: 94 northstar cooling issue

allforenot
08-16-08, 10:15 AM
hi guys im new here i have a 94 eldo and it just started to have a cooling issue. i have had this car for 5 years and it sat dorment for the pasr 1 year. when i put it back on the road the waterpump belt broke and the car display told me to shut off the engine so i did... i limped the car back home only about 5 blocks or so.. replaced the belt added 50/50 coolant but the car seems to ber running hot... the fans come in at 223(low) and the temp runs between 212/225 at idle and i mean for over 2 hrs or so..i replaced the cap t-stat just in case... but when i shut the car off i hear gurgling from the upper hose... the car doesnt lose fluid or overheat... no white smoke from exhaust and nothing in the oil so i would rule out a head gasket correct? i was told about air in the system. i thought it was bs once b4 with a mark VIII i had but it wound up being air..... so now for the 1 millinon dollar question..... how do i take care of this problem... thanks guys
tony

mgturbo1
08-16-08, 01:59 PM
hi guys im new here i have a 94 eldo and it just started to have a cooling issue. i have had this car for 5 years and it sat dorment for the pasr 1 year. when i put it back on the road the waterpump belt broke and the car display told me to shut off the engine so i did... i limped the car back home only about 5 blocks or so.. replaced the belt added 50/50 coolant but the car seems to ber running hot... the fans come in at 223(low) and the temp runs between 212/225 at idle and i mean for over 2 hrs or so..i replaced the cap t-stat just in case... but when i shut the car off i hear gurgling from the upper hose... the car doesnt lose fluid or overheat... no white smoke from exhaust and nothing in the oil so i would rule out a head gasket correct? i was told about air in the system. i thought it was bs once b4 with a mark VIII i had but it wound up being air..... so now for the 1 millinon dollar question..... how do i take care of this problem... thanks guys
tony

no white smoke from exhaust and nothing in the oil so i would rule out a head gasket correct? Incorrect. Probably head gasket. My .02

STSj90
08-16-08, 09:53 PM
Probly air in the system. 225 isnt overheating. I say you got air in the system. And at idle. With the car just sitting its normal for the temp to get up there in the 220's and even can get to 232. Turning on the air will turn on the fans to high. That will lower the temp. But still. Since all that happend after the belt broke and you added some coolant. I say its air in the system.

allforenot
08-16-08, 10:24 PM
STSj90 do you know how to get the air out of the system? i figured it wasnt a hg being it was never calling for coolant after 2 hrs of idling/driving...thanks
Tony

Ranger
08-16-08, 10:25 PM
Check the purge line first. Do a search for "purge line". If that is OK, then get concerned about the head gaskets.

allforenot
08-16-08, 10:27 PM
thanks ranger.... to save me the hassel of searching think u can tell me how to do it? thanks
Tony

allforenot
08-17-08, 10:39 AM
Check the purge line first. Do a search for "purge line". If that is OK, then get concerned about the head gaskets.

ok i found the purge line:D it was clear.but i started the car with the line off and let run for a few sec and there was coolant flowing so i put the line back on... took the car for a ride and car ran a lot cooler i guess it was air in the system....... i hope i did that right :hmm:.... thanks guys
Tony

Ranger
08-17-08, 10:42 AM
The purge line is the 3/8" line at the top of the surge tank. Loosen the clamp and start the engine (cold). Pull the line off. You should see coolant flow. If so, quickly plug it back on and reclamp it. If not, shut down, locate and clear the obstruction.