: seriously clogged purge line! need help!

SoWorriedDriver
08-17-08, 12:12 AM
My uncle 98 deville has an overheating issues. I offered him help, and I started looking for overheating threads in this forum. it was so helpful. a lot of good info.

So, I started first by checking the purge line to make sure it is ok, but it wasn't. There was no flow at all.

I tried to blew it with air pressure. but it didn't help.

the long pipe under the beauty cover is ok and the rubber tube at the ends are ok too. I think it has a plug inside the fitting of the pumphousing or somewhere deeper.

I tried a finishing nails, clothes hanger, thick wires but it didn't help too, because of that fitting has two 90-degree curves.

my questions are:

Could it be ok but there is something else responsible for water/air not coming out of the purge line?
Or is it certainly clogged?
If it deeply clogged, do I have to resemble any thing to clean? or could I do it with some special tool, and save myself removing things?

please help!!

dkozloski
08-17-08, 12:39 AM
A pretty good tool is the string from a weed whacker. In the old days, a piece of speedometer cable in a quarter inch electric drill would do it.

SoWorriedDriver
08-17-08, 01:20 AM
dkozloski,

Thank you so much for the help.

I'm going to try the electric drill. but I am not sure I have a speedometer cable.

I will try with other cables. and be back.

CadillacSTS42005
08-17-08, 01:24 AM
for the mean time just remove the line from the overflow

SoWorriedDriver
08-17-08, 09:30 AM
for the mean time just remove the line from the overflow

Yeah, I did that.

but the 90-degrees curves made it impossible to go deeper. I think I have to resemble the throttle body right? do I need to buy TB gaskets? what should I be aware of before I start?

Ranger
08-17-08, 10:49 AM
I can't imagine that you'd have to disassemble anything to clear it. An .080 diameter weed wacker line should do the job.

SoWorriedDriver
08-17-08, 12:46 PM
I can't imagine that you'd have to disassemble anything to clear it. An .080 diameter weed wacker line should do the job.

Yeah, I think I went too far on that.

The thing is that the fitting is so rusty inside.
a flexible electric wire went ~3" inside the fitting, and still no water/air coming out.
I would try a weed wacker line, but I don't have it and don't know where to buy it. I'll look for it.

I'm not going to disassemble any thing now. I'll just try everything I could before I do that.

Thank you Ranger.
Thank you CadillacSTS2003

Thank you gentlemen.

zonie77
08-17-08, 03:16 PM
It sounds like he's had problems for awhile and has been adding water, even worse would be adding some head gasket fix in a can.

If he added the HG fix you may have to disassemble to clean it properly. You probably should drain and refill the cooling system with the proper mix.