
You may be right, but I don't believe it's 3 times stronger than a proper insert. Once the insert is in with loctite, a lot of the pressure is on the inner threads of the insert vs the soft aluminum.

Mike.
I believe this guy although I'm unsure how he does it (the repair) if he is setup to do them his way he could have it down to a science could just take a 1/3 less time to do it. then you take.
I will not comment on any repair but to say any repair will be only as good as the block will hold even your repair relies on the how strong the block is torque those head bolts or studs to far they will pull out.

His repair will be no different but I can also say that if setup these engines will come out in less then an hour i seen them come the bottom looks like it can be done from the top as well but haven't seen it done.

I don't own a caddi yet but looking now will find an eldo, looking at a sweet one now 99 touring coup pearl white and tan and its got a northstar if it needs gaskets after I get it I'll get it done.
every year I'll check for exhust gasket issues. I think the biggest issue is the gaskets failing catching them too late is the biggest problem after the gasket fails it allows the bolt holes to be exposed to corrosion causing them to pull out.
bottom line is like all aluminum engines made, they are very weak on running hot even one spike can cause enough to blow a gasket.

So here is my regiment for avoiding this issue
check every year for exhaust gases in the coolent
At the first sign of my cooling system not performing as required it will get repaired.
use only the best supplies after all it is a caddi.

It may not keep me away from the head gaskets but I'm sure I will not ruin the bolt holes or block.
but if it does happen I will most likely try this guy since it is cheap enough for me to let someone else do it if it works.
I can see a fix that would use studs with out the need for incerts that has work for me on other like issues see no reason other then the block being so bad that it would hold an incert ether
just my 2cents going on my experence not much on the northstar, but this is an aluminum block.

97Concours1
08-29-08, 11:36 AM
I can see where you could come up with a custom oversized stud and have a thousand made for something like $5 each. Approx. $100 then for 20 studs, and a couple hundred in other expenses. That leaves $1000 in profit for two days work. $500 per day isn't too bad! The headgaskets are actually pretty inexpensive, and he's NOT paying $350 for Norm's or timeserts. I'm sure he doesn't want to give away the specific details of his operation and then have a bunch of competition. Maybe he should charge $1850 so people don't question him so much...

tateos
08-29-08, 12:37 PM
C'mon - how much competition can he possibly have in his area for $1,250?

alexo1us
08-29-08, 03:44 PM
if want to keep in under his hat great.
if I have to do this job I just may have him try it but I will be watching him and he would have to explain how he was going to repair it to me then
there is only two ways to repair a stripped hole one is to drill it and put ether a bigger stud or dare I say it incerts. or fill the holes with using sort of a welding thing which I would not let happen at any price.

tateos
08-29-08, 05:11 PM
I didn't doubt him at first, but the fact that he does not want to share the procedure now makes me suspicious. I would need to know before I would have him do it also.

Cultoo Suntory
09-06-08, 08:20 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/canada/135585-northstar-head-gasket-repair-sw-ontario.html#post1483433

I found this browsing the canadian section, with the explanation of how he does the repair. I was curious also, I have a co-worker with a 99 sls that she loves that needs HGs.

97EldoCoupe
09-13-08, 08:54 AM
I haven't had an internet connection for a few weeks. And no, I'm not going into detail on how I'm doing it. If I were only doing this as a hobby, yeah I'd let out the details. But I'm not, so I won't. Personally, I don't care who thinks i'm full of BS. Yes it does involve larger coarse threads in the block but exactly how I do this procedure, is not going to be let out. Part of the $1250 deal, is that even the owner of the car won't know EXACTLY how I do it. All that matters, is that when the car is done, is that the bolts will keep the clamping pressure on the head gasket and that it won't fail. 32 engines now. 0 Failures. And hell no, I would never fill the holes with any kind of 'miracle' compound. Only a retarded idiot would do that. If there's no aluminum to hold the bolt/stud, forget it. I wouldn't touch it then.

I have people calling me to find out exactly how I do this. To each his own. I spent a lot of time developing this method, perfecting it, making special jigs and working with a machinest. Why would I let this out? $1250 is low. Yes. It's hard work. Scraped knuckles, sore elbows, I'm doing it for that price because I want to get every single Cadillac in my area in my shop to do the head gaskets. I want to make it well worth it to the owner to come to me, instead of GM.

All that matters is that for $1250 I can fix your Northstar, guarantee it for a year or 18,600 miles (30,000kms) and I'm 98% sure you won't have a problem for another 5-10 years depending on how you maintain your N*.

Someone mentioned doing the HGs in the car? And I'm Batman. Especially on '98+ STS/SLS, you can't even remove the front cam cover "in-the-car".

alexo1us
09-13-08, 12:09 PM
I haven't had an internet connection for a few weeks. And no, I'm not going into detail on how I'm doing it. If I were only doing this as a hobby, yeah I'd let out the details. But I'm not, so I won't. Personally, I don't care who thinks i'm full of BS. Yes it does involve larger coarse threads in the block but exactly how I do this procedure, is not going to be let out. Part of the $1250 deal, is that even the owner of the car won't know EXACTLY how I do it. All that matters, is that when the car is done, is that the bolts will keep the clamping pressure on the head gasket and that it won't fail. 32 engines now. 0 Failures. And hell no, I would never fill the holes with any kind of 'miracle' compound. Only a retarded idiot would do that. If there's no aluminum to hold the bolt/stud, forget it. I wouldn't touch it then.

I have people calling me to find out exactly how I do this. To each his own. I spent a lot of time developing this method, perfecting it, making special jigs and working with a machinest. Why would I let this out? $1250 is low. Yes. It's hard work. Scraped knuckles, sore elbows, I'm doing it for that price because I want to get every single Cadillac in my area in my shop to do the head gaskets. I want to make it well worth it to the owner to come to me, instead of GM.

All that matters is that for $1250 I can fix your Northstar, guarantee it for a year or 18,600 miles (30,000kms) and I'm 98% sure you won't have a problem for another 5-10 years depending on how you maintain your N*.

Someone mentioned doing the HGs in the car? And I'm Batman. Especially on '98+ STS/SLS, you can't even remove the front cam cover "in-the-car".

Keep up the good work. But lets face it it's not rocket science. Your method can't be much different then the repairs I have done/seen in the marine environment.
Do I think you can do this? Hell yes. If setup you can do it in about 6 hrs suspect.
For me as I said before I really don't care how you do it as long as it is right. Besides no one even dealers who work on my stuff never get to do it unwatched. The dog dealer that maintains my jeeps and rams
All know to setup a chair for me. Anyone who won't allow this I wouldn't let them work on my stuff. In my company I'm the one who makes sure it's done right and I do.
I bought this car for my wife to drive So far she has loved it.
Being old some funny things do to corrosion in the light plugs and some connectors few minutes to clean them up and it's fine.
I understand why you don't want to explain it here. But saying it in this manor will only hurt your chances at getting more work.
Unlike myself there are not many that would take the time to watch.
But you will need to explain it before starting unless you're going to put it writing that you will guarantee in writing for the 5 to 10 years the fix.
I doubt that you will.
As I said before keep up the good work, maybe getting some of the 32 you have done to come here and talk about how the repair is doing.
The guys and gals here are very Anal about the caddi's if you want to do work from here you will need to be more open as to what it is your doing.
Just my 2 cents
Alex

97EldoCoupe
09-13-08, 01:32 PM
Well, I told you. I won't go into detail. But I said all I need to. Larger, coarser threads in the block. If people want to spend the $3-$5k at a dealer, rather than take the chance and have me do it, by all means. Of course it's not rocket science.

alexo1us
09-13-08, 02:13 PM
Well, I told you. I won't go into detail. But I said all I need to. Larger, coarser threads in the block. If people want to spend the $3-$5k at a dealer, rather than take the chance and have me do it, by all means. Of course it's not rocket science.
yep your a caddi owner....

keep up the good work I see another post who has used your fix. says it is great. we will get a chance to see how it holds up. I suspect given what you have said, gives me a pretty good idea of how you do it. So it should, at least be as good as original you know the other 95% that will not have this issue.
Maybe better since I'm sure you only use top quality gaskets and other parts
I do like the fact that you are picky about which ones you do lets face some are just left too long before the fix and there is just nothing left to attach too.
good luck i sure there are many who will use your shop giving them miles of great times with their Nstars
Alex

jeffrsmith
09-24-08, 04:16 PM
Bump for nycSTS

frontflip97sls
09-28-08, 08:08 PM
Anyone had this fix and gone well over the warranties? My friend talked to a few dealers and they said it runs fine for a while but soon enough it'll start acting up again. Obviously this is probably solution vs. solution, and this guy does sound legit, but its always better to be safe than sorry.

Ranger
09-28-08, 08:17 PM
If it is Timeserted it will outlast the rest of the car. If not, then it's a crap shoot and that's probably what the dealers are doing.

NycSTS
09-30-08, 02:41 PM
If it is Timeserted it will outlast the rest of the car. If not, then it's a crap shoot and that's probably what the dealers are doing.

If a timesert is that good and he is as confident that his systems works better then that would be great...Finally an affordable HG repair

Playdrv4me
10-02-08, 06:51 PM

What do you think is the final word on Timeserts Ranger? I see AJ and this guy both saying Timeserts are a "bandaid" or that they "dont like them" because they make the holes bigger and pull back out yada yada yada. Yet others seem to believe the Timeserts once done are done and the problem should not recur.

Playdrv4me
10-02-08, 06:54 PM
If a timesert is that good and he is as confident that his systems works better then that would be great...Finally an affordable HG repair

It may be affordable but it sure isn't worth a hoot to those in about 40 of the lower 48 states. Based even on his advice you sure as hell aren't going to DRIVE there with bad H/Gs and shipping back and forth your motor involves getting someone to take it out and shipping both ways. You are right back at square 1 with 3500.00 in repairs and a shitload of time playing around. Minimum cost would be towing both ways and that ain't cheap with today's gas prices.

If he can't share the method, it is worthless down here.

When I was living in Florida, one of our members, ClarkZ71 offered me a DAMN good price on the HG job and I could tell when I met him (I took a Mercedes to him to evaluate but I ended up getting rid of the car) that he really enjoys working on the Caddies and the cars in general. I don't want to reveal the price we discussed (it's in the back threads of the forum somewhere) but if you are in the southeast, I would contact him if he's still around and ask if he will help you out. Very nice guy.

tateos
10-02-08, 08:09 PM
It may be affordable but it sure isn't worth a hoot to those in about 40 of the lower 48 states. Based even on his advice you sure as hell aren't going to DRIVE there with bad H/Gs and shipping back and forth your motor involves getting someone to take it out and shipping both ways. You are right back at square 1 with 3500.00 in repairs and a shitload of time playing around. Minimum cost would be towing both ways and that ain't cheap with today's gas prices.

If he can't share the method, it is worthless down here.

When I was living in Florida, one of our members, ClarkZ71 offered me a DAMN good price on the HG job and I could tell when I met him (I took a Mercedes to him to evaluate but I ended up getting rid of the car) that he really enjoys working on the Caddies and the cars in general. I don't want to reveal the price we discussed (it's in the back threads of the forum somewhere) but if you are in the southeast, I would contact him if he's still around and ask if he will help you out. Very nice guy.

So where do you live now? Your'e ID says TPA, FL - no?

Ranger
10-02-08, 08:25 PM
What do you think is the final word on Timeserts Ranger? I see AJ and this guy both saying Timeserts are a "bandaid" or that they "dont like them" because they make the holes bigger and pull back out yada yada yada. Yet others seem to believe the Timeserts once done are done and the problem should not recur.

I think Norm's inserts have a coarser thread and that is what they may be talking about. I am far from an expert, but I haven't heard of any failing. Then again I don't see them like AJ does. I think AJ was talking about the base metal. If it is powdery it will fail, but if the base metal is solid, I'd think it would hold. Making the hole bigger doesn't hurt. Any insert has to make the hole bigger.