: Almost Overheating - is this Head Gasket ?

mojointz
08-16-08, 10:21 PM
Late winter/early spring my 97 deville started acting up. I would fill up my coolant way to much...weird thing is that i wouldn't really see any leaks. In any case, the problem got worse and I brought it to a few people.

Some people have said Head Gasket.... a few other guys aren't sure, they say they're not convinced its head gasket, and could be something else.

It gets hot pretty fast. I'm a little unsure because even though it gets hot, the car drives like a kitten. I've never pushed it hard enough to overheat but I've definitely sure it would if I kept running it.

I've parked the car ever since and I'm looking for a used engine since it would cost me at least $2000 to do the head gasket job.

Any ideas on where I could pick up a used engine...I'm based in Ottawa, Canada...

or does anyone have any other advice. I've taken it to a few mechanics but not the Cadillac dealership...maybe that should be the next plan.

Lithorian
08-17-08, 01:38 AM
check the crossover gasket, ive heard that it can leak coolant and you would never see a drop on the ground.

Ranger
08-17-08, 10:35 AM
With a used engine, there is no guarantee that you won't have the same problem down the road unless it was already Timeserted or you have it done before installation.

misfit6794
08-17-08, 10:41 AM
My engine ran perfectly with a blown headgasket, amazing since the heads were barely stilll connected to the block.

zonie77
08-17-08, 11:49 AM
N*'s do not put coolant in the oil even with a badly blown HG.

N*s run well, even with a badly blown HG.

N*s last a long, long time. 250K is still in it's life span.

If it runs well now you don't need a valve job, just thread inserts in the aluminum block and new HG's.

Saying that, you should get the coolant tested for exhaust gases. Make sure the car is warmed up and the coolant has been in there a while. (Fresh coolant gives a false negative)

Because it's OHC and FWD the cradle should be dropped to facilitate repair. I'm pretty sure it will run a little more than $2000. It is something you can do if you're a reasonably good DIY mechanic with perseverance. It is a long tedious job but doable at home.

zonie77
08-17-08, 07:39 PM
There's another current thread about a guy in Canada (not sure what city) doing HG's for $1250.

tateos
08-19-08, 01:04 PM
There's another current thread about a guy in Canada (not sure what city) doing HG's for $1250.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/147522-headgasket-fix-1250-a.html